Oil advice and recommendations here!!

oilman

• Sponsor

Hello all,

I see many oil related threads popping up from time to time, so I thought I would start a thread dedicated to this toppic, hopefully in time it will become an FAQ as it relates to all of us.

If you have any questions, queries or thoughts, post away.

I will do my best to answere any questions and will give the best possible, profesional advice that I can.

Hopefully the mods will make it a sticky??

Cheers

Guy. :thumbup:

• Sponsor

Good good.

There is something happening in the oil world though! they are currently developing and should be available soon 1 oil to meet all the VW codes, so a one stop shop saving the hassle of figuring out what oil is for what.

I will keep you posted on the developments.

Cheers

Guy.

Good idea! i'm going crazy trying to understand it all.

Do you know where i could find details of what 505 00 (for example) actually means? i.e documents, specifications. more just for interest i suppose. and whats the difference between 505 00 and 505 01?

• Sponsor

What do you mean by higher API? You can't get higher than SL.

Why would I recommend Millers when I can't supply it.

I supply 6 brands already.

Castrol, Mobil, Fuchs, Silkolene, Total and Motul - it's more than enough for me.

Cheers

Guy

Millers were one of the first companies to comply and recieve full VW approval for its specific oil applications (variable service life)........................

Simon/Guy/ whatever hes called on this forum doesn't recomend them...........???

Millers were one of the first companies to comply and recieve full VW approval for its specific oil applications (variable service life)........................

Simon/Guy/ whatever hes called on this forum doesn't recomend them...........???

I understand that Simon is Guy's brother. They split posting on different forums between them. Guy has already explained why he doesn't recommend Millers.

sorry, maybe i didn't express my post very well...........................what i meant was that you don't have to sell something to have an opinion on it, or am i missing the point here??

they obviously have a large range at their disposal, but recently decided that Motul was a brand to add after some negative feedback on other forums.................

merely a passing comment, as Simon will know due to our conversations on other oil threads..............

• Sponsor

We added Motul due to results of chemical testing and it proved to be very good quality, the only one we had come accross with a similar quality to the Silkolene.

We could stock Millers and recomend them, however most of the oils are no good to us, and why stock just the VW apporved spec ones when we already supply and stock the ones used on factory fill.

Cheers

Guy.

What do you mean by higher API? You can't get higher than SL.

Why would I recommend Millers when I can't supply it.

I supply 6 brands already.

Castrol' date=' Mobil, Fuchs, Silkolene, Total and Motul - it's more than enough for me.

Cheers

Guy[/quote']

I got a Deisel Engine and you told us S? was petrol and C? was for Deisel on the API rating and Millers VW505.01 oil is CH4 and all others i seen are only CF so the Millers has a higher API rating? but its only a semi Synthetic

so what does the API ratings mean?

• Sponsor

Here you go!

API = American Petroleum Institute

S = Service - Petrol Engine Performance

C = Commercisl - Diesel Engine Performance

PETROL

SG - Introduced 1989 has much more active dispersant to combat black sludge.

SH - Introduced 1993 has same engine tests as SG, but includes phosphorus limit 0.12%, together with control of foam, volatility and shear stability.

SJ - Introduced 1996 has the same engine tests as SG/SH, but phosphorus limit 0.10% together with variation on volatility limits

SL - Introduced 2001, all new engine tests reflective of modern engine designs meeting current emmissions standards

DIESEL

CD - Introduced 1955, international standard for turbo diesel engine oils for many years, uses single cylinder test engine only

CE - Introduced 1984, improved control of oil consumption, oil thickening, piston deposits an wear, uses additional multi cylinder test engines

CF4 - Introduced 1990, further improvements in control of oil consumption and piston deposits, uses low emmission test engine

CF - Introduced 1994, modernised version of CD, reverts to single cylinder low emission test engine. Intended for certain indirect injection engines

CF2 - Introduced 1994, defines effective control of cylinder deposits and ring face scuffing, intended for 2 stroke diesel engines

CG4 - Introduced 1994, development of CF4 giving improved control of piston deposits, wear, oxidation stability and soot entrainment. Uses low sulphur diesel fuel in engine tests

CH4 - Introduced 1998, development of CG4, giving further improvements in control of soot related wear and piston deposits, uses more comprehensive engine test program to include low and high sulphur fuelsSG - Introduced 1989 has much more active dispersant to combat black sludge.

One point about API specifications.

API specifications are minimum specifications for oils. They exist for your safety so that you have reasonable assurance that an oil will "adequately" protect your engine. However, these are not, by any means, a standard by which you could determine whether an oil was good or not. As an example, you'll find that even a cheap oil which costs next to nothing will most likely carry the API SL rating. That should tell you something about how hard it is to attain that rating.

Cheers

Simon

I take it then that this Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 0w-30 (VW502.00 505.00 503.01)

Is the oil i should use for best protection for my remapped Occy VRS, which will be changed every 6 months, or 5000 miles? I have changed my order in the group buy from the LL version as i am not going to run variable servicing.

As an example' date=' you'll find that even a cheap oil which costs next to nothing will most likely carry the API SL rating. That should tell you something about how hard it is to attain that rating.

[/quote']

Do you think that's the reason VW (and a few other manufacturers) have developed their own standards, or is there some other reason?

• Sponsor
Do you think that's the reason VW (and a few other manufacturers) have developed their own standards, or is there some other reason?

Most definately part of the reason. VAG are hot on quality control and are much more advanced than most OEM's when it comes to oils. All their oils are developed in partnership with Fuchs who are about to release oils meeting the new VW 504.00 and 507.00 which will replace and consolidate the number of codes, making selection easier.

See the consolidation into one all embracing product attached to this post (available soon in the UK but date TBA).

Cheers

Simon

TitanGTI15w-30.pdf

• Sponsor
I take it then that this Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 0w-30 (VW502.00 505.00 503.01)

Is the oil i should use for best protection for my remapped Occy VRS' date=' which will be changed every 6 months, or 5000 miles? I have changed my order in the group buy from the LL version as i am not going to run variable servicing.[/quote']

Spot on :thumbup:

Cheers

Guy.

i checked my oil today and it appears to have a creamy lookin substance on the dipstick i wiped it off and put the dipstick back in and puled it out again and some more was on there it doesn,t appear to be in the oil just 3/4 up the dipstick.it coudnt be head gasket could it?i have 20,000 miles on the clock and changed the oil about 5000 miles ago with fully syn as its been remapped its a octy vrs.thankyou all for any help :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Simon: would you object if i were to pass this useful nugget on to Freds TDI site? There is much interest (not to mention waffle) over the VAG oils!

Most definately part of the reason. VAG are hot on quality control and are much more advanced than most OEM's when it comes to oils. All their oils are developed in partnership with Fuchs who are about to release oils meeting the new VW 504.00 and 507.00 which will replace and consolidate the number of codes' date=' making selection easier.

See the consolidation into one all embracing product attached to this post (available soon in the UK but date TBA).

Cheers

Simon[/quote']

• Sponsor
Simon: would you object if i were to pass this useful nugget on to Freds TDI site? There is much interest (not to mention waffle) over the VAG oils!

Sure.

Whats the site address?? I will pop over and have a look.

Cheers

Simon.