Need help with the Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI

I've seen this fault many times when the case pressure relief valve comes apart in the fuel pump. This prevents the pump pulling in the timing dynamically. It's easy to fix without removing the pump from the car.

The .pdf link for the file appears to be duff as I can't get it to open - states 'there was a problem reading this document (109)'

Dan

• 2 years later...

Hi dashi..

I'm undergoing the same exact problem with my octi..

Did the pressure valve repair solved the problem??

I'm very tensed.. the car is letting out black smoke too!!

Hi Jasneet, you may recognise my username from upthread. Yes, still the same guy,

If you've got black smoke, that normally indicates that a diesel is over-fuelling.

The most likely (and cheapest to fix) cause of this is a blown joint in the high pressure (HP) pipework, which leads from the turbocharger behind the engine round the right side of the engine and down to the intercooler in the front edge of the right wheelarch, and then back up to the intake manifold.

If the RH lower grille or front wheelarch liner is missing, then the intercooler itself may be damaged. Easy checks, DIY in 5 minutes.

Finally, you could have worn injectors or a bad remap, but diagnosing those over the internet is probably impossible.

Thanks for the instant reply :) :)

Just 4 months ago, the intercooler and turbo was serviced as the car was failing the pollution test! After cleaning both, it was just 0.2 under the max pollution level.. :(

Intercooler and turbo werr absolutely fine. There was a small leak in intercooler which used to make hissing sound on acceleration (still it is hissing lil bit), but as per the service station guy, he told that it's alright nothing to worry about.

Now I'm planning to change the MAF sensor. Found it faulty.. (How much did it cost?)

This problem started when my battery went dead. Many times i started the car in-gear. This could probably the main reason for what-all is happening :(

Any leaks in the turbo/intercooler pipework will cause a problem with unburnt fuel, hence your black smoke & emissions issues.

If you change the MAF use a genuine VAG part as aftermarket MAF's rarely work properly.

Edited by pauldazzle

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I have the similar issue with my octi LnK 2005. The problem is that it struggles to touch 100kmph even if I push the accelerator to its max car doesnt cross 100kmph. By the engine sounds it feels that its trying to add power but that isn't happening. I got the EGR cleaned yesterday (ot was in a very bad condition) but that too did not make any difference.

Please suggest what shall I do

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Suggest start with a new thread telling us what you have done in terms of investigations.

However to get the ball rolling - have the car scanned for fault codes.  Check for vacuum leaks.  Check the actuator on the turbo moves freely.  Have the MAF, MAP, CTS or n75 been changed?  As the inlet manifold cleaned as well as the EGR assembly?

• Like 2

Suggest start with a new thread telling us what you have done in terms of investigations.

However to get the ball rolling - have the car scanned for fault codes. Check for vacuum leaks. Check the actuator on the turbo moves freely. Have the MAF, MAP, CTS or n75 been changed? As the inlet manifold cleaned as well as the EGR assembly?

thanks for the revert mate… I'll be going to Skoda service station today to get it scanned… earlier I got it done from Bosch service center and they told that there arnt any error codes… will get back to with the reports…

Edited by kanu1and

Obvious problem is usually sticking turbo veins.

A much easier and cheaper thing to check is your vacuum lines, they are all the small black braided lines running around the engine bay. Check through each of these for any frayed or damaged bits. 

• Like 1

Obvious problem is usually sticking turbo veins.

A much easier and cheaper thing to check is your vacuum lines, they are all the small black braided lines running around the engine bay. Check through each of these for any frayed or damaged bits.

I got all the lines checked 2 days ago. Replaced one as well. But that too did not fix the issue :(

Today I got Emissions Workshop message as well with the engine light… I got this message a month ago as well… the service center guy replaced the timing belt and cleaned the intercooler… and it came back today :(

Today I got Emissions Workshop message as well with the engine light… I got this message a month ago as well… the service center guy replaced the timing belt and cleaned the intercooler… and it came back today :(

There will be a fault code logged if the EML is on.

err why did he replace the timing belt and intercooler? Seems a bit weird, and unlikely that the IC would be damaged. Same with Timing Belt, it is something worth replacing yes, but I don't know that it would cause your current issues.

• Like 1

Yes… even I asked the guy the same thing as I too thought that timing belt has nothing to do with this issue… day before yesterday he told me that cleaning EGR would fix the issue (car doent go beyond 100kmph, engine makes noise but there is no acceleration)

Now after cleaning that the issue still persists and today emissions workshop message with Engine light showed up. Now he says that me might have to open the engine head and see if there is any issue with it… which again sounds weird

Guys do you think adding injector cleaner to the diesel might help in acceleration part? (This is another suggestion bosch guy made) please advise

Edited by kanu1and

I would take the car elsewhere. 

I am by no means a qualified mechanic but do work on my own car and cannot see how anyone would think a timing belt could help here.

Opening the head up?! That seems ridiculous. There are lots of various little thing that could cause the issue you are having. Have a search around on here is my advice. Things to try -

-Unplug MAF to see if thats faulty

-manifold need a clean?

-all vac lines okay? (including one way check valve)

-are all intercooler hoses still attached and in one piece?

etc...etc...etc

Yes guys. I dont understand. I mean its a bosch service center and I thought they will be competent enough.

Anyways, I got my octi scanned for errors. It showed one for MAF open circuit. He reconnected the MAF and cleared the error. Checked the vacuum hoses and said they are fine. Said turbo is okay as well.

But it still doesnt have that push of acceleration on pressing the accelerator…

Edited by kanu1and

You can't rely on fault codes as the are some engine sensors can develop faults which won't cause the ECU to throw a code. MAF & Coolant temp sensors are good examples, as the ECU will only throw a code if they go open circuit or short to ground.

You really need someone with VCDS/Vagcom to look in engine measuring blocks, & do some live logs, i.e. boost requested & boost actual, MAF flow, engine temps,etc.

Have a look in the VCDS section of this forum & see if there's a member close to you who maybe able to help you out.

Edited by pauldazzle