Photography Thread

Tas

37 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I find whinging about the lack of light to be my best excuse when taking action shots, that and moaning that I can't afford really fast long glass is a good one too hth :D

I found panning shots of cars to be fine in overcast conditions, as shutterspeed isn't quite so vital, but there again I have a Canon 7Dii, not known for it's noise suppression at higher ISO :D  I also found that hairpins are a great place to take a picture, as cars bunch up, or lunge up the inside for the overtake, the speed of the cars isn't too great so clean motion capture isn't an issue and you often get a great 'dab of oppo' on the exit in proper cars :) I'm guessing you know all this already though, so sorry if it comes across as teaching granny how to suck eggs. 

Edited by mrcrow

27 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I find whinging about the lack of light to be my best excuse when taking action shots, that and moaning that I can't afford really fast long glass is a good one too hth :D

I found panning shots of cars to be fine in overcast conditions, as shutterspeed isn't quite so vital, but there again I have a Canon 7Dii, not known for it's noise suppression at higher ISO :D  I also found that hairpins are a great place to take a picture, as cars bunch up, or lunge up the inside for the overtake, the speed of the cars isn't too great so clean motion capture isn't an issue and you often get a great 'dab of oppo' on the exit in proper cars :) I'm guessing you know all this already though, so sorry if it comes across as teaching granny how to suck eggs. 

when shooting motorbikes its good to see on a pan the wheels in blur

and head on shots with a long lens and wide open are also best..isle of man TT 1963...photos from internet

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTN16lG-E_L-NTDFA5V364

Screenshot-2017-06-01-at-11.33.45.jpg

• Like 1

Nice one Amanda. I have gone onto manual settings with single point focus in centre of screen using AI servo. might have a go at back button focusing to stop the camera from refocusing on trackside furniture etc. and moving the focus point around. Brands have put up silly high fencing so photo ops are tricky, its upset a lot of those that go along. I'm 6'4 and use a hop up so a bit easier for me, all part of the challenge.

That snap was Knockhill and I am pretty sure I just used Av with Ai-servo and either centre point or perhaps expanded centre group focus. You can get quite close to the track there and good sight lines. 

20110902-IMG_7888.jpg

• Like 2

I like to shoot water-sport (waits for mickey taking   ) as you can get a great result with a fast shutter speed as the water spray does a lot of the hard work for you in giving the image dynamism :)

26751973783_a28eca0fc6_b.jpgF2 race Carr Mill Dam  (73 of 95) by Amanda, on Flickr

But sometimes blur looks great too (sorry about the crappy copy-write thing, just someone was using it on their website and hadn't bothered to ask me first) 

37623787521_9f1c365d42_b.jpgRother Valley-F4 Powerboat by Amanda, on Flickr

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mrcrow said:

thats cool....are the tracks good for that low front end..?

there is an opie oils depot near me

cheers

geof

35033224896_503132e0ee_o.jpgCHAT11H by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

just practicing on this one...:D

:thumbup:

The kerbs on the corners that are an issue :D 

6118648974_61626d7e08_b.jpgKnockhill Touring Car Meet by Amanda, on Flickr

6118081605_6142b5af6c_b.jpgKnockhill Touring Car Meet by Amanda, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

I was a shade high with the shutterspeed, but the angle of the bike still gives it a certain dynamic look I think :) 

Silverstone MotoGP 2015 (34 of 72).jpg

that is terrific.....bikes always show just what the extremes can be on cornering...modern tyre compounds and the mooneyes approach to leaving the saddle...john cooper

full_844AAEC6-FC14-72E2-21C9D866B106CB12

Edited by mrcrow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

The kerbs on the corners that are an issue :D 

6118648974_61626d7e08_b.jpgKnockhill Touring Car Meet by Amanda, on Flickr

6118081605_6142b5af6c_b.jpgKnockhill Touring Car Meet by Amanda, on Flickr

Nothing wrong with a big red sausage round the bend ;) lol, adds to the action when they hit it hard. lol

Big one round Nelson at Snetterton, good for cars on the **** when they hit it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, B33fy said:

Some from today at Brands Hatch..

42304147190_2fd3934c81_z.jpg

super shots...all the ones on here...recently

this however is more than a record shot...its photographical mainly for composition

reading left to right...good

upwards diagonal..better..up is positive down is negative

multi coloured parallel oof backround holds the frame together..nothing sneaking in to distract

subject positioned in a dynamic position...suggesting movement...ie not in centre and obviously so..moving lert to right....ACE!

Edited by mrcrow
  • Like 1

Thanks Geof, a tricky shot, really slow shutter speed so sharpness on the car a bit hit and miss. Many a dodgy background has spoilt a good shot, I do spend a fair bit of time looking at the potential composition as a whole. My only criticism with this shot is I could have picked a more interesting car lol. Always next time.

Another here..

BBA1D22E-1EEE-457A-92E3-A982F3873198.jpeg

13 minutes ago, B33fy said:

Thanks Geof, a tricky shot, really slow shutter speed so sharpness on the car a bit hit and miss. Many a dodgy background has spoilt a good shot, I do spend a fair bit of time looking at the potential composition as a whole. My only criticism with this shot is I could have picked a more interesting car lol. Always next time.

Another here..

BBA1D22E-1EEE-457A-92E3-A982F3873198.jpeg

Good...a real photographer 

it’s the whole image and not what your eye sees!

cheers

geof

• Like 1

David & Kate Grant took themselves & their children off around the world in a horse drawn caravan 1990-1997.  There is a book by David Grant. Seven year hitch.

I spotted the Caravan yesterday near Balintore Castle. 

DSCN4289.JPG

DSCN4281.JPG

DSCN4279.JPG

Edited by Offski
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Offski said:

David & Kate Grant took themselves & their children off around the world in a horse drawn caravan 1990-1997.  There is a book by David Grant. Seven year hitch.

I spotted the Caravan yesterday near Balintore Castle. 

DSCN4289.JPG

DSCN4281.JPG

DSCN4279.JPG

Here’s tae us, wha’s like us?   Damn few an they’re a deid 

Edited by mrcrow
  • Like 1