Photography Thread

Tas

2 hours ago, mrcrow said:

Are you meaning lightroom or similar...or other?

Perhaps when I look at smugmug things may be clearer

Cheers

GEOF

Yes, I just tend to use lightroom. Although there's no specific B&W control, you just click on B&W then play with luminance / saturation of the colours to alter the B&W version :)

Also, Smugmug creates its own high quality down-sized versions of all the photos and don't destroy the quality very much at all. Compared to Facebook which just kills everything with its crappy jpeg compression.

3 hours ago, Xavier said:

Yes, I just tend to use lightroom. Although there's no specific B&W control, you just click on B&W then play with luminance / saturation of the colours to alter the B&W version :)

Also, Smugmug creates its own high quality down-sized versions of all the photos and don't destroy the quality very much at all. Compared to Facebook which just kills everything with its crappy jpeg compression.

yes i have been advised lightroom is a better approach to black to white conversion giving more control

i had the elements 2 plugin nik-efex but lost it in a crash..:blink:hardware that is not my beloved level 3 fabia...so LR is the one i now use

regarding converting raw data to transmittable images...it will always be a problem i think since compression is going to take place at some time

i think my flikr images look better on my ipad air 2 rather than my laptop

but the beauty is in the eye of the beholder

at least i dont have to change film after 36 shots and hope at least 25% will be ok...and then scan the negs...just to end up with a jpeg anyway..

Re: lightroom 2...the one i have...i think the adjustment for sharpening is pretty good and quite sensitive...

good for chaps like me with kit lenses and auto focus used normally...the manual ring is a fiddly bit at the front of the zoom

cheers

geof

Edited by mrcrow

4 hours ago, Offski said:

The Iron Kirk @ Pearsie in the Angus Glens.

quite a neat little but and ben...i can guess this might be episcopal or the wee free..there used to be fower..:x

the shots might have looked better without the bike though...it dates it a bit more current

cheers

geof

10 hours ago, mrcrow said:

My bad...ytpwo

bw was what I meant

will check out that site....I lost loads when one site I was using disappeared 

land thanks for the link

cheers

geof

sorry...not for me but thanks...you smugmug

all the hammers in my tool kit have teeth marks...:rofl:

hamachewa..get it

i did club work for many years ...that was to learn composition ...which is the calming effect of any image...get that right and you get everything right...in this country we read left to right...so....??...why not in our photographs

my tips are dont let your camera format control your image format, and the focus zone in the middle is just for manufacture..not where to place the subject..focus then recompose...same with light readings

hope to get going again though and show how many mistakes i can make

crop and clone..first steps

cheers

geof

• Like 1

Bit the bullet and ordered a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens. Will be using it with a cropped sensor 760D. Hoping it will improve the image quality considerably. At the DTM Sunday, so fingers crossed for some good results.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, B33fy said:

Bit the bullet and ordered a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens. Will be using it with a cropped sensor 760D. Hoping it will improve the image quality considerably. At the DTM Sunday, so fingers crossed for some good results.

Decent lens I'd imagine
where did you order it from as a matter of interest?

6 hours ago, vectra1 said:

Decent lens I'd imagine
where did you order it from as a matter of interest?

Off the Bay, as new condition, no quibble return etc.. Quite excited lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, B33fy said:

Off the Bay, as new condition, no quibble return etc.. Quite excited lol

Very good,

I have bought quite a bit of stuff from E-Infinity,
Fantastic prices/delivery etc.

Bet you are like a child waiting for their birthday to come :tongueout:

Edited by vectra1

11 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I wondered about ape too :D "you're mad for it, you!" 

Must be the tree thing..

Theres a club meet at Brands tomorrow, the bug has bitten badly so heading up there again, the objective is more panning practice and to get shots that tell a better story rather than just a car.. I took the DTM ones during qualy so less wheel to wheel stuff. I’ll concentrate more on the racing action tomorrow. Constructive feedback always welcome.

I find whinging about the lack of light to be my best excuse when taking action shots, that and moaning that I can't afford really fast long glass is a good one too hth :D

I found panning shots of cars to be fine in overcast conditions, as shutterspeed isn't quite so vital, but there again I have a Canon 7Dii, not known for it's noise suppression at higher ISO :D  I also found that hairpins are a great place to take a picture, as cars bunch up, or lunge up the inside for the overtake, the speed of the cars isn't too great so clean motion capture isn't an issue and you often get a great 'dab of oppo' on the exit in proper cars :) I'm guessing you know all this already though, so sorry if it comes across as teaching granny how to suck eggs. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, B33fy said:

Cheers Geof.  ape??..

I got that wrong

should be chimpanzee..which is a great ape anyway...

and climbs in trees

ah don’t mind me..I am Scottish...:handshake:

cheers

mc crow