Windscreen replacement

RallySimon

Whilst taking part in the wacky races on the M42 round Birmingham last Friday afternoon, the van in the outside lane pulled off a sneaky trick of firing a large stone straight at my windscreen. :'(

It hit with such a loud crack that I actually ducked! The impact was just above the wiper, not quite in the middle, slightly over to the passenger side. Within a couple of miles a crack had spread upwards all the way to the top, so I now have a 'split screen' Yeti.

Whilst its not particularly distracting, being over on the passenger side of the screen, I will obviously need to get it replaced.

Taking a quick look, the edges of the windscreen disappear under the black plastic trims on the A-pillars, so I presume they will need removing as well as the plastic scuttle at the bottom.

Does anyone know how these trims remove - with there not being that may Yetis about yet, theres a reasonable chance whoever turns up to replace it, that they may not know how they are attached and I don't want them breaking anything else.

Also mine has the sensors for the wipers and headlights up the top of the windscreen. Is this attached to the interior mirror and just pressed to the glass or is that another load of fun and games?

Edited by RallySimon

Lots of useful pics and info there thanks :thumbup:

So the trims on the A-pillars, are they just pushed onto those clips or are there any other fastenings? Just wondered how they come off without breaking anything.

Cheers,

Hi Simon,

there are three? screws on the underside of the trim panel in the door frame aperture, covered over by small clip on panels. Remove these and the panel should then unclip. When refitting there is movement for ajustment so have the trim lined up in the required position before re-tightening the screws.

Regards,

TP

Whoever you choose to replace the screen will know what they are doing, and should know how to remove the trims. The Octavia and Superb have the same trims on the screen so it should be no problem for them.

Thank you all for the replies - most helpful. :thumbup:

I have to use whoever my insurance company sends out if I want them to pay for it. They will also only pay for one windscreen claim every 12 months, and as I had one replaced in my Fabia for its first MOT last April, this is going to have to wait another 2 months before I can get it changed :thumbdown:

Most insurers use Autoglass, don't they? I use the NFU for insurance, and if you select - 'I want to talk about windscreen replacement' when you call 'em, lo, you are talking to Autoglass, who do all the insurance checking re any excess etc automatically. I had to have mine replaced a month ago. Autoglass did it with absolutely no fuss - I honestly cannot tell the difference. Mine also has the sensor etc - they do these things all the time. I hope yours works out as easy.

Autoglass came out to repair a chip in mine,which wasn't succesful so replacement was offered.

I wanted a genuine skoda screen, Autoglass didn't seem keen on checking with my insurance company so off they went.

Rang insurance co and they told me Auto windscreens will fit a genuine one and there coming out on thursday to fit or so I thought until i saw the news.

back to the insurance co to see if they will let AG fit a genuine one.

P.s rang dealers for a price for a screen only £176 inc VAT, impressed with that would of thought much higher

Edited by carisbrook

Autoglass came out to repair a chip in mine,which wasn't succesful so replacement was offered.

I wanted a genuine skoda screen, Autoglass didn't seem keen on checking with my insurance company so off they went.

Rang insurance co and they told me Auto windscreens will fit a genuine one and there coming out on thursday to fit or so I thought until i saw the news.

P.s rang dealers for a price for a screen only £176 inc VAT, impressed with that would of thought much higher

The windscreen fitted to Pat by Autoglass had started life as a genuine Skoda part; noticed the Skoda Logo had been etched off the corner of the screen and the remains of a Skoda delivery label was just visible under the Autoglass version.

TP

There is a thread on one of the other forums (I think it was the insurance one) that Auto windscreens have stopped trading.

There is a thread on one of the other forums (I think it was the insurance one) that Auto windscreens have stopped trading.

From their website: Regrettably due to the Administration of the Company all operations have been temporarily suspended. We hope to resume shortly.

In the interim, if your query is in relation to either a previously scheduled appointment, rectification work or a new booking and is of an urgent nature we would advise you to contact your insurance company or fleet provider to arrange alternative options.

I have found a crack in my windscreen today and it is not repairable. It is covered by my insurance but one of the questions they asked was if the glass had a green tint. I am not aware that it is does but it got me thinking, a mild tint can often not be seen. Does anyone know if the windscreen has a mild tint or is it clear. I have a standard SE, it is not heated.

Sorry for the high jack, Can you retro fit the heated screen..? It's just something I was wondering and I have never seen where the switch is located. Not sure if the wiring from the screen is there on a non heated screen and in some cases, it's part of the standard loom?

Cheers

Sorry for the high jack, Can you retro fit the heated screen..? It's just something I was wondering and I have never seen where the switch is located. Not sure if the wiring from the screen is there on a non heated screen and in some cases, it's part of the standard loom?

Cheers

Switch for the heated windscreen is shown on page 103 i the users manual

http://new.skoda-auto.com/com/service/documentation/yeti/pages/11-2010.aspx

Autoglass do not have any stock, so they are having to order from Skoda.

When mine was done, I had 'booked' it nearly a week earlier - it happened on hol, and the new on was fitted when I got back. When they came to fit it - I took it to their local centre - it had a chip on it and there was a bit of panic to find another. In the event they found one in Peterborough and got a driver to drive it down to Bedford - delayed things perhaps 45 minutes. The guy commented - 'we haven't got to do many of these...so stocks are few and far apart. It's not surprising, I suppose, and is a price we pay, temporarily I think, for current exclusivity. Hope its not too long and they do as good a job as they did for me - none could know it had been done, in fact.

When mine was done, I had 'booked' it nearly a week earlier - it happened on hol, and the new on was fitted when I got back. When they came to fit it - I took it to their local centre - it had a chip on it and there was a bit of panic to find another. In the event they found one in Peterborough and got a driver to drive it down to Bedford - delayed things perhaps 45 minutes. The guy commented - 'we haven't got to do many of these...so stocks are few and far apart. It's not surprising, I suppose, and is a price we pay, temporarily I think, for current exclusivity. Hope its not too long and they do as good a job as they did for me - none could know it had been done, in fact.

Not just Yetis where there is a scarcity of windscreens: my daughter has a Citroen DS3 (another of Clarkson's favourite cars, incidentally) and she recently had to wait nearly three weeks to get a windscreen replaced on that.

I am a little afraid that the windscreen on the Yeti is more sensitive and cracks more easily than on most other cars. Before I ordered my Yeti I test drove thirteen different Yetis and four of them had cracked windscreens. On top of that I have watched at least two more demo Yetis with cracked windscreens. It will be interesting to see if the windscreen on my Yeti will stay intact since I usually have the misfortune of getting chips...

(My blog about my Snowman)