New Tyres Dilemma

dekevrs

Drove over a pothole and pinched the front offside tyre causing a bulge. Claim being pursued. Meanwhile the two back tyres have degraded with still 4mm left. I hate those standard Pirelli P6000. I think they handle rubbish and don't last. The car has 15,000 miles on the clock!!!

Anyway, time to replace all four. I have ordered Toyo TR1 225/45 17, each costing £107 fitted.

I will let you know how it goes, but paying £440 hurts big style.

Looking forward to improved handling though (avoiding potholes - my God the roads are crap. To think I used to be a biker!!!)

Edited by dekevrs

I have ordered Toyo TR1 225/45 17, each costing £107 fitted.

If you want to save money next time, you might consider buying tyres mail order from, for example, Camskill then getting them fitted locally. Camskill's current price for those tyres is a lot less, and even after spending £50-£60 for local fitting you'd still have saved some money.

Good luck with the claim, they always try to repudiate claims for pothole damage. I claimed for a new tyre, wheel and tracking and at first they said it wasn't their fault as no pothole had been reported. but I persisted and in the end they had to admit that the pothole had been reported and had been inspected the previous day, what they "neglected" to do was mark the pothole with a cone or something. I was only 1 of about 6 people to my knowledge that hit it that night.

I always try to report potholes when I see them now so they have no excuse. they seem to get repaired in a couple of days as well.

cheers

tugman

Drove over a pothole and pinched the front offside tyre causing a bulge. Claim being pursued. Meanwhile the two back tyres have degraded with still 4mm left. I hate those standard Pirelli P6000. I think they handle rubbish and don't last. The car has 15,000 miles on the clock!!!

Anyway, time to replace all four. I have ordered Toyo TR1 225/45 17, each costing £107 fitted.

I will let you know how it goes, but paying £440 hurts big style.

Looking forward to improved handling though (avoiding potholes - my God the roads are crap. To think I used to be a biker!!!)

I would like to know how you like the Toyo tyres when you have them fitted. I have Dunlop 225/45ZR 17 94W on my Superb and they are extremely noisy on all but the smoothest road and more importantly, develop flat spots overnight which take a 200+ metres to disappear. Many Skodas appear on these shores fitted with Michellins but mine must have drawn the short straw.

I would like to know how you like the Toyo tyres when you have them fitted. I have Dunlop 225/45ZR 17 94W on my Superb and they are extremely noisy on all but the smoothest road and more importantly, develop flat spots overnight which take a 200+ metres to disappear. Many Skodas appear on these shores fitted with Michellins but mine must have drawn the short straw.

200 miles under my belt. Tyres are brilliant. Unbelievable difference. Driven now in dry and wet. Lots of feel and grip.

I tried a pair of Neuton mail order tyres on the front of my V6 and after a year and 12,000 miles, I am chuffed to bits with them as they hardly look worn at all. Having tried them in all conditions, have never aquaplaned, have never spun them up,ESP has never come on, ABS has only come on when really provoked on sheet ice. Good in the snow, quiet, "feel right" and have noticed no loss of mpg after changing two Michelins for them.

For tyres that cost £40 + £3.50 delivery + VAT, I really can't fault them...... only thing that hurts is the £15 a time to have them fitted and the disparaging remarks that you tend to get when ask a tyre company to fit someone else's tyres .....

They really do seem good, but I suppose the only negative point is that they're rotation sensitive, which means that if your tracking is slightly out, then you can't easily swap from one side to the other to even up the wear. Luckily I don't have that problem.

Will definitely be buying two more to replace the rear Michelins when they eventually let go.

200 miles under my belt. Tyres are brilliant. Unbelievable difference. Driven now in dry and wet. Lots of feel and grip.

Visited my local Toyo dealer and he tried to talk me OUT of Toyo and INTO GT Radials. Said the GTs were quieter and showed me they were fitted to his own (Ford Utility). Also quoted a high price for the Toyos (around 170 UK pounds each) Also said they were particular good on a wet road. Too many tyres to choose from....emoticon-0106-crying.gif

I use Pirelli 6000 and reckon to get 25,000 on the front - down to 3mm tread and 50,000 on the back - down to 1.6mm. Although I think my latest set of perhaps six sets of P6000s I have run through arnt quite as hard wearing as previous sets.

Trouble is you have to shell out £400 on a new brand of tyres and then run them for a year just to see if they are any better. I probably will have to give up on "premium" tyres and look for good mid-range tyres, so this thread is usefull.

just had matador tyres fitted on front of car 225/45/17 replacing firestones. quite impressed with them so far. low noise, good wet weather grip and comfort over uneven surfaces. noticably better than the firestone tyres. not a bad price at £98 each

Edited by barrabbas

I've just replaced all mine with Uniroyal Rainsport 2 (225/45/17). Much quiter than my previous tyre and very good wet grip. Cost me £379 fully fitted at a local independent. Camskill were quoting £111.70 and then you need to get somebody to fit them.

Edited by mp7125

hi-q local garage got 4 hankook ventus v12 225/45/17 for £82.50 each think i got a good deal, they seem ok in the dry and quite good in the wet, heres hoping i get more mileage outta them than my last set of bridgestone potenzas, only got 9k miles outta the fronts!!