Stone Chipping again

drum

I have a metalic silver 1.2 DSG which has done 6542 to date and the offside door had 22 chip marks and the near side 6 and have been since January trying to get the job done properly, hopefully that should be Tuesday 26th april,have had help from customer service to get it done,as the original dealer would not repaint the doors just fitted the film, which you could see all the chips through.The dealer that customer service arranged to do the jod have had trouble fitting the film correctly.So not only non metalic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after about 7 weeks to and from Chathams Edinburgh and multiple phone calls, emails and the like the Yeti gets its rear door chips fixed properly last month. Pretty good job in the end on the second attempt. So fed up with the back and forth from garage ended up not grumbling about the couple of superficial lacquer scratches that I figured I would gently rub then rewax myself (!!) Only took about 10 days of actual car in the garage time in the end. Yes I am being a little sarcastic...

Now I notice a similar but slightly more subtle gravel rash and (whoopee!) four paint perforations - two with developing "subcutaneous" rust - appearing about half way along both front doors below the trim line. Fantastic! I have never had this sort of hassle with paintwork on a new car ever, and this is one that's never been off road, never swerved into gravelly verge (quite hard to do on the driver side under usual circumstance) or any rough stuff. In case you're wondering the reason for 4wd beast is for the winters up here in the sticks up a hill 57 degrees north. Which it excelled at.

So how can Skoda have made such a good car with such crap paintwork / paintwork protection? I've now realised (duh) why almost all other 4x4s have plastic at least a quarter of the way up the doors.

So all of you out there with the otherwise wonderful Yeti: get the car clean, get it dry, and get on your knees and have a really good look at the front doors this time. Might just be me, but I guess it's going to be more common on cars with wider alloys / tyres. Ours has got mudflaps so don't rule this out as proof against rash.

Any further thoughts / experiences / advice appreciated. Can you get full retail refund at current price off a 6400 mile car in otherwise perfect condition on the grounds that it is not of merchantable quality? A 6-month old car shouldn't have paint falling off it, and the logical extension of this is a rust-spotted car in less than a year.

Off to the bl****y (stronger word under normal circumstances would be inserted here) garage again on Monday.

Seriously though if anyone in the Lothians / Borders wants an otherwise perfect Yeti feel free to add a post here to avoid the 6-month wait. The above is almost a selling pitch isn't it?

So after about 7 weeks to and from Chathams Edinburgh and multiple phone calls, emails and the like the Yeti gets its rear door chips fixed properly last month. Pretty good job in the end on the second attempt. So fed up with the back and forth from garage ended up not grumbling about the couple of superficial lacquer scratches that I figured I would gently rub then rewax myself (!!) Only took about 10 days of actual car in the garage time in the end. Yes I am being a little sarcastic...

Now I notice a similar but slightly more subtle gravel rash and (whoopee!) four paint perforations - two with developing "subcutaneous" rust - appearing about half way along both front doors below the trim line. Fantastic! I have never had this sort of hassle with paintwork on a new car ever, and this is one that's never been off road, never swerved into gravelly verge (quite hard to do on the driver side under usual circumstance) or any rough stuff. In case you're wondering the reason for 4wd beast is for the winters up here in the sticks up a hill 57 degrees north. Which it excelled at.

So how can Skoda have made such a good car with such crap paintwork / paintwork protection? I've now realised (duh) why almost all other 4x4s have plastic at least a quarter of the way up the doors.

So all of you out there with the otherwise wonderful Yeti: get the car clean, get it dry, and get on your knees and have a really good look at the front doors this time. Might just be me, but I guess it's going to be more common on cars with wider alloys / tyres. Ours has got mudflaps so don't rule this out as proof against rash.

Any further thoughts / experiences / advice appreciated. Can you get full retail refund at current price off a 6400 mile car in otherwise perfect condition on the grounds that it is not of merchantable quality? A 6-month old car shouldn't have paint falling off it, and the logical extension of this is a rust-spotted car in less than a year.

Off to the bl****y (stronger word under normal circumstances would be inserted here) garage again on Monday.

Seriously though if anyone in the Lothians / Borders wants an otherwise perfect Yeti feel free to add a post here to avoid the 6-month wait. The above is almost a selling pitch isn't it?

I am a little disappointed about paint job as well. You never know, they might bring an "Offroad Pack Plus" with moulding on the side!

Edited by My_Yeti

My previous Yeti had some side chips after 13,000 miles but I would class this as normal ware and tare particularly on the very rubbish roads round here :S wife's eight month old Fabia with 7000 miles done looks like it's been 'dragged through a hedge backwards' already :( sadly have to put up and accept these things and in my case regularly check for and touch in any chips as best you can.

Stones down the flanks especially on the drivers side can be stuff thrown up by vehicles going the other way, again the Fabia has a 4 inch scratch along the bottom of the drivers door from something hitting it while on the move :doh:

Only real answer is as suggested to fit protective film; kits can be obtained for particular models, either DIY or pro fit.

for example - My link

Regards,

TP

Sorry, but let's be realistic here.

Do you honestly believe that your claim of "not of merchantable quality" because it has a few stone chips on it would stand up in a Court?

We have just been through one of the worst winters for years that has left our roads in terrible condition, so as soon as you drive a car on the road you are accepting that damage is possible. One of the first questions you would be asked is what measures you took to minimise the damage. Do you have front mud flaps, for example?

And I'm sorry but if you closely examine nearly every car on the road you will find some damage. Modern paints are known to be "soft" because they are now water based instead of chemical and are easily damaged. It isn't just Skoda and Yeti's, it is every make from BMW to Nissan.

See my post #130 to 'foils fitted for free' for the definitive solution to this.

It took 8 months of argument to have ALL the doors repainted and standard foils fitted at Skoda's expense after the car's first winter and subsequent fitting of clear plastic film to all the doors below the rubbing strip at my expense.

Result - second winter passed and no more damage.

Skoda need to fit more effective protection to the lower front and rear doors as this is esentially a design problem.

Sorry, but let's be realistic here.

Do you honestly believe that your claim of "not of merchantable quality" because it has a few stone chips on it would stand up in a Court?

We have just been through one of the worst winters for years that has left our roads in terrible condition, so as soon as you drive a car on the road you are accepting that damage is possible. One of the first questions you would be asked is what measures you took to minimise the damage. Do you have front mud flaps, for example?

And I'm sorry but if you closely examine nearly every car on the road you will find some damage. Modern paints are known to be "soft" because they are now water based instead of chemical and are easily damaged. It isn't just Skoda and Yeti's, it is every make from BMW to Nissan.

Erm, no: a car that's done 6400 should not be going rusty (yes there are rust spots not just stone chips, which I would deal with happily and accept as reasonable wear and tear) particularly when it's (1) got mud flaps since new - read the post - (2) doesn't do off-road and (3) has 12 year (IIRC) bodywork / perforation warranty.

Gone to Skoda after two Hondas, these totalling 135000 miles and yes some stone chips but no rust / perforation. The definition of perforation is probably arguable but would you have a car with rust after 6400 miles, particularly one with the rough / tough / soft 4x4 marketing that the Yeti has? If you would good luck, but no thanks. I don't think that's merchantable quality paint, even if the rest's fine. Wind the clock forward 10000 miles and whatcha got?! Two tone car

Oh, and yes the winter was a wild one, but my previous Civic, although a bit of a sledge as far as handling went got through the previous one and three before that - 2009/10 was worse up here than 2010/11 - and when traded in at four years old had no rust. Got the Yeti as the CRV too expensive to buy / run / insure etc etc. Bet it doesn't rust though.

Nothing personal but I don't agree with your post: Cars may chip a bit but not have full-thickness breeches.

Cheers!

See my post #130 to 'foils fitted for free' for the definitive solution to this.

It took 8 months of argument to have ALL the doors repainted and standard foils fitted at Skoda's expense after the car's first winter and subsequent fitting of clear plastic film to all the doors below the rubbing strip at my expense.

Result - second winter passed and no more damage.

Skoda need to fit more effective protection to the lower front and rear doors as this is esentially a design problem.

Cheers. Will read your post. Do you think Skoda will remember you for a subsequent complaint (from me) to quote your fun time getting sorted out as a precedent?

Are some paint colours more prone to chipping?

My Yeti is Steel Grey metallic, Mudflaps fitted from new, foils fitted about 4 weeks after delivery as paid for

item as not fitted as standard item then. Read about problem on this forum. No chips noticed before foils fitted.

Dealer did good first time job with foil wrapped around door edge as the correct procedure. Even some factory fitted foils I've seen in dealerships were not fitted as well.

6000 miles, 8 months old and chips as below.

2 off 2mm on front of roof in front of roof rail attachment point.

1 off 2mm bonnet chip 1/3 way back from front.

1 off 1mm near side lower front door chip (below black protection strip).

Careful driver, no off road (2WD). Pretty good as far as chips concerned so far.

Given a regular polish about 3 times to date as may help in deflecting stones...or that is the theory!!

The most dirt magnet car I have ever owned (ignoring the Sahara dust)!!

Edited by kibby

Are some paint colours more prone to chipping?

My Yeti is Steel Grey metallic, Mudflaps fitted from new, foils fitted about 4 weeks after delivery as paid for

item as not fitted as standard item then. Read about problem on this forum. No chips noticed before foils fitted.

Dealer did good first time job with foil wrapped around door edge as the correct procedure. Even some factory fitted foils I've seen in dealerships were not fitted as well.

6000 miles, 8 months old and chips as below.

2 off 1-2mm on front of roof in front of roof rail attachment point.

1 off 2mm bonnet chip 1/3 way back from front.

1 off 1mm near side lower front door chip (below black protection strip).

Careful driver, no off road (2WD). Pretty good so far. Given a regular polish about 3 times to date as may help in

deflecting stones...or that is the theory!!

I think there is something to do with the colours and also, as you said, waxing it.

I waxe mine quite regularly to deflect the stones and debris, but I think the main reason for mine (not fitted with foil, as chips are too small) could be due to the metallic paint, the dealer I went to say soli paint suffer the most. Again, no off-roading for me, just farm lane once or twice, mix A, B, C and M roads.

With regards to other chips, have about 5-6 chips on front bumper and 1 on the mirror. I think overall the Yeti are fine with front stone chips, apart from mine, which I will hopefully hear back from Skoda regarding my bumper (not the chips, but paint stripping).

EDIT: Also fitted with wheel arches and that might have reduced some of the chips (on the lip of rear doors).

Edited by My_Yeti

I think there is something to do with the colours and also, as you said, waxing it.

I waxe mine quite regularly to deflect the stones and debris, but I think the main reason for mine (not fitted with foil, as chips are too small) could be due to the metallic paint, the dealer I went to say soli paint suffer the most. Again, no off-roading for me, just farm lane once or twice, mix A, B, C and M roads.

With regards to other chips, have about 5-6 chips on front bumper and 1 on the mirror. I think overall the Yeti are fine with front stone chips, apart from mine, which I will hopefully hear back from Skoda regarding my bumper (not the chips, but paint stripping).

EDIT: Also fitted with wheel arches and that might have reduced some of the chips (on the lip of rear doors).

I also deliberately keep my distance when following traffic on particularly gritty roads.

Totally mystified as to how wax polish prevents stone chips - is this a 'Rapture' moment? :rofl:

Slippery surface, less friction, stones slide MAYBE rather than dig in.

Probably a load of b....cks!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a pale metallic blue/grey yeti, it's done about 6,000 miles in the year we've had it. There are no stone chips, and the paint work looks great - so why have they got me to book it in for a respray and foils? If the paintwork is ok, surely they can just clean it up and stick foils on.. or is it possible that the paintwork is faulty and I just don't know it yet.. which would surely mean the entire car should be resprayed?

I'm wavering at the moment, whether to let them at my seemingly good paintwork in case they make it worse.. :S

During discussion with the dealer they admitted there is a Tech Bulletin for this extensive problem and that Skoda have indicated that the foils were somehow omitted from the assembly stock inventory only on RHD's built for the UK and Irish market. (I remain unconvinced)

Anyone got the details of the TSB?

Reference number and date would be good.

tom

I have a pale metallic blue/grey yeti, it's done about 6,000 miles in the year we've had it. There are no stone chips, and the paint work looks great - so why have they got me to book it in for a respray and foils? If the paintwork is ok, surely they can just clean it up and stick foils on.. or is it possible that the paintwork is faulty and I just don't know it yet.. which would surely mean the entire car should be resprayed?

I'm wavering at the moment, whether to let them at my seemingly good paintwork in case they make it worse.. :S

I would strongly recommend that you take a look at this parallel thread:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/169998-rear-door-protective-film-fitted-for-free/page__st__140__p__2389527__fromsearch__1#entry2389527

I experienced a good deal of grief under very similar circumstances to you. I accept that a paintwork problem existed but take heed of the advice, particularly regarding the fitting of new foils. The paintwork damage could hardly be seen on my car - it just looked like specs of dust but you could feel the roughness caused by the slight removal of the top layer of paint. The other thread details the problems.

There is a natural divider on the doors where the rubbing strip is and so a full respray should not be needed. Just make sure that the person fitting the foils has done it before.

My car looks great now but the whole experience of getting to this point was very stressful. I do my AA Speed Awareness Course next week in lieu of the first points on my license in 27 years, incurred whilst driving the garages dratted Fabia loan car whilst the bodyshop were bodging my Yeti :swear:

Oh, my car was Autoglym Lifeshine'd' from new and washed weekly and further waxed every couple of months too...

• 2 months later...

Hi all I am having continued problems with the dreaded stone chip rash on both front and rear doors.(Corrida Red 2wd 110)

I had the mud flaps fitted from new and the car has never been off road .

Skoda have agreed to a second re-spray of the rear doors with new foils to be fitted.

My dealer also feels that the front doors are as bad but Skoda are telling me that as they have only had 3 complaints registered with them about the front doors (if they get 5 similar problems they will take it up with the factory.

Have any of you got similar experience on the front door? The damage is towards the rear of the front door and extends across most of the rear door, all below the plastic side strip.

I would appreciate your comments. :yes:

Have any of you got similar experience on the front door? The damage is towards the rear of the front door and extends across most of the rear door, all below the plastic side strip.

I would appreciate your comments. :yes:

I'm always amazed at where mud goes to sit on the side of my car... ALWAYS right on the foils on the back door - and thus where the stone chipping will happen. Do the same and see where it sticks to the front door. Can't say I've seen it stick to the front door OR any stone chips there. BUT then I've not really been looking.

I have mudflaps too and they don't seem to stop the rear door stone chipping at all. Unless you widen them like someone on here did. Can't remember who.

I've had two Tornado (Corrida) Red Golfs - both have chipped at the slightest piece of grit flying within a metre of the car - no help to you, I know but some colours do seem to chip more readily?

There may be an argument for getting one of the proprietary transparent shields applied to these susceptible panels?

EG http://lyxus.net/ihaf

I've had two Tornado (Corrida) Red Golfs - both have chipped at the slightest piece of grit flying within a metre of the car - no help to you, I know but some colours do seem to chip more readily?

There may be an argument for getting one of the proprietary transparent shields applied to these susceptible panels?

EG http://lyxus.net/ihaf

Solid colours do not have the final protective clear coat that metallic colours get... So it will always be solid colours that will chip by FAR the most, so red and solid blue and black will be top of the list for stone chips since you will see the white base coat. White cars won't show it as much for the same reason but will also chip easily.

Thanks Merlinman and 900000 for your thoughts .I am negotiating with my dealer at present to see if he will fit some extra foil when the car goes in to get the warranty work done for the rear doors.

I have noticed the mud splashes from about halfway along front door onto back door with a small amount on the rear foil.I am thinking about extending the mud flaps so will see if I can find the original thread for any ideas.

Thanks Merlinman and 900000 for your thoughts .I am negotiating with my dealer at present to see if he will fit some extra foil when the car goes in to get the warranty work done for the rear doors.

I have noticed the mud splashes from about halfway along front door onto back door with a small amount on the rear foil.I am thinking about extending the mud flaps so will see if I can find the original thread for any ideas.

You can see the flaps I'm on about here:

http://briskoda.net/...ost__p__2251035

DSC00137a.jpg

So ask Bahnstomer how he did it! But in that thread he says: "Rally flaps are 2011 MSA spec 4mm plastic mudflaps from Demon Tweeks, cut to size and then pop riveted to the OE flaps"

Err - since the introduction of water based paints, colour and clear is the norm for all car paints?

Ah...... I was quoting from what someone had said in a previous thread about this... That it is the solid colours that get them the most. And I think even on this forum you'll find it is mostly the guys with red Yetis that have suffered. I might be wrong! :giggle: