VRS is now on VAT free offer

runboy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so how would you suggest I approach my dealer about this in the politest way possible?

Bear in mind I negotiated a reasonable discount at the time of ordering in November and all he's done is scrap my original deal and replaced it with the VAT free offer. Nothing more than that and nothing less. He tells me that 'with those discounts' there's not a penny he can give me more (but why should he, he's got the sale already?)

Or am I just up the proverbial creek without a paddle being this far down the line?

Effectively yes, you are up the creek without a paddle. I've highlighted the reason why. If you want to save money then you're going to have to be somewhat impolite. The dealer is lying. He has about 9% margin on the deal to play with for a private sale and 15% for a business sale and on top of that they then receive sales bonuses when targets are hit and then further fees when they sell finance. Absolute best case scenario they can hit with a sale is about 22% margin.

Drive the Deal, Carfile etc. really are the best way to buy a car these days. They supply through a Skoda dealer and you get all dealer facilities including finance etc. Depending on how much deposit they have it's probably worth cancelling your order and replacing the order through Drive the Deal or Carfile.

Drive the Deal currently have the vRS at £14630 without the VAT free offer (so roughly £12200 with the VAT free offer applied) which is why the OP has landed a loaded estate for £13875.

Edited by wja96

Effectively yes, you are up the creek without a paddle. I've highlighted the reason why. If you want to save money then you're going to have to be somewhat impolite. The dealer is lying. He has about 9% margin on the deal to play with for a private sale and 15% for a business sale and on top of that they then receive sales bonuses when targets are hit and then further fees when they sell finance. Absolute best case scenario they can hit with a sale is about 22% margin.

Drive the Deal, Carfile etc. really are the best way to buy a car these days. They supply through a Skoda dealer and you get all dealer facilities including finance etc. Depending on how much deposit they have it's probably worth cancelling your order and replacing the order through Drive the Deal or Carfile.

Drive the Deal currently have the vRS at £14630 without the VAT free offer (so roughly £12200 with the VAT free offer applied) which is why the OP has landed a loaded estate for £13875.

The OP got an estate for that money? Wow, that's some saving, that's even less than the standard car without the extras!

You may well be right in your highlight of the word 'politest' although so far I've always tried to be right with the dealer when buying cars, maybe that's my problem.

I could cancel my order and lose £550 deposit at worst although that does mean I'd be in for a long wait if I re-ordered elsewhere. As I say, he's still giving me top whack for my part-ex but basically was he obliged to give me the extra discount with this new offer or could he have stood ground and stuck to our original deal? Is he doing me any favours as things stand?

When it comes to hard negotiation I'm not the best by my own admission and there's nothing I fear more than a 'confrontation' on these matters. As it stands, I last spoke to my dealer yesterday when he told me the car is at the dock and what the new balance of the car is on the new VAT deal. He mentioned that the new interest rate is 2.25% flat rate on finance but told me straight that there's no incentives with this such as free servicing etc. Fortunately I'm in a decent enough position to either pay outright or take the finance option but he seemed to think the finance option was the better way to do it (money in the bank for a rainy day and to make interest on the money I'd save up front) but I'm rather skeptical on this.

For future reference I'll certainly go down the road of using carfile, DTD etc if only as a bargaining tool for future car purchases but at the moment I just want to handle my new car purchase as best I can without greatly inconveniencing myself or landing in hot water with the dealer over a possible cancellation.

As at least one other fellow member on here appears to be in the same position as I am, I wonder how others would go forward. If I cancel, how far could the dealer go in penalising me and what would be his incentive to give me a dealer discount on a sale already agreed?

I know I must be sounding like a stuck record by now and I apologise in advance but I just want some facts about what I can and can't do at this moment in time.

Current carfile price for the hatchback is £12644 which is about £1000 less than Skoda want with no vat.

At that, the car is well-priced. Add on £1500 worth of options and you've got a VERY nice car. Just a shame it still looks like you'd be best mates with Big Ears!

I still have reservations about the fabia vrs - petrol, dsg etc. Whats the best deal on an Ibiza FR 2.0 tdi? (The car the Fabia should have been)

There is supposed to be a manual diesel Fabia coming later in the year. I was quoted £15332 for a loaded Ibiza 5dr FR 2.0TDI (AFS Xenons, leather, bluetooth, heated seats and windscreen, cruise and reversing sensors) which is very attractive. The basic car would have been £14150. On the SEAT the basic car is very expensive but the options are cheap. It's probably also worth noting that they don't do satnav, you have to get the TomTom prep and buy a TomTom. I'm not too sure about that...

I've had 2 Fabia diesel vRS's and currently drive an Octy vRS diesel, but, IMO, after having driven the new Fabia vRS, going back to the 140bhp diesel engine in the Ibiza would take away a massive part of the appeal of the new car.

I could cancel my order and lose £550 deposit at worst although that does mean I'd be in for a long wait if I re-ordered elsewhere. As I say, he's still giving me top whack for my part-ex but basically was he obliged to give me the extra discount with this new offer or could he have stood ground and stuck to our original deal? Is he doing me any favours as things stand?

at the moment I just want to handle my new car purchase as best I can without greatly inconveniencing myself or landing in hot water with the dealer over a possible cancellation.

As at least one other fellow member on here appears to be in the same position as I am, I wonder how others would go forward. If I cancel, how far could the dealer go in penalising me and what would be his incentive to give me a dealer discount on a sale already agreed?

I was in a similar situation -I ordered my vRS a few weeks ago, managed to secure a hefty discount but obviously not as much as the new 'VAT free' deal. Was over the moon to be told by Skoda I could have the new offer applied to my order.

If I was you I'd be well chuffed to have secured the extra discount.....

I can't believe you would really consider cancelling your order at this late stage, with your car already built and at the dock?!

Your dealer would most certainly keep your £550 deposit (and be rightly livid) so to save any real money you would have to persuade another dealer to give you the VAT discount + another £1000 or so off. Unlikely to happen and you'll also be at the back of the que waiting for one to be built again...! Take delivery and enjoy your new motor. :yes:

If I was you I'd be well chuffed to have secured the extra discount.....

I've thought about this a lot and at the end of it all, you're absolutely right. I had the chance to buy several stock cars or even my dealer's ex-demo car back in November when I was ready to buy. Despite the choices though, there wasn't enough incentive to buy the cars on offer. Not only was something wrong with every one of them e.g. they were the wrong colour or didn't have one of my 'must-have' extras, the asking price was too close to list price. Taking this into account I decided to place a factory order with the exact spec and colour scheme that I wanted.

As it turns out, my car with this offer, even with all the extras on board, still comes to a few hundred pounds cheaper than even the ex-demo cars at the time that had between a few hundred and a few thousand miles on them and with fewer extras. When I look at it this way, I consider myself very fortunate to have landed in such a position and I really shouldn't complain!

Had this VAT free offer not come along then I would have been very happy with the deal I struck at the time of ordering, that's what I've had to tell myself. I guess I just got carried away with the whole discount idea from reading this forum too much!

I can't believe you would really consider cancelling your order at this late stage, with your car already built and at the dock?!

Your dealer would most certainly keep your £550 deposit (and be rightly livid) so to save any real money you would have to persuade another dealer to give you the VAT discount + another £1000 or so off. Unlikely to happen and you'll also be at the back of the que waiting for one to be built again...!

Don't worry, I wasn't ever planning to cancel my order, I was just making the point that apart from a long wait for another car (by which time the VAT offer may well have expired anyway) the only thing I'd lose is my £550 deposit. If I did this though then I'd have to negotiate at least £550 discount on top of the VAT free offer just to get the same deal as I'm on now, and that's before I negotiate further discount on top of this!

To be fair, my dealer has been pretty good with me, if a little blunt when it comes to negotiations. Even on my original deal he was a bit stubborn on discount and generally negotiating the deal but again no more so than most dealers I've dealt with in the past. I still managed to get a pretty good discount, despite the hard work, not that it matters now of course.

It goes without saying that I'd be an absolute loony to cancel my order at this stage and considering this will be my third Skoda from my local dealer, I wouldn't want to burn any bridges that I may need to use in the future.

Take delivery and enjoy your new motor. :yes:

I intend to! :thumbup:

Edited by scottpcs

Hi Guys

New to this forum test drove the new Fabia VRS to day was impressed and may well order one price quoted solid colour black roof and black wheels was £14069 on the road I tried that Carfile site and was quoted £1000 more so wont be using then ,Can anyone point me in the direction of a dealer who would deal no PX Was told that the price quoted rock bottom but never believe a salesman

Brian

Hi Guys

New to this forum test drove the new Fabia VRS to day was impressed and may well order one price quoted solid colour black roof and black wheels was £14069 on the road I tried that Carfile site and was quoted £1000 more so wont be using then ,Can anyone point me in the direction of a dealer who would deal no PX Was told that the price quoted rock bottom but never believe a salesman

Brian

I got a price of £13,212.90 on carfile with that spec? Drive the deal is £15071.00 but they have not updated there price to show the 20% discount so this will be cheaper.

Kitchens - could point you in the direction of where i ordered the car but where are you in the country ?

Mine was from West Worthing Motors in Sussex. (i dont live there but had a recommendation)

Paul

I contacted the garage and they gave me a great qt only problem is the drive down to collect .I stay in Glasgow .Have been on to Carfile spoke with Jonathan he got a better deal in mid England so a bit less travel .Both places quoted the same delivery time 10/12 weeks I appreciate the contact details .I can get one up here but the price is list at £14.069 and they will not budge even when i say i have been quoted hundreds less .Both dealers do not want to shout from the roof the deals as other retailers may well complain to Skoda U-K Will keep you posted as to what I do .Now fancy Red /White roof and White wheels with the red stitching interior any pics around as Skoda configuration site is not working .

Brian

Edited by kitchens

Just been into my dealer to get the final figure I owe him but I have a difference of opinion on how the 20% reduction is applied.

The Skoda website says that the reduction is applied to the RRP including factory fitted options, however, my dealer says that it's applied to the OTR price. As I didn't have the small print to hand, I just had to take his word for it but which one of us is correct?

Although the difference is small, it would be £9 and a few pence cheaper doing it my way which, having just double-checked the Skoda website, I believe is correct but which one is right?

In "The Times" today, Skoda have a No Vat offer on page 61 and it says "including factory fitted optional extras".

Yes it does include the factory fitted options but that's not what I'm asking.

My car including the options comes to the following in my calculation:

Car (Hatchback) £13665.00 (OTR price less the VAT on the basic RRP - clarified with Skoda Customer Services UK)

Black Alloys £91.67

Black Roof £312.50

Multi-function steering wheel £137.50

Bluetooth GSM II Phone Prep £195.83

Climatronic Climate Control £229.17

Cruise Control £145.83

Rear Electric Windows £129.17

Centre Armrest £75.00

Rear Parking Sensors £233.33

Full Set of Floormats £41.67

TOTAL £15256.67

My dealer has worked out that I owe him £15265.00 exactly though - how has he worked that out? He says it's because VAT is payable on the delivery charge which is part of the OTR price but having worked it all out again I can't see how this works as the VAT on the delivery charge would be a lot more than £9 and a few pence.

Can someone enlighten me before I hassle my dealer again, possibly making an idiot of myself?