Fabia vRS 1.4 TSI's modifications

vRSy

thats with no back seats, and lightweight racing seats running semi slick toyo R888 tyres though.

For guys considering tuning the vRS bear in mind the full turbo back exhaust (TBE) is not required for stage 2 modifying. All you need is the downpipe and sports cat( about £550). the second part of the system (called the cat back, slightly cheaper @ about £450) contains the silencers and will give naff all gains.

Far to often i see questions like : what's needed for stage 2, for guys to answer with the full exhaust system. Not on really when its going to cost them an extra £450 that they didn't necessarily need to spend. Same thing happened to me on my ST.

If you want the noise AND power then get the full system. (will require stage 2 mapping)

If you want just the power gains and a deeper exhaust note get the downpipe. (will require stage 2 mapping)

If you want noise get the cat back. (can be fitted to a standard car with no issues)

Im still keen to see the standard downpipe and see if there's a pre cat that can be removed. If so i'll then go for a stage 1+ setup. So stage 1 map tweaked for intake and OEM exhaust with first cat removed.

thats with no back seats, and lightweight racing seats running semi slick toyo R888 tyres though.

Exactly. The car was a fair bit lighter yet only gained 0.2 on his 0-60 so i'm guessing an extra 20BHP should push it in to the mid 4's. Which is nice :D

Can't comment on how the fabia will perform as no one know yet. It'll be similar though I expect.

I would love to mate but i'm going travelling to South East Asia for 8 months come July so all my cash is going towards that :D

When I get back I have a few plans in mind. Depends on what work I can get.

Fair play, can't fault you for travelling :thumbup: I will be doing some more this year hopefully!

On the original topic, it would be interesting to see what exahust they release which is compatible with the VRS. That would be a nice little mod in itself without the remap. Although, I have to say, from outside the stock VRS' exhaust note is particularily nice :)

Edited by Stu vRS

Dont know yet. 230BHP Peak minimum i'd guess. More like 240ish. It'll probably gain 50/60BHP at some points in the rev range over stock.

There is a Cupra already doing 4.9's pushing out less power.

Mardon just out of interest how was your Ibiza mapped? Via the OBD or did they have to open the ECU?

Mine is an early 2010 model so via OBD

So have the latest Ibiza's also been re-encrypted to they can't yet be re-mapped via OBD like the fabia?!

Hope somebody manages to find a solution so it can be mapped via the OBD soon. You would think one of the big re-mapping companies like Revotechnik or Superchips would be able to find a way?! Would be very frustrating if it couldn't be done :'(

Then again I remember when Nissan launched the latest GT-R the ECU was said to be 'unbreakable' and it would 'never' be able to be tuned :giggle:

the mid 2010 cars all the way upto the dec2010 cars are ion the first encryption the released. this meant they had to remove the ECU to remap it. from Dec 2010 onwards they have a newer ECU which apart from Ptorque it looks like none of the tuners can bypass just yet

I wouldn't really bother playing around with it too much as anything over 200+ BHP in a fabia hatch is going to be too much, the poor thing won't be able to put the power down.

why not. I guess your a guy who says that anything more than 200hp in a front wheel drive car is not drivable.

have you ever owned a car with more than that?? I have on numerous occasions and all of them i have heavily modified. I also do alot of track days and provided you are willing to spend the money in the required places you'll find it is 100% fine. Ive driven 360Hp leons, octavias and golfs, if you cant drive, then you'll find its to much. if you realise that the accelerator isnt an on/off switch and you understand how to drive correctly they are not to dissimilar to drive from a normal hatch.

So fill your boots and ddont play with it, but when your used to fully modified FWD cars running close to 300Hp you realise its actually not to bad at all.

the biggest difference is tyres. stock tyres arent there for grip, they are there because they are cheap. first thing i do is change them for some proper top end tyres. and with that in mind its only the wet where you get the issues wit power, but as long as you have good tyres and a well set up chassis your fine

Oh look how undrivable this Ibiza is. same chassis, same gear box, same engine etc etc etc. hes really struggling :giggle:

why not. I guess your a guy who says that anything more than 200hp in a front wheel drive car is not drivable.

have you ever owned a car with more than that?? I have on numerous occasions and all of them i have heavily modified. I also do alot of track days and provided you are willing to spend the money in the required places you'll find it is 100% fine. Ive driven 360Hp leons, octavias and golfs, if you cant drive, then you'll find its to much. if you realise that the accelerator isnt an on/off switch and you understand how to drive correctly they are not to dissimilar to drive from a normal hatch.

So fill your boots and ddont play with it, but when your used to fully modified FWD cars running close to 300Hp you realise its actually not to bad at all.

the biggest difference is tyres. stock tyres arent there for grip, they are there because they are cheap. first thing i do is change them for some proper top end tyres. and with that in mind its only the wet where you get the issues wit power, but as long as you have good tyres and a well set up chassis your fine

Oh look how undrivable this Ibiza is. same chassis, same gear box, same engine etc etc etc. hes really struggling :giggle:

Nice clip you know what kinda figures he's running on his cupra? i assume its revo stage 1 so around 220hp?

Nice clip you know what kinda figures he's running on his cupra? i assume its revo stage 1 so around 220hp?

just a remap, R888 tyres and suspension. Considerfing the underpinnings there is no reason why that couldnt be a fabia vRS doing that.

Heres the 1/4 mile in a stage 1 car ( he has a cat back exhaust but that wont give any power) its mainly the tyres and suspension helping out, he reckons 220Hp, for whats its worth that 1/4 mile is quicker than a Mk2 Focus RS, and the same as the stage 2 330Hp Ed30GTI's/Cupra's and S3's.

just a remap, R888 tyres and suspension. Considerfing the underpinnings there is no reason why that couldnt be a fabia vRS doing that.

Heres the 1/4 mile in a stage 1 car ( he has a cat back exhaust but that wont give any power) its mainly the tyres and suspension helping out, he reckons 220Hp, for whats its worth that 1/4 mile is quicker than a Mk2 Focus RS, and the same as the stage 2 330Hp Ed30GTI's/Cupra's and S3's.

Sounds like he has a Forge BOV spacer too?

(I know this makes no difference to power, just an observation)

If that is just the mods you mentioned, then that is insane!

Edited by Stu vRS

Yep all that '200bhp is too much' is nonsense.

I used to own a car that had a vq35 engine in FWD, it put out damn near 280bhp and similar torque, front wheels would spin up if asked to but 99% of the time it behaved itself.

Its all dependant on HOW the engine delivers its power, the VAG cars are like N/A cars in that they progressively deliver their power from low RPM so the tyres have a chance to grip.

Big turbo FWD cars with there....nothing....nothing...nothing...BANG.... delivery tend to just smoke the wheels on FWD cars.

My twintercooler may be up for sale soon if anyone is interested..

i know with the twintercooler on the mk5 platform, whilst the core was the same, the mounting points between the golf, octavia and leon for the intercooler were all different so they weren't a direct swap. I found this out the hardway lol.

Then there is this thread as well Forge vRS development

That is rapid!

The driver is obviously a really good driver and knows the track well. In some places in the video it all most looked speeded up lol.

As for FWD drive cars with alot of BHP my Focus RS MK2 was pushing 360bhp from Mountune and I never had any problems at all.

Tim

Just a FYI the guy in the cupra is also running KW V1 coilovers set up to his own specification. This will also make a difference.

The other good thing about the 1.4TSi set up with regards to getting the power down is the supercharger. Since this is not affected by a remap the car feel pretty much stock below 2500rpm once the altered boost of the remap kicks in with the turbo the car pulls much harder and longer up the rev range. What this means is you can literally boot it in Sport mode and it’ll grip like usual. No need to ease on the power as such, Once I’m in 3rd gear onwards I change gear to match the powerband.

I know of 5 people with stage 1’s all running low 5’s 0-60 and this is due to the ease of getting the power down.

When on the road the new XDS (E-Diff) does work well and I get very little under steer or torque steer. I am running coilovers and a rear ARB but others who do not haven’t complained.

There are a few vid’s of mine on youtube of me on the quatermile. Search for mardon85

Here in taiwan the importer stopped bringing in the golf gti's and just bring in the 1.4tsi's.

This is because its now well known that the 1.4 when remapped is actually quicker 0-60 and on the 1/4 mile than even a mapped 2.0t............. thats going to get some trolls screaming, but its been proven time and time again at many events.

we are talking about 2/10ths of a second but its enough as its alot cheaper to buy the car, cheaper on tax and insurance.

i need to dig up some magazines showing results.....

With the DSG is it possible to add cooling? It sounds like temperature is it's real enemy. Keeping the temp down would prolong clutch pack life, delay the safety cutting in and disengaging drive.

Guessing any diy efforts are going to be limited to directing more air at the gearbox casing, adding oil cooler for the 6 speed or some air cooling method for the 7 speed would be too hard I guess.

Maybe some tubing like for directing brake cooling air from the front. I think the under trays are already vented at the gearbox.

• 2 months later...

Small thread revival,

Just looking at the Fabia MK1 modding options available, seems like a very good range. Question is, do people expect this level or greater of mods to be available on the MKII and if so, how long before we start seeing brake kits, multiple induction kits, strut braces etc?