all octy 1 owners please read this !

Guest westallc

Did my pickup pipe yesterday, and I would say it was 40% blocked. That's on a 52 plate with 53k on the clock. Barely run in! It had 2 longlife services at 17k and 38k ( :o) , then it has been every 3-4k since then.

Usually use Fuchs or Quantum oil.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to confirm my shopping list and what's needed.

5W30 Fully Synthetic

Genuine Oil Filter

New Sump Bolt

Oil Pickup Pipe - S06A115251

Sealant - D176404A2 OR http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173106_langId_-1_categoryId_165691

And that's it?

Cheers

Marc

P.S. Would one tube of the Loctite be enough or would I need two tubes?

So to confirm my shopping list and what's needed.

5W30 Fully Synthetic

Genuine Oil Filter

New Sump Bolt

Oil Pickup Pipe - S06A115251

Sealant - D176404A2 OR http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173106_langId_-1_categoryId_165691

And that's it?

Cheers

Marc

P.S. Would one tube of the Loctite be enough or would I need two tubes?

Worth getting a new sump pick up "O" ring. cost pennies from main stealers.

I would think it is unlikely

diesel oils normally are very good at cleaning an engine, infact I'm surprised those that use vw504/507 are having much of an issue, unless the car has been abused on semi synthetic oil in it past history

Everyone here, and in other threads, seem to be running petrol VRS or 1.8 Turbo engines.

Does anyone know if this is also an issue on 1.9 TDI?

Tom

see http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/203683-oil-pickup-on-a-diesel/page__p__2413177__fromsearch__1#entry2413177

It's not a big problem with the 1.8t either. The pickup is designed to work normally at 50% occlusion. I've seen very few of these come in where the oil pressure light has come on because of this. For piece of mind, many 1.8t owners request it be done when they buy a used one - simply because they don't know how the previous owner had treated it (wrong oil, etc). It's not a difficult/expensive job to do, so some owners replace it at regular intervals.

see http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/203683-oil-pickup-on-a-diesel/page__p__2413177__fromsearch__1#entry2413177

It's not a big problem with the 1.8t either. The pickup is designed to work normally at 50% occlusion. I've seen very few of these come in where the oil pressure light has come on because of this. For piece of mind, many 1.8t owners request it be done when they buy a used one - simply because they don't know how the previous owner had treated it (wrong oil, etc). It's not a difficult/expensive job to do, so some owners replace it at regular intervals.

Thanks for that, that thread had moved on since I last read it.

I'll be a bit pushed for time at the next oil change, so I might just wait until the one after that.

Tom

Was looking in the Oil book today. Nowhere does it list 5w30 oil to be used? It states 0w30 longlife oil, or 10w40 semi for warmer climates.

Whats the best oil to use for these engines (to help prevent 'sludge'), for our UK climate?

I wouldn't mind castrol edge but its like £40!

I've just been to the motor factors for bits & pieces

FRAM oil filter £3.12

FRAM air filter £5.50

COMMA 5ltr 5W-50 long life oil £38.04

FRAM fuel filter £11.20

all plus the usual 20% :'(

I get a reasonable discount as my boss owns their unit, the list price for the oil is £50.99 plus vat

Quantum OE oil £15 for 5l from TPS, it's what god intended for these engines, never had any trouble with it :thumbup:

And what rating is that?

I thought TPS was for trade only? Or do I just walk in their with overalls on? ;)

And what rating is that?

I thought TPS was for trade only? Or do I just walk in their with overalls on? ;)

Both good points !!

Thats for 'normal' oil, I think it about £25ish for long life.

And yeah it is trade only, but they don't seem too care in the Cardiff branch :thumbup:

Both good points !!

Thats for 'normal' oil, I think it about £25ish for long life.

And yeah it is trade only, but they don't seem too care in the Cardiff branch :thumbup:

Sorry, I mean what viscosity is Quantum OE oil? I.e. 5w30 etc

you can get vw507 oil on ebay for around £17 for 5 litres

just search for "vw507"

edit here is link, it is now £24 for 5 litres delivered to your door

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Long-Life-5w-30-F-S-Engine-Oil-VW-504-00-507-00-5-ltr-/370485366172?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5642a60d9c#ht_1890wt_905

Edited by STSKODA

Everyone here, and in other threads, seem to be running petrol VRS or 1.8 Turbo engines.

Does anyone know if this is also an issue on 1.9 TDI?

Tom

Nope i was told by a very good reliable mechanic that this is a VAG petrol turbo issue, hes had countless of them come into the shop

I rang him to ask what this oil light could mean ... and he just said........ '1.8 vag petrol turbo?' i said yes.... he said .. oil pick up and gauze and it was :)

while my car was in having a brake fluid change at a Skoda dealer this morning, I mentioned about the oil pick up getting blocked.

The guys said only one had ever come in because of this, & that was a mk2....( the oil light had come on)

I guess it's a peace of mind issue, & for the ease of the job, I may well get mine done next oil change (60k)

I'm gonna do mine tomorrow now that I have the parts.

I'll take some photos of the offending part VS's the new one.

BTW my car is a 49k miler with gaps in the service history (bought the car last week).

Regards

Marc

while my car was in having a brake fluid change at a Skoda dealer this morning, I mentioned about the oil pick up getting blocked.

The guys said only one had ever come in because of this, & that was a mk2....( the oil light had come on)

I guess it's a peace of mind issue, & for the ease of the job, I may well get mine done next oil change (60k)

That's probably because the cars never made it into the dealers :giggle:

It also depends on how well a dealer has recognized the symptoms before changing engines. I also think that MK 1 VRS's owners are more likely not to be using main dealers now for servicing and repairs and finding cheaper garages as cars are all outside of warranties. Therefore the AA man, RAC man DIY mechanic and local garage is more likely to find the issue these days. So don't be fooled that it is only piece of mind as it is a real potential issue. :thumbup: