Advanced Motorist (Driver) & Insurance

Rich_N

Question - do you know what their approach/attitude to car modifcation is?

I assumed it would be an issue and didn't contact them at my last renewal point.

Not sure TBH - i just know it states somewhere (can't remember where) they don't cover remaps :(

Not sure TBH - i just know it states somewhere (can't remember where) they don't cover remaps :(

Shame, as I'm now a first member and have a remapped snow monster, with a flappy paddle MFSW. Lets see in december what Skoda comes up with, as they were (eventually) happy with my modifications. Oh yes and I have video drive recorders fitted front and rear as well.

• 1 year later...

Adelaide Insurance in Belfast run IAM Surety, they have given me great service and fantastic quotes due to their hard work for the last two years.Saved me a lot of money, costing me approx. £50 more to insure Vrs CR than Punto 1.9 Mjet.

Skoda Insurance wanted over five hundred ! Will pay approx.£340 for Octavia through Adelaide.

I have found IAM Surety rather lazy when it comes to car quotes. I have to do all the leg work (quotes from other companies), and they log into my online account with which ever I can find is the cheapest (once I have changed my password) and confirm the quote is like for like and then then knock off a few quid.

Maybe this is because their systems think I am a high risk or something. male, 36 years old, 110 TDI Octavia 2001, doing about 30k/year [or 15k when car sharing], no accidents, no claims, and a full 15 years ncb, car secured in garage overnight.

Maybe this is because their systems think I am a high risk or something. male, 36 years old, 110 TDI Octavia 2001, doing about 30k/year [or 15k when car sharing], no accidents, no claims, and a full 15 years ncb, car secured in garage overnight.

15 years NCB - you're probably due a claim, or some such statistical rubbish ;) ;)

• Like 1

I think that the OP means that he has passed an advanced driving test through his work.

I passed my Police advanced driving , class 1 back in 1990, and that was my qualification to become an IAM member.

Dave

Correct but any police, ambulance or fire service standard driver qualifies. you don't have to be advanced because the 'standard' emergency driver is already trained beyond IAM standards. That said, some fall well below the standards expected.

Correct but any police, ambulance or fire service standard driver qualifies. you don't have to be advanced because the 'standard' emergency driver is already trained beyond IAM standards. That said, some fall well below the standards expected.

Indeed :( But happily it is not the majority whom let the rest down, but the minority. In the 5+ years I have been running cameras in all my vehicles, some of the most crazy things I have seen have been marked and unmarked Police vehicles inc driver at fault collisions (only 2 of those). :giggle:

While I approve of any form of further driver training beyond the Kellogg's/DSA standard required to be let loose on the road networks. I would like to see IAM follow suit with the likes of ROSPA and put an expiry date on their test passes. Anyone can pass the test on the day (we all had to pass the initial one), we are all human and few fully maintain lasting high standards with no further assessment or instruction a few years down the line, other than a mighty halo above their heads. I hold a few current exemptions to become and IAM member, but for previous chequered history with the institute I doubt I would ever bother. A straight pass/fail test is IMO not good enough, some may excel and be superb drivers of the highest standard, while other just make the grade and yet both hold the same 'qualification' after. ROSPA has 4 levels Bronze, Silver, Gold and FAIL! It expires after 3 years and as a member paying your £20 odd a year, your retest is free. The highest tier of pass recognises a higher level than is required to pass IAM's advanced assessment. Aside from ROAPA I have non expiring advanced bits of paper and they are just that, without reassessing worthless, IMO again.

But as I said I would still implore anyone to embark on any form of advanced driver training, although I would point them more towards ROSPA. For some reason a lot of IAM drivers who have got to that stage look to ROSPA as the next step, so I suggest people don't waste time or money if they are looking to be recognised more accurately for their level of proficiency.

More on topic again, Adrian Flux used to give me a genuine 15% on ROSPA Gold, I would always go through quote then ask it to be added at end to assure there was some reduction.