Who's for a Pay Rise............

The lower limit for 20% tax is going up by about £1K in April but the upper threshold is coming down by £2K and one must add in the 1% increased NI contribution which effectvely makes the lower tax rate 21% as NI is real just a component of the lower tax rate so there is a breakpoint around £22K where people will pay more. £22K is the salary where it appears the Con-Dems want to pay all the Proletariat judging by their Civil service restrain. With the extra VAT clearly the idea is to lower labour costs by 10 or 20% too make Britain a place where massive company profits can be made.

Demand inflation matching pay rises (at least).

You have to be earning more than about £42,600 (assuming your have a standard tax code) in April 2011 before you're worse off than this year (including the rise in NI), not the £22K you suggest.

Calculation for £22K is: take home pay 2010/11 - £17,103.65, 2011/12 - £17,352.00.

So you've £248.35 more take home pay (assuming standard tax code).

The government is freezing pay for public sector workers on or above about £21K, but those above that limit will still have more take home pay because of the tax changes (up to £42,600).

Lower wage costs would certainly benefit industry and could lead to substantial increases in manufacturing and significant reductions in unemployment. It would also lower public sector wage costs, which ran out of control under the previous administration, along with the proliferation on non-jobs, particularly at the local level.

Council tax over doubled during Labours term in office, not because there was any particular improvement in services, but rather to create lots of unnecessary jobs and give inflation busting pay rises, so they'd all keep voting Labour. Thankfully a bit of (but not enough) common sense prevailed last May.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to be earning more than about £42,600 (assuming your have a standard tax code) in April 2011 before you're worse off than this year (including the rise in NI), not the £22K you suggest.

Calculation for £22K is: take home pay 2010/11 - £17,103.65, 2011/12 - £17,352.00.

So you've £248.35 more take home pay (assuming standard tax code).

The government is freezing pay for public sector workers on or above about £21K, but those above that limit will still have more take home pay because of the tax changes (up to £42,600).

Lower wage costs would certainly benefit industry and could lead to substantial increases in manufacturing and significant reductions in unemployment. It would also lower public sector wage costs, which ran out of control under the previous administration, along with the proliferation on non-jobs, particularly at the local level.

Council tax over doubled during Labours term in office, not because there was any particular improvement in services, but rather to create lots of unnecessary jobs and give inflation busting pay rises, so they'd all keep voting Labour. Thankfully a bit of (but not enough) common sense prevailed last May.

===================================================================================================================

I hope you are right as that sounds much better than I feared it might be. I thought someone on say £37K would pay about £300 extra on NI but if I understand you then they would be £200 better off because of the rise in the starting point 20% rate so about £100 worse off, hope you are right. They still need a pay rise of about £2k to stand still though.

I also thought that I would be paying about £350 more NI from April as "only" the amount in the 20% tax band is subject to the new NI but also, if I did not divert around £15K of what wolud be taxed at 40% in to pension as I plan to do, then instead of £14K being taxed at 40% then ot would be £16K could be hence potentially about £1K pa worse off. But also obviously require about a £3K pay rise to stand still economically.

Barclays, Shell and others are thriving. A windfall tax would be appropriate to get more in to the coffers but we have the wrong Government to do that as they would rather tax the people rather than businesses raking it in with cheap Government loans with our money and extortionate lending rates back to us.

Useful thread comments, must ensure to get 5-6% pay rise to even stand still economically.

• 2 weeks later...

March is like getting a Pay Rise as you only have to wait 28 days between pay days rather than 30 or 31 days.

Thanks Juluis and Augustus Ceaser for messing about with the length of months so Feb was left short since both of you wanted 31 days is your months.

Does not look that I will find out what the pay rise is until we are paid on the 26th of April when we open the payslip and by then might have worked nearly a month on a pay rate I have not agreed to.

Better be at least 5.2% ie the RPI, or whatever it has gone up to on the March 15th or April 15th figures or there will be trouble ahead!

• 4 weeks later...

Still do not know if I am getting one, outraged!

Pushed for joining pension scheme which they did let me and they put 5% in and I decided to put 20% in so I avoid as much higher rate rate as possible to stop to ConDems getting their hands on it.

This new company apparently does not tell employees until sometime in April, I feel and email going off in the morning!

With inflation running at 5.5% plus the NI rise, plus interest rates going up they say further pushing inflation they can play ball or a will be looking to take my effort elsewhere, even 2% would be something.

I can see inflation hitting 8 or even 10% in the next year or 2, the Tories have history for this ie 1990s, EMU etc.

Get one tomorrow :) 10 years in the police, top rate PC wages :D

1.2%. But salaries are tied to a mean of whatever pay rises teachers, university staff, Local Government staff and HMRC staff are awarded. Only been here 3 months, but time to move on methinks. With inflation at 5% for the next 2-3 years I won't have a pot to p*ss in at those rates.

1.2%. But salaries are tied to a mean of whatever pay rises teachers, university staff, Local Government staff and HMRC staff are awarded. Only been here 3 months, but time to move on methinks. With inflation at 5% for the next 2-3 years I won't have a pot to p*ss in at those rates.

Exactly. Inflation as a policy only works if wage inflation is allowed to follow but its has already been stated that this will not be allowed to happen. In the meantime, the globalists win and we get poorer.

When I say works, I mean "works" or appears to work in the eyes of the proles...

Edited by 'daiking'

eg £30,000 salary in 2011, with 1.2% wage increases for 5 years, gives £32,400 in 2015.

But with inflation at 5% you'd need a salary of £36,400 in 2015 to have the same purchasing power as £30,000 now. So in this scenario, inflation makes you about 14% poorer in 5 years.

Turns out our payrise this year is funded by strip-mining personal bonuses. So those technical staff like me that are considered capable of making a measurable individual impact on company performance are paying so that those that technical staff who don't don't quit.

As a result, my payrise will come from whichever of the three companies that have offered me a job make me the best offer. Changing employer is the only way I've ever achieved a meaningful payrise these last dozen years...

Maybe that's including overtime, as I've see GBP44k quoted. That's the most you'll ever earn, though - and with little by way of transferable skills learnt on the job, prospects once fully qualified can't be brilliant...

We got 2% this year. Obviously perhaps keeps us "below par" in general, but better than a kick in the teeth, or having no job at all.

The 2011/12 tax coding changes will soften the blow a little bit.

The 2011/12 tax coding changes will soften the blow a little bit.

Well that's what your meant to think. But if you factor in the 1% NI increase announced last year, you'll be about the same. And then of course with the extra 2.5% on everything you buy, you will in fact be worse off. And don't forget every litre of fuel includes 90p tax built into the price.

Maybe that's including overtime, as I've see GBP44k quoted. That's the most you'll ever earn, though - and with little by way of transferable skills learnt on the job, prospects once fully qualified can't be brilliant...

Are you in the Railway trade ap0gee??

Me? No. Why have missed something, or have I misunderstood the stuff sent out by the unions? It's good money, even for shift work, don't get me wrong! But it's not like you could set yourself up as owner-operator like someone with an LGV or PCV licence could if they wanted to. Perhaps that's why: golden handcuffs?

Having said this, an old acquaintance of mine was left in a right state mentally after a suicide jumped out in front of the train he was driving - perhaps there's an element of danger money involved...