VRS TDI PD MPG

I have just bought a 2006 Octavia VRS TDi PD and am not getting the MPG I was expecting. I am travelling about 20 miles each way to work and get approx 35-40MPG, but was expecting more than this. I am going through town on the way and do get caught in traffic though. Travelling at steady 70MPH doesn't seem to get better than about 35MPG. Is this consistent or is this what others are getting? Given the combined figure is supposed to be 49MPG, I was hoping to get around 45MPG. I have only filled up once and worked out as 39.5MPG for the tank, but am just going on the average MPG figure for each journey as the trip computer is stuck on that screen. Am keeping the revs down and driving carefully. I am used to driving a diesel Vectra with same quoted MPG figure and that seemed to return about 45-46MPG on average. Is there anything that could cause high MPG figure, please let me know.

My own car was the first one that had an economy gauge. I found that my natural driving style needed to be changed in order to get the maximum economy out of the car. I was quite surprised. I could be teaching you to suck eggs, so I won't go into any further detail on that.

Short journeys with stop start traffic in town will really kill the mpg. When I first got my car I was only doing short journeys into work and was getting 35-40 mpg which shocked me. In fact, driving it home from the dealer (about 160 miles) I only got just over 50mpg. I was worried that I'd bought the wrong car. The mpg difference between a steady 75mph and a steady 65mph is, over a long journey, about 10-15mpg in my experience.

Currently on long motorway driving carefully I get lows 40s, i am adamant something is up with it. I used to get high 45/46 doing a steady 70mph motorways. Last friday (one off) i got 51mpg driving like an utter saint. Still fault finding with it though :(

Hi, good purchase mate. I've recently bought an 06 VRS and i'm also unhappy with the mpg. I'm averaging about 35. The wife uses it for work which is mostly short journeys but i was hoping it would return around 40. If i drive very conservatively on the motorway i get about 47, still not great really. One thing i have noticed though is that the gauge seems to stick in some gears i.e. i could be rolling up to a junction with my foot off the gas but the instant gauge will still show figures as if my foot is on the gas. Obviously this will have a negative effect on the average. When i fill up the comp tells me i've got 430 miles in the tank. I'm using v-power as well, not sure its better for mpg or not.

Hi, good purchase mate. I've recently bought an 06 VRS and i'm also unhappy with the mpg. I'm averaging about 35. The wife uses it for work which is mostly short journeys but i was hoping it would return around 40. If i drive very conservatively on the motorway i get about 47, still not great really. One thing i have noticed though is that the gauge seems to stick in some gears i.e. i could be rolling up to a junction with my foot off the gas but the instant gauge will still show figures as if my foot is on the gas. Obviously this will have a negative effect on the average. When i fill up the comp tells me i've got 430 miles in the tank. I'm using v-power as well, not sure its better for mpg or not.

Have you done brim to brim calculations?

When you fill up do you note how many miles you managed on a tank?

35MPG around town is about right, if it were similar power petrol engine you'd probably be struggling to get over 25.

If economy is what you're after try keeping the revs as stedy as possible in the 2500-3000 rpm range.

This car drives different than any other diesel i drove before. At 130 km/h (80 mph) in 5th gear i get ~42 mpg and in 6th gear i only get ~37 mpg.

I only engage 6th gear after 140 km/h (87 mph)

Here is the mpg that i get in my car using the above RPM range in different gears:

-3rd 37-49 mph ~58 mpg

-4th 55-65 mph ~52 mpg

-5th 74-87 mph ~42 mpg

I get the same out of mine. I've done several brim to brim calculations and I reckon the MPG gauge is on the pessimistic side, it says average 42MPG and I'm getting 44MPG, it seems to be a trait of that type of engine. Welcome to the club.

Have you done brim to brim calculations?When you fill up do you note how many miles you managed on a tank?

35MPG around town is about right, if it were similar power petrol engine you'd probably be struggling to get over 25.

No I haven't but i think i will next time i fill up.

My PD vrs was used on 30 mile round trips to work and back on a mixture of a and b roads and never went better than 42 mpg. Motorway driving wasn't much better either. It seems the dpf on the PD kills consumption so your mileage isn't far off the mark to be honest. It looks like the CR engine is much better :'(

Edited by ima

41 average is bang on the money IMO. Thrash it around a bit and you'll still get about 36.

A lot of A4 pd owners were seeing some right old differences in mpg's over on vwaudiforum.

Had a PD 170 A3 for 3 1/2 years.

The CR is better by about 14mpg in my case. 30k a year

Does cleaning the MAF help with improving mpg?

Edited by prolfe