Paint seems to scratch easily

I love my red 2010 Octavia hatchback 1.8turbo (petrol).

It's a great, (perfect for us) mix of performance, safety, convenience and carrying capacity.

However the paint seems to scratch really easily - driving along brambles, laying a bike against it, leaves scratches.

Any recommendations? Is it possible to put on a clear coat or something to help with this?

We are in New Zealand. We had a 2007 Yellow VW Beetle, a 2006 Acura and multiple previous cars in the USA that were not anything like this in terms of scratching.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Laying a bike against it!!!! No paint is scratch proof, in fact VAG has one of the "hardest" paints. All I can suggest is to take more care of the paint such as avoiding contact with it, if you must drive down narrow tracks consider VentureShield. Its a clear plastic wrap and can be applied anywhere on the care.

I would agree that the red paint is crap on these....thats why i now have a Machine Polisher ;)

The paint on mine (anthracite) seems very very hard. It has almost no signs of scratching, whorls or any of those annoyances but it does chip very easily. There is a balance struck between hardness and resilience, a softer paint would resist chips better but wouldn't keep its looks so well.

I have a late 2008 vRS in silver. I find the paint astonishingly tough. After two years there are maybe three very small chips and one or two tiny scratches. Probably the toughest paint I've had on any car, including Mercedes and BMW.

I have a late 2008 vRS in silver. I find the paint astonishingly tough. After two years there are maybe three very small chips and one or two tiny scratches. Probably the toughest paint I've had on any car, including Mercedes and BMW.

Wow! our 55 plate in blue is the worse car paint I ever had, within few weeks the bonnet had few chips and scratches and now 40k more miles its one mass of marks of all sorts.

• 4 months later...

I've had my octavia since may and can't believe how the paint scratches. The slightest rub by anything leaves a very visible scratch which makes me wonder what its going to look like in in 3 years time. Is this common, because I love the car?

VAG paint is one of the hardest paints out there. My Mazda was like butter and thin. Around 80u on the scud 130u!

Disagree on the Skoda, it is rubbish, the front bumper i think is actually painted out of butter!

Your bumper would have had a respray if its that soft, they make VAG specfic polishes for German built cars for the very reason. However hard paint would not resist chipping in fact it makes it worse. One of the reasons I got the front of my car covered in VentureShield, 18 months on and its totally "mint". :giggle: :giggle:

Hasn't been sprayed, i would know if it had ;)

If you want to see thin paint you should see the current Honda Civic.

Slightest dink and it goes straight through the paint.

I've only had my current Octy for a few months, but still mint.

Can't say there were that many chips on my old one either.

Got to agree - that's perhaps my biggest complaint with my 2010 octy. Paint is so weak. Even a bit of grit under the sponge when washing it causes a scratch. I had a 10 year old focus and that didn't scratch at all - completely grit resistant - so Skoda has just used very cheap paint imo (it's not like ford would have been using anything flash).

My Bora paintwork is amazing compared to this.....With the Octy, I am convinced you could machine every mark off it, put it in the garage and then in the morning there would be new marks on it :giggle:

Have to agree that paint is not the Octavia's strongest point. I have several stone chips on the bonnet (and I don't tailgate at 90mph) and am under 10K miles. As a comparison, I once owned a BMW 3 series from new and at 50K miles it had less stone chips than the Skoda. It still looks very smart but closer inspection reveals these irritating stone chips. I know it is a VAG product but that does not necessarily mean the paintwork is to the same standard as VW/Audi even though mechanicals are shared.

I'd recommend applying a paint sealant, once the paint is clean (use a clay bar first).

The a couple of coats of a durable wax, such as Collinite 476.

You should find this helps protect the finish, but obviously you still have to be careful. As in - don't put bikes up against the car emoticon-0104-surprised.gif

I live out in the sticks of Surrey & with loads of narrow lanes and a council that can't be arsed to keep things trimmed back I've found that my 09 plate Octy has loads of scratches on it and whilst they're mostly fine ones there are one or two slightly deeper ones which will require a expert polisher to solve.

Not overly happy with the paint quality I'm afraid. :thumbdown:

I've come back to vag / skoda after having. A golf for 10 years then getting a Korean car for the warranty, it stayed just a year as I could no longer stand the paint job deteriating the way it was , every time I took it out there were more chips! In the states the dealer offers ventureshield to be fitted before the car leaves the showroom ! A bit like lifeshine is so they are. Aware of a problem I then found that no matter which car makers forum you go on everyone is moaning about the modern water based paints they are brittle and tend to chip as there is no lead in the paint this made for a softer but more resilient finish, if front end chips are a problem then ventureshield as a clear bra for the front is the answer but really has to fitted befoore any obvious chips are visible as they can be seen through the flm( as mine was when I had it done) grrr!!

My Dark (Storm) Blue Octy is only one year old and has several chips and scratches. Some down to the metal so require attention, I have just bought some paint for this purpose.

Was there a guide on here how to repair chips so they blended in?

My Previous 7 year old silver BMW was much better as was a silver golf I had before that. So possibly some colours are better than others. I know a dark car with white under coat is a no no for me again..

Simon

Just shows how individual experiences vary.... my '08 car is silver and has only a very few chips in the lacquer layer from road stones grit etc... I do take care when washing it not to scrub grit into the paint from dirty sponges and cloths but aren't you supposed to take that precaution anyway ? I do use Autoglym polish and resin glaze though so perhaps that has helped. I never put it through automatic car wash. Probably kiss of death actually saying this and when I get it out later the paint will have all flaked off an be lying in a heap on the ground :D

Was there a guide on here how to repair chips so they blended in?

This is worth a look: http://www.chipex.co.uk/

As is http://www.drcolorchip.com/ (needs importing from the US though; we had a GB on this stuff a while back on here)

Or look into your local Chips Away franchise. Work quality does vary depending on location though, because of their franchise setup - so I'd only proceed here if you know of positive recommendation for the unit that covers your area.

Never had a car with such weak paint as my VRS,its Race Blue and stone chips so easily(and loads of gravel on irish roads)Just got a 08 BMW M3,and paint is like steel on it.A friend who is a painter even says the VAG paint is rubbish

Hi Wardy,

Thanks for the links, although I have already bought the paint. I am just after a guide on what to do. I have a fair idea, but trying to get the courage to do it as the ones that are worst are in the center of the bonnet!

Simon

This is worth a look: http://www.chipex.co.uk/

As is http://www.drcolorchip.com/ (needs importing from the US though; we had a GB on this stuff a while back on here)

Or look into your local Chips Away franchise. Work quality does vary depending on location though, because of their franchise setup - so I'd only proceed here if you know of positive recommendation for the unit that covers your area.

OK, well if you've got standard touch-up paint already, a good idea is to dab small touches of it into the affected areas. Just a case of time and patience really. I'd suggest using a cocktail stick for it; you're talking of adding paint in those sorts of quantities to the chip, in order to hopefully get a pretty smooth and even coverage.

Then carefully repeat with the included lacquer bottle.

• 2 months later...

I love my red 2010 Octavia hatchback 1.8turbo (petrol).

It's a great, (perfect for us) mix of performance, safety, convenience and carrying capacity.

However the paint seems to scratch really easily - driving along brambles, laying a bike against it, leaves scratches.

Any recommendations? Is it possible to put on a clear coat or something to help with this?

We are in New Zealand. We had a 2007 Yellow VW Beetle, a 2006 Acura and multiple previous cars in the USA that were not anything like this in terms of scratching.

Any thoughts appreciated.