Have you got a boost surge after a re-map?

I don't really want to start removing valves pipework etc just for selling on purposes. My next move is to change the plugs but i wnt be spending anymore money after that.

Would you mind ollie leting me know when/if you solve the problem.

Hi Paul, Im in the same boat, been looking through the different forums in regard to the N249 bypass. I am not convinced this is the problem either. There seem to be mixed results, some people find no difference and some report lower mpg which I can do without. It seems that its sighted as a possible area for leaks and by bypassing it you get rid of this problem.

I think I will change the plugs and clean the throttle body and test it again. If you find a cure first let me know! Are you going for the NGK BKR7E?

Yeah i have looked at this also but as i said i really don't want to start removing valves and pipework etc don't want engine management lights coming on every other week. I feel you shouldn't have to remove valves etc to ge a map to work properly on your car. As westallc states if the map is removed and the problem dissapears we know whats at fault.

I have a STS unit also so i might put my car back to standard tonight and see if the surge dissapears if it does ill know what is at fault. I don't mean to sound like a dickhe@d but when you pay good money for a remap you do expect it to work properly and not have to start removing valves pipework etc etc. Iam not saying the remap is bad or anything i just don't think its agreed with my car. My VAG speciallist couldn't find anything wrong with it. As you can tell i am starting to get really frustrated by this.

Regards to plugs ollie i haven't decided to which ones to go for ill turn the map off tonight to see if that cures the problem.

get ben to remove the map then if its gone you know its a problem with the map and doesnt matter how many things you change it wont cure it!!!!

That's what I did. Factory map returned a smooth non-surging car. New map from different tuner, no issues. The remap I had on originally was already on lots of other 1.8t cars without any problems. Mine didn't like it and after three different tweaks, the issue remained.

I had to bite the bullet and go elsewhere, even though the original mapper was bending over backwards to help me. I didn't ask for a refund in the end, just stumped up the cash for a custom map.

It is frustrating but at the end of the day the car worked fine without any modifications and when you start messing about with it you take your chances so there is no point in falling out with anyone. If I have to go back to standard it would not put me off going back to Shark in the future.

Yeah i totally agree with you mate. At the end of the day we are chooseing to play about with the cars ecu etc so we are taking the chance. Its just so frustrateing you just want it to wrok properly.

Yeah i can't fault ben or shark he was very helfpul when i spoke to him when i purschased the map and sts unit this wouldnt put me off going there again. I don't know what it is maybe our cars just don't like the map.

Yeah i totally agree with you mate. At the end of the day we are chooseing to play about with the cars ecu etc so we are taking the chance. Its just so frustrateing you just want it to wrok properly.

Yeah i can't fault ben or shark he was very helfpul when i spoke to him when i purschased the map and sts unit this wouldnt put me off going there again. I don't know what it is maybe our cars just don't like the map.

Its because there "special" :think:

Been there, gone through all that. Took me about 1 year to sort out the problems. It was incredibly frustrating, I almost set the car on fire couple of times but at the end it was worth the effort (I guess B) ) . But I wouldn`t learn some much about the 1.8t engines that everything was OK :) .

Good luck!

Been there, gone through all that. Took me about 1 year to sort out the problems. It was incredibly frustrating, I almost set the car on fire couple of times but at the end it was worth the effort (I guess B) ) . But I wouldn`t learn some much about the 1.8t engines that everything was OK :) .

Good luck!

Are you willing to disclose your cure???? ;)

Haha maybe they are.

How does your car pull in 1st and 2nd gear? I have no probs at all with 1st and 2nd pulls very well,

It pulls fine all through the gears its only till you either use 1/2 to 3/4 throttle or if your at low rpm at high speed i.e motorway crusing.

If I was you Id just put stock plugs in. Mine is the Mk2 VRS and I put the NGK iridium plugs in. Initially it felt better but then I had a misfire when under wide open throttle. I got some stock plugs from TPS parts fitted them and the car ran much better. It might hopefully be something as simple as your plugs. They only cost £5 each so a very low cost possible fix?

give Ben a chance to see if he can solve it I'm sure he will do all he can. I still think the best form of diagnostics would be on the rolling road. You can bypass the N249 easily without getting a CEL or butchering the pipe work. I think its worth a try. A Rolling road would have been able to tell you if your MAF was at fault or not, no point replacing parts on a whim.

Yes thats the exact same as my problem it will pull fine through the gears if you pull away from a junction for example. If you use half throttle like you say it will hold back.

So we have the exact same issure are cars are cursed lol

If I was you Id just put stock plugs in. Mine is the Mk2 VRS and I put the NGK iridium plugs in. Initially it felt better but then I had a misfire when under wide open throttle. I got some stock plugs from TPS parts fitted them and the car ran much better. It might hopefully be something as simple as your plugs. They only cost £5 each so a very low cost possible fix?

It has bosch stock plugs in that are less than 4k miles old. I doubt its this, I think i will get the plugs out and check them before I swap them with new ones. There are no other running issues the car runs very smooth etc.

give Ben a chance to see if he can solve it I'm sure he will do all he can. I still think the best form of diagnostics would be on the rolling road. You can bypass the N249 easily without getting a CEL or butchering the pipe work. I think its worth a try. A Rolling road would have been able to tell you if your MAF was at fault or not, no point replacing parts on a whim.

I have bought a new MAF so its not that anyway. To be honest I am not too happy putting my car on a rolling road and having it pushed to its limits ,I am not sure how this would tell me anything different to what I already know? Still want to hold off on the N249 bypass as it should be able to run fine with this in place and it seems to give mixed results looking at other people who have done it, seems to be along the same lines as replacing parts on a whim?

I have bought a new MAF so its not that anyway. To be honest I am not too happy putting my car on a rolling road and having it pushed to its limits ,I am not sure how this would tell me anything different to what I already know? Still want to hold off on the N249 bypass as it should be able to run fine with this in place and it seems to give mixed results looking at other people who have done it, seems to be along the same lines as replacing parts on a whim?

It doesn't sounds like you will listen to my advice on the N249 (which is a free mod) or getting in the rollers. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.

It doesn't sounds like you will listen to my advice on the N249 (which is a free mod) or getting in the rollers. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.

I am listening and appreciate the advise mate, I just cant see how getting on the rollers will tell me anything else than what I already know? I am reluctant to do the N249 bypass as I said reading on through all the different posts it seems to have mixed results and in some cases introduces new problems. I am no expert and any advice is welcome :thumbup: You have to understand my car is my precious ;)

Right just got home from work early and put the car back to the standard map. I just took it out for a quick spin and there was no surgeing at all. It was noticeably slower obviously without the remap but no surgeing, so it seems it could be something wrong with the map. Hopefully ben can sort ollies car then sort mine :-)

Right just got home from work early and put the car back to the standard map. I just took it out for a quick spin and there was no surgeing at all. It was noticeably slower obviously without the remap but no surgeing, so it seems it could be something wrong with the map. Hopefully ben can sort ollies car then sort mine :-)

maybe so but not always necessairly, you must remember that when the car is mapped alot of the standard parameters are upped, so something that would not show on the standard map, will show up on the modified map even though the fault is still there on the standard map. Hope you get what i mean, i.e something that is not noticable on the standard map, but can show up once mapped as a problem. Hope that helps

I had a similar problem on my 4x4 when I first had it mapped. I had to change bits and pieces as the increased boost showed up lots of perished and split pipework. After I was happy that all the shoddy pipes were OK I did the N249 bypass which did not CURE the problem but it certainly did lessen it. For me the cure was for the mapper to change the way the boost came in, its much smoother delivery and doesn't peak so high.

Personally I would just say to hell with it and get the stage 2 :D :D :D (along with all the bits that are needed) :D

As much as the stage 2 is appealing I can never ever convince the misses this would be a good idea :giggle: Thanks karlbar2k I am hoping this is the cure then I can spend some money on some other tweeks :)

Guest westallc

it will be map related as paul has seen putting his back to standard!!!

what you need to do is get ben to remove the map back to standard and then start again!!! generic maps can and will react different on every car