Fuel Filler Cap - Problem Removing ?/

jcm

Jesus, seriously guys if you cant unlock a simple filler cap should you be allowed to drive?! I mean its so easy, you put a key in and turn it, you then remove the keys so they dont scratch your paint, remove cap and place filler cap on the flap... fill up, replace cap and put the key back in the hole and lock it.... now thats pretty easy eh?

Aye, easy if you know how. You clearly haven't had to fight the stiffness that others have had. Personally when I turned the key and it didn't spin, I thought that must be locked, it wasn't till I googled the thing on my phone that I realised it was actually the unlocked position and it was just ridiculously stiff (dealer or something at factory must have had the fecking hulk tighten the thing). No need to be telling people they can't drive because they're petrol caps are a stupid design! :rofl:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Really glad you posted these issues, as I was struggling to work it out too and this is the third Skoda I've owned. I turned straight to Briskoda for the answer, rather than reading the manual, as I always know I can find the correct answer more easily. I've just downsized from an Octavia VRS with very sensible fuel cap, to the Roomster of which the design is to be queried.

The MK1 vRS had a sensible cap - unlocked with a lever in the car which popped the cap, unscrew and ta da!

I must admit I was puzzled by this first time I filled up but got the hang of it after 10 secs :D

• 1 year later...

Just had to check the forum for my missus who was shouting at me over the phone in a petrol station being unable to get the cap off :rofl:

Ive done it fine on every occasion but it seems its beyond her capabilities. Couldnt even tell her how to do it over the phone. Ended up asking the owner of a 13 plate Mini to help who was shocked at the Fabia system. :wall:  Still, better a Fabia than one of them.

Thought there was noting wrong with the systems on the old VAG cars. Central locking + lock free cap. Is this the same on all new ones? Skoda, VW, etc?

Now, where was I...

• Like 1

The other 2 times it was used Ive locked it. I belive the door doesnt lock with the central locking and Im not keen on someone getting access to the tank. I imagine the local kids will eventually realise and fill it with stones or soil or some detritus.

Easy to syphon a Fabia though, as it is with most vehicles with anti-syphon.

And as said in post #34, people do tamper with cars.

Potato up the exhaust (for cars not already chipped)

or a balloon on is less horrible than something in the tank.

george

Well if you mean the Locking Petrol cap being used,

that might be because of how many Filler Flaps went faulty on past Skodas.  (& in the race for Cheap & Easy to build.)

Advice on how to get them open & repair in the Technical Sections.

george

• Like 1

I prefer the Fabia (vag) system, Just hold the cap, turn the key anti clockwise and screw the cap off, After fill turn cap until it starts to click, turn key clockwise and it's locked. It really is so simple. 

The main advantage of this system is that people do not leave their keys in the car while filling up, much safer as the woman whose car was stolen from the forecourt, with the baby in the rear car seat discovered. Should have driven a Fabia :'(

Removing the Filler cap was a bit of a 'Krypton Factor Challenge' the first time I did it!...

But it wasn't really that hard to figure out!, only took me about a minute!! :D

On the 'Key bundle hitting the paintwork' problem, simple solution... don't have a mahoosive bundle of keys with your car key on them!! Have two separate key bundles, one for the House keys, and one for the Car with as little as possible/just the essentials on it!!

rpV513E.png

Plus you then don't subject the Ignition Barrel to a load of strain with umpteen keys dangling from it!! :p

• Like 2

ebay for "Skoda Key Cover"

Filter through all the Silicon and Leather ones and you'll find the 2 part hard shell ones in various colours!, they come in two flavors upto 2009 and 2009 to 2013 (the Logo hole on the back is smaller!!)

Here's a link to the 'ebay seller'  :happy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_nkw=vw&_sacat=0&_odkw=&item=170907768883&var=470198937271&_osacat=0&sspagename=STRK%3AMESOX%3AIT&_ssn=jewells_direct

I've got a Red one on my Spare Key!!

Edited by Simoneale1973
  • Like 2

I personally prefer the mk2 locking filler cap to the mk1 lever near drivers seat.

I remember mine failing and drove round with flap hanging out until I part ex-ed it (blu-tacked shut for salesman)

Oh,and love the coloured key fobs btw!

• 9 months later...

My wife has arthritic hands and struggles every time now with this filler cap.  Whilst I can get it every time, ladies seem to have an issue with it.  I am dropping down to skoda today to see if I can simply get a non-locking cap for this.

I recently got a new Octavia vRS and it has a locking flap connected to the central locking.  

Can the cap fitted on your wives car not be used & just not lock it.?

To remove the cap, just push in and turn anti clockwise.

A replacement cap still needs to suit the pressurised anti leak system,

even if not a locking cap.