Oil advice and recommendations here!!

oilman

Could Oilman help out here please.

I have an Octavia 2lt petrol manual car (02 reg). QG1 service schedule.

Handbook says recommended oil is to spec VW53 00; which I understand is now 0w 30.

When my car was serviced last year, the VW garage changed the engine oil and replaced it with 10w 50. They tell me that that is the oil that they use for most Volkswagen engines, including the Octavia and the Passat.

I now need to top up the engine oil; the service guy said it would be OK to top up with 0w 30. I am mystified as to why they replaced the engine oil with what I understand to be a heavier oil in the first place, assuming that the car was delivered with 0w 30 in the engine. The service guy could not remember who the manufacture was as they buy their oil in bulk.

Is he correct? is it OK to mix 10w 50 with 0w 30 or could this be detrimental to the car??

• 8 months later...

Have you any recommendations for oil for a fabia 2000 petrol elegance late 2003 ? Mainly long runs not done slowly. Ideally is there one oil that I can also put into my wife's Micra 1.0 (L reg) ?

• Sponsor
Could Oilman help out here please.

I have an Octavia 2lt petrol manual car (02 reg). QG1 service schedule.

Handbook says recommended oil is to spec VW53 00; which I understand is now 0w 30.

When my car was serviced last year, the VW garage changed the engine oil and replaced it with 10w 50. They tell me that that is the oil that they use for most Volkswagen engines, including the Octavia and the Passat.

I now need to top up the engine oil; the service guy said it would be OK to top up with 0w 30. I am mystified as to why they replaced the engine oil with what I understand to be a heavier oil in the first place, assuming that the car was delivered with 0w 30 in the engine. The service guy could not remember who the manufacture was as they buy their oil in bulk.

Is he correct? is it OK to mix 10w 50 with 0w 30 or could this be detrimental to the car??

The oil will mix, thats fine. However I am concerned about the 10w-50 if it is on longlife service. As for as I am aware there is no 10w-50 that meets either VW503.00 or 503.01. Is it still on the longlife service schedule?

Cheers

Guy.

• Sponsor
Have you any recommendations for oil for a fabia 2000 petrol elegance late 2003 ? Mainly long runs not done slowly. Ideally is there one oil that I can also put into my wife's Micra 1.0 (L reg) ?

As long as it is not a the variable service schedule then a 5w-40 synthetic would be ideal for both changed every 10,000 miles.

Cheers

Guy.

• 3 weeks later...

I notice that this thread hasn't been updated for a while and I used it to try and get the right oil at the right price for my Fabia vRS.

The following is available in 5 lt containers and priced (in Ireland) similarly to the competitions' 4 lt containers.

"Valvoline Dura Blend Diesel SAE 5W-40 formulated for direct injection diesel engines"

This oil is a synthetic blend. Specs: API:CF, ACEA: B3, VW: 505.00/505.01, Ford M2C-917-A, MB: 229.1

Cost: EURO = 45.22 inc VAT @ 21% (equivalent to GBP 30.67 inc VAT @ 17.5 %)

It seems to fit the bill. Moderators: feel free to move post if in the wrong place

Update - I just noticed that this oil is listed in the sticky - sorry.

First let me admit I'm a total dinosaur for whom, prior to joining the Tdi ranks, the pinnacle of lubrication was Castrol GTX 20/50...:o

Along with others I find this whole oil subject horribly confusing and this is coming from someone who can strip and rebuild MG engines and gearboxes, or virtually anything of the era, at the drop of a hat, with eyes shut and one hand tied behind my back :D

Onwards to my question then.

Car is late 03 Octavia Ambiente 1.9TDi - 110bhp - Belgian in origin but now residing in France.

Usage is a mix of local pottering plus fairly frequent major motorway trips and I'm happy to change oil regularly and not rely on variable servicing.

I have found a medium price 5W40 oil over here is which is branded "Optomax" and is labelled:

API SL/CF

ACEA A3/B3/B4

VW 500.00 505.05 MB 229.3

Is this OK to use for topping up and if so is it OK for complete oil changes in due course ?

Thanks in advance for humouring an old f**t :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

I need to top up the oil my Fabia VRS (05 Plate) and getting really confused. I do a lot of fairly speedy travel. Not sure if it is on a fixed or variable service interval as I haven't had car from new and no owners manual. Under the bonnet there is a sticker that recommends Shell Helix presumably only available from a Shell garage! Should I be using this or another product as I don't want anything to break :(

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Phill

I need to top up the oil my Fabia VRS (05 Plate) and getting really confused. I do a lot of fairly speedy travel. Not sure if it is on a fixed or variable service interval as I haven't had car from new and no owners manual. Under the bonnet there is a sticker that recommends Shell Helix presumably only available from a Shell garage! Should I be using this or another product as I don't want anything to break :(
Your Fabia vRS is on fixed service intervals. The correct oil is any which meets spec VW 505 01. A list of suitable oils in the 'sticky' below:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/fabia/what-engine-oil-should-i-use-my-fabia-vrs/23797/

You can order an Owner's Manual for the Fabia vRS from any Skoda dealer. The part number is S5456100420 and the price circa

I was in Halford's Kilkenny yesterday and found tins of own-brand "PD Oil" 5w40 fully-synthetic oil with VW 505.01 spec listed on the label. The label also specifies Pumpe Deuse engines. It sells for 39.99 euro for 5 litres ( 28.64 sterling roughly) Just to clarify, they have at least two 5W40 synthetic oils one in a light grey tin; the PD OIl is in a dark grey tin.

Seems very cheap. Has anyone used or tested it? :confused:

It would make for very cheap servicing to use this stuff and a filter every 5k miles. (car is on fixed service intervals)

Yes it is, although when in the shop I was skeptical at first as the big 25L container does not have the fancy triple r logo etc on it that the 1L bottle does, but on closer inspection it is the same stuff.

It has a plain label stating triple r pd 5w 40 vw 505.01, I think it is a trade container hence no fancy graphics.

I used ECP in Aldershot if it helps. Origional oil filters in a VW box are about

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Extended servicing" "Variable servicing" "Q1/Q2" ????????????

Ive not long bought a 03 Octavia TDI 110bhp with 102,000 miles. Dont like the idea of a 30,000 mile oil changes using long life oil (would this be a variable service?)

Can I change to a 10,000 mile oil change and not use long life oil without causing detrement to the engine? If so what oil should I use?

Cheers, Andy