timewasters

wmscud

Trying to sell my car before my Skoda gets delivered, never had so much hassle get emails most days about it asking various questions.I have never believed in people putting on their ads no timewasters ,but I do now.I reply to all emails with answers to questions but get no reply back.

last Saturday I waited in all day for potential buyer to come,they did not so I tried to ring them and left a message,still did'nt bother to get back.Whilst appreciating people might not like the answers I gave,what about a bit of common courteousy.

E.g car was up for sale at £7000 offer of £5500 why look at a car of £7000 if you have not got the money.

Maybe I should've took the good offer my Skoda dealer offered me in December but I was just trying to squeeze a little bit extra out of it.

Sorry about rant but I am well and truly brassed off :'(

There's no excuse for not turning up or not contacting the seller if you are not coming. As you said it is common courtesy.

Offers of a lower price are a different matter and are all part of selling a car. What a car is worth is what someone is willing to pay. I once bought a car listed at £9999 for £6999. Was it worth £9999? No.

You can only say your car is worth more than £5500 when someone is willing to pay more.

because we all want it get something for nothing (or alot less), which I'm sorry to say.

As for not turning up I've had that a few times its just one of the joys of selling privately :thumbdown:

Though I once had someone that said they would come to buy the car and would be there at 12, never turned up and I had someone else coming at 3. They turned up and bought the car and took it way. The first person then turned up at 4 rather mad and angry at me that I had sold the car. To which I pointed out he should have called and told me he was running late and also pointed out I told him I had others coming to view and it would be first person to offer would buy it.

Think most of have been there bud so we know how you feel.

In some ways, you can see why people take the financial hit and trade in at a dealership. I've sold many cars privately over the years, but they've all been cars that have a following i.e. Capris, Mk1 GTi, 200sx, Panda (yes they do have an elite group of followers!) and I've found that there are few timewasters with these. The only time I've been messed about is when I've tried to shift something more mundane.

The worst was when I was getting rid of a Citroen C2 GT to get the vRS. The people who were after that car needed to learn how to spell, punctuate and use words of more than one syllable. I'm not prone to stereotyping - although SWMBO would disagree - but the C2 owners forum was not a place for those who appreciate and cling to the basics of the English language. Nice car though.

I appreciate the hanging around for someone to turn up. It's a pain in the rear and a quick call to say you're running late or not coming isn't too much to ask.

I kind of pride myself on being able to sense a desperate seller and really hamering him down on the price,luke off here took me with him to buy a car and was so embarrased at my antics he walked away, he wasn't complaining when i got him the car for under 1/2 the advertised price, some say i'm a bit of a charlaten, i just think i'm pretty good at reading people and am certainly not scared of putting a very insulting offer in, i do seem to succeed more often than not too. I do allways turn up when i say i will tho, i do get the feeling sometimes the seller wishes i hadn't!!!!!

Edited by oilburninnut

Would'nt say I was desperate though, but still dont want messing about.Met people like you and just humour them.Hey bet you dont do it in Tesco's.In fact had one round yesterday afternoon could'nt wait to get rid of him and his so called expert mates.Stood there kicking the tyres, just p**s takers.

I have taken a private plate off car as the potential purchaser did not want it on at a cost of £105 and taxed it for 6 months £135 only to be let down when money was to be handed over.

See why I am brassed off.

Would'nt say I was desperate though, but still dont want messing about.Met people like you and just humour them.Hey bet you dont do it in Tesco's.In fact had one round yesterday afternoon could'nt wait to get rid of him and his so called expert mates.Stood there kicking the tyres, just p**s takers.

I have taken a private plate off car as the potential purchaser did not want it on at a cost of £105 and taxed it for 6 months £135 only to be let down when money was to be handed over.

See why I am brassed off.

I'm no **** taker, people value cars high, truth is they simply are not worth as much as most sellers think,i understand your frustrations completly, people not turning up hacks me off too when i am selling, i allways turn up with the intention of driving away in the car, i have cash in my pocket, your tescos comparison is just daft of course i don't do it with grocerys, but i do do it with pretty much everything else like electricals, lawnmowers you name it, anything that costs over a couple of hundred quid, so climb down off your high horse for a moment and admit like 99% of folk trying to sell thier pride and joy that you might just be in dreamland with the asking price

Yes, but I am not wasting their time am I.Dont think you see the point I am making.

When I contact the insurance companies they are at work ,and not sat there wasting their time waiting for someone to turn up.

Hey you know the insurance companies try it on anyhow.

I agree with you completly in a way, its a complete pain in the rear selling a car, i hate doing it because of most of the things you have allready mentioned especially waiting round for folk not to turn up!!!! But on the subject of offers you have to expect folk to try it on, if you are not desparate for a sale or just wanting rid then you can quite often go through weeks of messing about, what i tend to do is get a trade in price then take the first offer over that

Yes suppose you are right oilburninnut,but I am glad that you do appreciate where I am comming from.Also the purchaser who wanted the plate off had been told that I could' ve traded car in before the 31st dec,but he said don't worry I will have it.Now dealer is offering less ,so like I said earlier its my fault for being so trusting.

Never trust anyone unless you have the cash in your hand, when someone says they will take it and asks for certain things to happen like the plate removing allways take a non refundable deposit, give them a recipt signed by you and the buyer stating all the details of the deal and that the deposit is non refundable, that tends to sort the real buyers from the dreamers

Also had the offshore scam tried on me as well.Posted that at the beginning of the year.

The car I am selling is priced correctly did alot of research like I did before I ordered my new Octavia. :thumbup:

When I was selling my paxo vts many years ago I had it for a very well priced to sell £7800 (only a year old). I had a chap offer me £800 for it cash......................needless I told him to go visit his mother and try and make a baby with her.

People are cheeky, I've done it, we all do it, though some are more cheeky than others.

I kind of pride myself on being able to sense a desperate seller and really hamering him down on the price,luke off here took me with him to buy a car and was so embarrased at my antics he walked away, he wasn't complaining when i got him the car for under 1/2 the advertised price, some say i'm a bit of a charlaten, i just think i'm pretty good at reading people and am certainly not scared of putting a very insulting offer in, i do seem to succeed more often than not too. I do allways turn up when i say i will tho, i do get the feeling sometimes the seller wishes i hadn't!!!!!

How knowledgable are you about the Fabia VRS (Mk I)? PM me please :).

When I was selling my paxo vts many years ago I had it for a very well priced to sell £7800 (only a year old). I had a chap offer me £800 for it cash......................needless I told him to go visit his mother and try and make a baby with her.

People are cheeky, I've done it, we all do it, though some are more cheeky than others.

I'd of just started laughing and told them to leave.

Update after all the timewasters I have sold my car last night for the price advertised.Unfortunately have to wait until March or April for my new Vrs,unless the build date changes.

:thumbup:

Has anyone tried the website that says "they will buy any car".com (trying not to name names!)?

I got a quote for my trade in when I was buying the VRS. The offer was about £500 less than I would have expected from valuations and that was before they'd seen it. I fully expect that would have been adjusted down £100s.

For a laugh (since they say "any" car) I also got a price for an old 1999 Polo we really wan't to get shot off quickly. They only offered £500 before seeing it. We sold it easily for a £1100 through Auto Trader to the second person to view it.

They also bombard you with emails for ages if you don't take it any further.

My view is you'd have to be really desperate to deal with them, but for those people I guess they do provide a service.