Fabia vrs V Fabia 1.9tdi

JMC400

Posted this earlier probably in the wrong section so here goes:

O.k I'm thinking of getting a fabia (diesel) but undecided which one to go for. Needs are for around town, local. My head says 1.9tdi 100bhp but my heart says the vrs.

Only £200 difference on the insurance any advice would be helpful.

I'm at the tender age of 38 now so the need for speed is not as great as it use to be:)

Also can somebody advise on the security on these cars as I don't have parking in front of the house.

Thanks.

Why would one need a diesel or a 1.9 around town? Do you need the size? If it was me I would look at something smaller if it was purely for local drives.

Diesel 1st and 2nd gears are not as fun/useable as petrol..

Suggestions like, 1.5 Yaris, 1.6 Swift, civic, Mazda 3, focus, fiesta etc.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Edited by JLneonhug

Why would one need a diesel or a 1.9 around town? Do you need the size? If it was me I would look at something smaller if it was purely for local drives.

Diesel 1st and 2nd gears are not as fun/useable as petrol..

Suggestions like, 1.5 Yaris, 1.6 Swift, civic, Mazda 3, focus, fiesta etc.

Quite. PD is a clattery old beast around town. Smaller petrol would be my suggestion too, but if you wanted a runaround, the TDi over the vRS would be what I'd go for I think. I just feel the vRS would be wasted a bit pottering around town in stop-start traffic.

Good idea - the little three pot 1.2 is a nice little engine, or if you must go diesel how about the three cylinder 1.4TDI?

My 100bhp 1.9TDI is great, i love it! My girlfriend had the 3 cylinder 1.2 Fabia and it just felt strangled, overtaking with it took some guts.

My 100bhp 1.9TDI is great, i love it! My girlfriend had the 3 cylinder 1.2 Fabia and it just felt strangled, overtaking with it took some guts.

Amd mpg is poor on the 1.2, though might not be much in it with a diesel round town.

To the OP what about an Aygo? Great fun to drive, economical, cheap to run and perfect for nipping about town, and far from a total embarassment out on the open road either. Why not ignore badges and go for most practical option? ;)

I also agree that a diesel would be wasted in urban driving. They feel heavy and sluggish in 1st and 2nd, and the torque is wasted in city driving. And when you do give it some beans it's almost too fast in town tbh. Revving a little petrol around, but not actually going fast,is far more fun! :thumbup:

Forget the TDi or the VRS, buy an SDi. Absolutely brilliant in town, averaged 58+mpg over nearly 6 years and 70,000 miles. 50% approx spent visiting customers in town, normally less than a mile apart.

First time you're gonna change lanes or join traffic from a junction you're gonna be sorry for not getting the strongest little car you could. Forget the 1.2, 1.4 or the SDI as they are dead-slow (no offense to anyone owning one :giggle: ). The TDI could be far less hassle in maintenance, and gives more mpg, but the RS is the perfect car for driving around town.

Worst case scenario, get the awfully noisy, rattly and shaky 1.4TDI.

This is an vRS owners perspective ;)

In our family we have both. I own a 2004 vRS and my mother has a 2003 (53) 1.9 TDI Comfort.

There are many difference between them both, from different springs/dampers and gearbox (5sp vs 6sp) to different seats, instraments, etc.

The vRS as you wound expect is more sporty and the 1.9TDI is more smoother in ride and more economical. I average 45-50 mpg and she does 55-60 mpg.

Posted this earlier probably in the wrong section so here goes:

O.k I'm thinking of getting a fabia (diesel) but undecided which one to go for. Needs are for around town, local. My head says 1.9tdi 100bhp but my heart says the vrs.

Only £200 difference on the insurance any advice would be helpful.

I'm at the tender age of 38 now so the need for speed is not as great as it use to be:)

Also can somebody advise on the security on these cars as I don't have parking in front of the house.

Thanks.

I've got a PD100 fabia, it's my commuting car, so I do about 60miles a day in it, which is a mixture of a-road, b-road and town driving (lots of speed bumps).

I personally appreciate the soft long travel suspension, soaks up all the lumps and bumps nicely making for a nice relaxing drive home

I've had my one remapped to 130bhp and 200+ lbs torque, and it simply made the engine feel more muscular, giving it a wider power band (more low down pull, and less strangled at the top)

The car doesn't attract any unwanted attention (in fact it looks pretty much like a grandma car if I'm honest), which is just what I need, so I can park it anywhere and not worry.

The car comes with deadlocks and remote central locking. No alarm as standard, but TBH who's gonna nick this grandma car anyway?

rounded up with 14inch steel wheels, even tyres are cheap (£40-50 for branded tyres like Goodyear/Dunlops/Michellins)

For me the engine noise is a bit loud when cold, sounds very taxi like, but it's worth it when you can get 45-60mpg depending on how you drive, and for around town the soft ride is a real must have.

Thanx for the replies much appreciated, already owned focus,fiesta,civic don't really want a Japanese. Doing my research I think the skoda's are pretty economical compared to others.

Reason I said jap or Ford is that its robust for town runs and/or cheap for parts. I and girlfriend has/had a Yaris (i had the tsport) and it never missed a beat, no silly timing belts to replace every 4 yrs, no turbos to go wrong etc...

I have a vrs bcos its good for motorway and aroads, not bcos of town driving :(