Headlight Removal Difficult for FL

I'd to replace a blown dipped beam headlight bulb yesterday. It took all my strength pulling on a length of plastic piping wrapped around the hook thingy to release the headlight.

With the headlight removed, the release mechanism seems to have a rather short travel. I've sprayed it with WD 40 but am not convinced it will help. Worried I will damage something I next change bulbs.

Any tips?

Hi All

The release lever was difficult to move on mine but I managed by putting a rag round it so it didn't cut into my fingers.

When the light housing was off, I sprayed the mounting slides and the release lever with silicon spray - it is ok now.

It will probably be ok now you have lubricated it.

Cheers

Dave

Hi All

The release lever was difficult to move on mine but I managed by putting a rag round it so it didn't cut into my fingers.

When the light housing was off, I sprayed the mounting slides and the release lever with silicon spray - it is ok now.

It will probably be ok now you have lubricated it.

Cheers

Dave

Out of interest, what silicone spray did you use. Thanks.

Which direction should I be pulling the hook guys? Removed the large white nut but didn't want to put too much force on the hook in any one direction incase I was pushing/pulling it the wrong way!

I done mine today to fit LED bulbs it was a little stiff and sprayed it over with 1z spray lube.

The hook should pull out from the unit, finger round the hook and pull its simple.

Which direction should I be pulling the hook guys? Removed the large white nut but didn't want to put too much force on the hook in any one direction incase I was pushing/pulling it the wrong way!

Just give it a quick tug towards the centre of the car. It should move about an inch or so. Put your hand on the black plastic housing at the rear of the Headlamp assembly and give it a bit of a push to get it going.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Failing that eat more porridge and try again in a few days emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Edited by vectra1

So it's just 1 white plastic nut & 1 lever to pull to remove the complete front lamp housing, nothing else ?

Can't see the lever and mine looks nothing like the pics in the thread :'(

I've had these fancy H7 bulbs for months and should really change them before the clocks go forward.

Edited by Spudhoolio

Just give it a quick tug towards the centre of the car. It should move about an inch or so. Put your hand on the black plastic housing at the rear of the Headlamp assembly and give it a bit of a push to get it going.

Thanks for that, fitted some silvertech indicator bulbs @ the weekend and took me 5 minutes to do the whole job!

Hard the first time but WD40 on the pull thingy and its fine.

Upgrading the lamps with philips x-treme made a massive difference on unlit roads.

Got my Osram ‘90% brighter’ H7 to replace my dip beams.

Still struggled to release the headlights even after putting in a temporary bulb last week. Imagine my deep joy when the sliding release thingy pulled right out of the headlight. I thought I’ll get the other headlight released to see how it all goes together.

Even deeper joy, that yanked right out as well. Was able to reinsert them, with only minor damage to the lift up ‘fuse B’ catch. Lubricated again with WD40 as the mechanism was still stiff. Seems to be OK and well retained on reassembly.

Must cut down the size of my plateful.:rofl:

I now conclude that the catches were actually pulled out already before I started. They are now slid further under the headlight units under the influence of WD40.

Well at least we know how to do it now, no need to call the AA or go to the dealer.

On some cars you have to remove wheels, arch liners and bumpers to get at the bulbs !

All that to improve the NCAP rating by 0.0000000000000000000000000001.