Photography Thread

Tas

I've been following the arguments :D on POTN about the new 90D. I assume you are using the Aiservo through the lens? rather than AF in live view. POTN reports that the live view dual pixel AF is fantastic, but the optical AF is not as good. Although you lose a few fps with live view. How do you find it compared to other Canons? 

15 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I've been following the arguments :D on POTN about the new 90D. I assume you are using the Aiservo through the lens? rather than AF in live view. POTN reports that the live view dual pixel AF is fantastic, but the optical AF is not as good. Although you lose a few fps with live view. How do you find it compared to other Canons? 

They are a bunch of knob ends on POTN on that thread, up their own backsides expecting a £1200 camera to be better than a £3k one. One guy bought one decided he didn’t want it instead of returning carried on using for the sake of it whacking up the shutter count. I picked it up and got told off by the mods, don’t follow the thread anymore.

For a £1200 camera I find it ok. My hit rate for motorsports and rugby is higher than the 80 D it replaces so good enough for me. In live view you gain more fps, 11 as opposed to 7 in optical. Unfortunately I haven’t quite mastered tracking a 120mph racing car @300mm, camera at arms length looking at the screen.. I fear my hit rate may go down somewhat. Lol

flippancy aside, the internals/processing etc are shared with its mirrorless equivalent.. by the sounds of it the systems are more bias to mirrorless with lack of optical. There may be a firmware upgrade to improve things though to be honest I’m not loosing sleep over it.

Here’s a tricky fast moving shot with the lad in the foreground in the way, the camera did well to pick up the right player in what was frentic play.

1A0AF73A-D022-4A63-BECF-1C80182C7542.jpeg

I've stuck with the thread in the hopes that the arguments settle down and people start posting pictures and give a true account of what the camera is like to live with (much more important that pixel peeping imho). It's why my number one, go to camera is still the 7Dii. My 5Diii may capture a better image, but the 7Dii is still brilliant at tracking and knocks out 10fps all day long in AiS. If the 90D had the same tracking ability as the 7Dii i think i'd be more than tempted to get one, but for me the 'mini-1DX' is still more likely to capture what I'm after, even if the IQ is inferior to the 90D.

The pictures I've seen that have been taken with the 90D in good light, seem quite impressive :):thumbup:

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

Btw B33fy are you EMCE on PoTN? 

Lol yeh, rumbled. Don’t normally get involved in threads like that, won’t bother in future. Just a load of anal retentives being err.. anally retentive, mostly birders. 

I post mostly in the motorsports and rugby threads.

The 7D2 would interest me but on paper spec didn’t look that brilliant, it’s been around a while, old digic 6 processing, no Wi-fi or touch screen and low resolution mostly. My views may be different had I an opportunity to try one but I haven’t and I’m not going to order one just for the sake of it. I’m not a 90D fanboi, for the money it works for me, shortfalls and all.

I guess the only way to check for improvements over and above is to try for yourself. If ever you’re down Kent way, you’re more than welcome to have a bash and see what you think.

At the end of the day Amanda, you get great results out of it and I’m happy with mine, that’s what counts. If I had deep pockets I’d love to go for the forthcoming 1dx3, no doubt the anals would find something to critise though.

Edited by B33fy
  • Like 1

Yes the 7Dii does have an 'ancient' sensor, but it does have dual Digic 6 :) and a decent buffer for RAW. I like it for the autofocus tracking and live with the old design sensor. I've looked at mirrorless but so far don't like the evf's and latency in them, plus I've read their AF performance is still lacking. 

I reread your post in PoTN and agree with you. You mentioned a member was screwing with a product he didn't intend to keep and spoke your mind that he was being unfair. He suddenly defended his position by saying 'well I might keep it after all' as if that justified his early statement???? He clearly said he was returning it and you pointed out he should do just that. It's just like buying clothes, wearing them to a night out and deliberately returning them the next day. The excuse of well I thought I might test drive them in a drunken scenario doesn't hold water with me. Now that thread has turned into 'my dad's bigger than your's' I'm just visiting it to see what the posted images look like. 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

Thanks Amanda, didn’t realise dual processing made a huge difference. The buffer didn’t seem that much bigger, though in practice I guess every little helps. It is small on 80/90D especially for the rugby when one of the players decides to run the length of the field and score, you can guess when the bloody buffer is full!! Lol. Just have to time it a bit better.

I was toying with getting  a 300mb card but they a silly money and would they really make a huge difference, your view on that would be appreciated.

I’m currently working with a couple of pro’s to improve my skills one is a mirrorless convert. The key thing for him is seeing the actual results in real time without taking his eye from the viewfinder, enabling him to make minute adjustments quickly.

I’m hopefully retiring in June next year, might treat myself to a top end camera, though I’ll see how Canon do with their mirrorless cameras before making the jump. Current favourite is staying with DSLR and going 1dx3. Though if canon bring out an equivalent mirrorless version that might sway me.

I think the 7Dii with it's significantly smaller file sizes helps to clear the buffer quicker too.

I see pros at work with mirrorless Sonys and they seem to like them (they certainly love the picture quality), but as yet, Canons don't seem to cut the mustard, at least for what I want. Their Dual Pixel focus seems to be becoming an extremely good AF system, they just need to implement it better for the sorts of things I do (and you too with your cars).

The 7Dii has a similar AF system to the 1DX and can track things moving at very high speeds as well as erratic movement. It takes a while to dial in the settings you like, so as to stop the AF jumping about when you lose the subject momentarily, but it works superbly. I only wish it had a sensor like the 90D really 😞 I love it's Pro build quality too (full alu chassis and weather sealed) but Canon doesn't seem to want to replace it, so the 90D seems to be a bit of a replacement for both the 7Dii (high FPS) and the 80D (good price and great video), just in one package. 

I suspect I'll have to look seriously at the 90D in a year or so as my 7Dii will becoming to the end of it's shutter life (it has a lovely electronic shutter :)  and which makes the 5Diii sound like a spoon being stuck into an slow electric fan in comparison).

Come on Canon, crop sensors give us more reach and more pixels on target. Don't stop developing them for our DSLR 😞 

Whilst I haven’t looked closely at the Sony’s rumours of a poor menu system put me off. Bumped into a guy at Brands the other day with an A9 and 150-600 glass. 20fps. If ever there was too much spec for the purpose there it was lol If I machine gunned at 39fps, it would take me months to process the images. He did say he turns it down 10fps is more than enough.

I upgrade next year if the 90D is available I’ll give you first shout. Be nice if it went to a good home rather than MPB, not that they are more than fair, reasonable and convenient

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...