Have you got a boost surge after a re-map?

Any further updates from the boys at shark?

Wondering if use have managed to solve it completly. Had this new map on my car now for a week and its so nearly there very little sugeing in 4th and 5th just hope the next one will be it perfect :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Right!

We really think we have this nailed now but need a car to test it on. This would need to be a live test at the workshop which if sucessful we could roll out to STS users and other workshop customers.

Any volunteers?

Hi All

Just spent the last 15-20 mins reading this and very interesting.

I had my stock (53 plate) VRS mapped by Shark about a month ago. I too have exactly the same issue. I mainly see it on the motorway. Overall I'm happy with the map in 1/2/3rd gear but 4th & 5th is really starting to wind me up! I had a previous stock vrs mapped by impossible performance and that didn't have any issues so I'm surprised that the Shark map (which I think is more conservative power wise) has an issue.

I've actually been meaning to contact you Ben to discuss this but I've been really busy lately and haven't got round to it.

Unfortunately I'm based in Hampshire so I cant bring my car to you to test out a potential fix.

Please can you keep us all informed on progress. I'll try to give you a call to discuss if I don't read anything over the next week.

thanks

Mike

Edited by morgan349

Hi Mike, yes this is very interesting and more reassuring that its not a fault with my own car. I have been to Shark 3 times and we are still not any better off really. After driving it on various roads and speeds it seems the different maps that have been tried just shift the surging about but generally its in the same place as has already been described, always apparent when on the motorway. I took the car in on the 13th April after Ben believed he had found a cure for the problem. I was there for several hours but it was not to be and the problem remains.

Shark have asked me if they can test another map on the car but the soonest I can get down is the 17th May. If anyone can get there sooner it would be much appreciated. From Shark the car needs to be with them and not done via STS.

I am afraid for me if this does not cure it I will be going back standard, I have lived with the surging since January and it really hampers the enjoyment of driving the car, I would rather have less power and no surging.

Hope there is some good news soon :thumbup:

Guest westallc

suprised to see this is still a huge problem!!!!!

whats your mapping guru said ben as it must be a problem somewhere inthe writing of the map ???

Is this 'surging' damaging to the car or is it mainly a driveability issue?

My only small concern after being sharked is that the car pulls very strongly, in fact so much so that when flooring it, i gets pushed back in the seat, then the the power seems to drop off suddenly, and then pulls strongly again. Not sure if that is what other members are referring to surging?

I don't have a boost gague so no idea of what psi/bar i am getting.

Is this 'surging' damaging to the car or is it mainly a driveability issue?

My only small concern after being sharked is that the car pulls very strongly, in fact so much so that when flooring it, i gets pushed back in the seat, then the the power seems to drop off suddenly, and then pulls strongly again. Not sure if that is what other members are referring to surging?

I don't have a boost gague so no idea of what psi/bar i am getting.

Sounds like surging to me, you will also here the turbo whistle coming on and off if its the same as mine.

Thanks both, so long as it's not damaging the car any more than a remap should then i'm less concerned. For shorter bursts of speed it is pretty effective (i.e. overtaking), but can be a little off putting when you temporarily seem to lose all drive. My map is via STS, so no real chance of getting to Ben anyway so will have to wait for a different map to be created and tested.

IMHO Ben should be dropping a note to those that have received this map (he has all our email addresses and home addresses) to establish how wide the issue might be and to confirm what options are available to those customers who are suffering this problem. As said before, as long as it is not damaging to the turbo, etc, then i'm happy to wait for a fix even if it takes a few months, but if i wasn't following this thread then i may not even realise that the map isn't quite working as it should. :|

suprised to see this is still a huge problem!!!!!

whats your mapping guru said ben as it must be a problem somewhere inthe writing of the map ???

As stated earlier in the thread it's a problem within the standard software which shows itself on certain cars. It is a car problem although a map (not just ours) can make it worse but doesn't always.

There are plenty of cars that don't show this problem but for those that do we are working on a fix, but with limited and infrequent access to an affected car, it does make things difficult and slow.

What exactly is the problem then Ben?

And I can get up to you on monday if its any use to you, but I do have 95 ron **** fuel in it. :thumbdown:

IMHO Ben should be dropping a note to those that have received this map (he has all our email addresses and home addresses) to establish how wide the issue might be and to confirm what options are available to those customers who are suffering this problem.

Thanks for your thoughts but with respect what I should be doing is trying to fix the problem rather than causing potentially weeks of administration. I'm 8 days behind on my emails as it is.

I appreciate where you're coming from as I do with everyone who is experiencing this problem however we can't fix this without an affected car to work on as not every car is affected. We have tried with OllieH's car and been unsuccessful so far.

If someone (rk696) can bring his car to us on Monday then perhaps we will have it nailed.

And, can 'affected' cars safely run with this map or will it cause further strain on the turbo or other components?

If you think it might cause additional strain (over and above what a map would be expected to cause), then customers with this problem should be advised accordingly so they can either accept the extra risk or remove the map until the fix is supplied.

Thanks for your thoughts but with respect what I should be doing is trying to fix the problem rather than causing potentially weeks of administration. I'm 8 days behind on my emails as it is.

I know how busy you are and agree a fix is no 1 priority, but your customers will need to be informed of when you have a fix should they think they might have this problem. I'm not sure you can rely on everyone just knowing that their map isn't working as it should for their car, nor will everyone with a map on their VRS be reading this thread.

I still really like the map i have (surge or no surge), but i would like to think i would be informed that i might have a map that needs to be tweaked, and i especially would want to know sooner rather than later IF a surge issue is going to cause any additional strain on my turbo. If this was the case i would take my map off until you have a revised map available.

What exactly is the problem then Ben?

Well that's the $64,000 dollar question.

Simply put some cars do it and some don't. The problem is present on standard software as well as modified software although it is not as pronounced.

We're pretty sure it's a function that controls boost that relates to intake air temps. However modifying that function has helped some cars and not others.

I hope people can understand that there's no magic wand to wave here. This issue is not caused by our software, it's caused by the standard software, and only seems to be a problem on certain cars. I'm sure we can work around it in mapping. The big problem is that it's easy to point the finger in our direction because we've messed with your car, but as you can see from earlier posts about this in this thread, it is a car issue and not our software and so while we're working to fix this I would really appreciate it if the witchhunt could stop for a little while. That way I can spend more time problem solving and less time on Briskoda and email trying to keep up with it all.

We do care, it's 00:05 on a Friday night. How many other tuning companies are offering user support at this time of night ;)

And, can 'affected' cars safely run with this map or will it cause further strain on the turbo or other components?

If you think it might cause additional strain (over and above what a map would be expected to cause), then customers with this problem should be advised accordingly so they can either accept the extra risk or remove the map until the fix is supplied.

There's absolutely no safety issue at all, and no extra or undue stress is being caused on any components, so no need to worry.

You love it Ben, admit it! :rofl:

Hopefully it's something you can get sorted. I initially thought it was the car overboosting, then the ecu opening wastegate, then overboosting and so on over and over again.

Obviously you know more than me though! I've tried doing logs of requested and actual boost, and they look OK to me.

I know how busy you are and agree a fix is no 1 priority, but your customers will need to be informed of when you have a fix should they think they might have this problem. I'm not sure you can rely on everyone just knowing that their map isn't working as it should for their car, nor will everyone with a map on their VRS be reading this thread.

I still really like the map i have (surge or no surge), but i would like to think i would be informed that i might have a map that needs to be tweaked, and i especially would want to know sooner rather than later IF a surge issue is going to cause any additional strain on my turbo. If this was the case i would take my map off until you have a revised map available.

Just answered re strain etc in previous post, looks like we were both posting at the same time.

Given that there are a small few cars that seem to be affected (and I test drive nigh-on every car personally) it's just not practical to contact every member and perhaps not as easy as you might think. We don't have emails linked to invoices and we don't have telephone numbers. Not all Octavia VRSs are the same ECU numbers and therefore have different maps, some that might have a possibility of displaying this problem and some without. It would just be a gargantuan task, and probably mostly of little or no gain to customers or us. Therefore we have to assume that things are ok until such a time that we know otherwise :)

Hopefully this week will shed some more light and we'll be closer to a fix.