Desire HD Battery Life

R1DAVIE

Just got my Desire HD last week and love it to bits :thumbup:

Only gripe is i seem to be charging it every night :wonder:

Am using it for a little bit of browsing during the day and downloading apps/stuff,apart from that its just the usual calls and texts.

Just want to see if this is normal for battery life on a smartphone or do i have a screwed battery :S

If you own a smartphone - get used to charging it every night! :thumbup:

Same as above. I now have 4 chargers - 1 at home, 1 in the car, 1 at work and a spare for when I'm travelling!. Was never the way with old Nokias!

At least they are mostly universal now being micro USB (apart from the iPhone!)....Blackberry, HTC, Nokia, Samsung.....Charging leads everywhere, especially when a new Angry Birds level comes out :giggle:

You can buy small plug in top up batteries and there might be some sleeves with batterys built in (there are for the Desire). Still at least you can charge the phone from your laptop/computer

Edited by Lady Elanore

You can buy small plug in top up batteries and there might be some sleeves with batterys built in (there are for the Desire). Still at least you can charge the phone from your laptop/computer

Thanks for that,i'll keep an eye out for the sleeves :thumbup:

The Desire HD (and HTC HD7 which is basically the same phone) are notorious for their poor battery life.

I was researching phones for ages, and every review i was reading of the HD7 was commenting on battery life, and comparing it against the Desire HD with the same problem.

If i use my phone as just a phone, it last days, its only when you delve into the apps that it really starts to eat the battery, but i'll take the fantastic screen over battery life :thumbup:

It helps if you turn off Bluetooth, and also turn off wi fi if you are not using it,I also believe that you need to download (app killer) for android phones,as the apps still run in the background,unlike an iPhone.

Put the screen brightness on manual and reducing it down as much as possible.

Also lower the timeout on the screen so it switches off earlier after inactivity.

Both of these can get you some extra battery life.

Adjusting the screen brightness manually

Press HOME > MENU, and then tap Settings > Sound & display.

Scroll down the screen, and then tap Brightness.

Clear the Automatic brightness check box.

Drag the brightness slider to the left to decrease or to the right to increase the screen

brightness. Tap OK.

Adjusting the time before the screen turns off

After a period of inactivity, the phone screen turns off to conserve battery power. You can set

the idle time before the screen turns off.

Press HOME > MENU, then tap Settings > Sound & display.

Scroll down the screen, and then tap Screen timeout.

Tap the time before the screen turns off.

To quickly turn off the screen, press the POWER button.

Mine lasts 2 days. I charge every other night. Wifi and 3g are on constantly so when i have no wifi i have 3g and when I'm on wifi 3g is off. My Bluetooth is on whenever I'm in the car. I use mine heavily and my screen is on auto. I’ve got 3 email accounts on push.

Mine is rooted with custom Kernel and auto brightness values. Before this I charged every night and sometimes during the day to top up. I even bought a spare battery, which is no longer used.

So root it and you’ll get better battery or live with it. As said you get a smart phone to be smart and with a screen that big its going to use some juice.

Depends on what I'm doing. If it's my day off then I hardly use it and it will last two days. When I'm in work delivering (when i'm passenger) and always checking up on Facebook, Twitter and other Internet stuff it lasts about a day. Got into a routine of having it fully charged before I go anywhere, give it a quick 15min charge on my lunch break then a full charge again when I get home. When I'm in the car and it's under half battery I stick it on the charger.

It helps if you turn off Bluetooth, and also turn off wi fi if you are not using it,I also believe that you need to download (app killer) for android phones,as the apps still run in the background,unlike an iPhone.

You dont need to turn wifi off on Android as it sleeps when no in use.

I have a htc trophy and that seems to need charging twice a day for light use [ie. a few txt and check for email every 2 hours] :-( Screen on half brightness with wifi and BT enabled. Pretty rubbish really.

Root it and install a custom rom - I use CM7 and it has improved the battery life (and the phone ;) )

Mine lasts 2 days. I charge every other night. Wifi and 3g are on constantly so when i have no wifi i have 3g and when I'm on wifi 3g is off. My Bluetooth is on whenever I'm in the car. I use mine heavily and my screen is on auto. I’ve got 3 email accounts on push.

Mine is rooted with custom Kernel and auto brightness values. Before this I charged every night and sometimes during the day to top up. I even bought a spare battery, which is no longer used.

So root it and you’ll get better battery or live with it. As said you get a smart phone to be smart and with a screen that big its going to use some juice.

How do you "root" your phone and install a custom rom?

Just its something i've never heard of or had to do

Thanks

Davie

I've a HTC Desire and I've found that the following guide works for increasing the battery life;

"An odd battery charging technique involving charging the phone, turning it off and charging it a bit more apparently boosts the Desire’s battery capacity by a huge amount. Sounds crazy and we don’t really believe it, but many, many people are saying the battery charging trick works – and can DOUBLE the uptime of the famous Android phone.

So here’s HTC’s advice on how to enhance your Desire’s battery, taken from an old XDA forum thread that’s recently taken off again:

“To also help with Battery Life you can do these steps exactly:

1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more

2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour

3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour. Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as wellâ€

Don't ask me how it actually works as I didn't believe it when I first read it but it seems to 'erase' the battery memory? (possibly). Try it, it actually did the job for me and I can now go 1.5-2 days between charges. My phone is not rooted.

When I'm out and about I take one of these with me;

http://www.powerbee.co.uk/Solar-Phone-Chargers/Powerpod-Executive-Solar-Phone-Charger/p-84-383/

I can get almost 3 whole charges out of this before it dies. Best bit is - leave it on the dashboard of the car for a few hours and it charges itself ;)

Cheers

Trilogy

Edited by Trilogy2k

How do you "root" your phone and install a custom rom?

Just its something i've never heard of or had to do

Thanks

Davie

This link tells you how to root it. You also need to do this. It doesn't take very long to do, if you do some research first it helps you to understand what your doing and what to do if anything goes wrong.

Bear in mind it does void your warranty but its easy enough to revert back to stock.

As far as custom ROM's go there is a heap of them to choose. I use LeeDroid. Its a case of once your ROOTED download the zip file and flash it.

I've a HTC Desire and I've found that the following guide works for increasing the battery life;

"An odd battery charging technique involving charging the phone, turning it off and charging it a bit more apparently boosts the Desire’s battery capacity by a huge amount. Sounds crazy and we don’t really believe it, but many, many people are saying the battery charging trick works – and can DOUBLE the uptime of the famous Android phone.

So here’s HTC’s advice on how to enhance your Desire’s battery, taken from an old XDA forum thread that’s recently taken off again:

“To also help with Battery Life you can do these steps exactly:

1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more

2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour

3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour. Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as wellâ€

Don't ask me how it actually works as I didn't believe it when I first read it but it seems to 'erase' the battery memory? (possibly). Try it, it actually did the job for me and I can now go 1.5-2 days between charges. My phone is not rooted.

When I'm out and about I take one of these with me;

http://www.powerbee.co.uk/Solar-Phone-Chargers/Powerpod-Executive-Solar-Phone-Charger/p-84-383/

I can get almost 3 whole charges out of this before it dies. Best bit is - leave it on the dashboard of the car for a few hours and it charges itself ;)

Cheers

Trilogy

This is "bump charging" and isn't very good long term. See here.

LG Optimus 2X isn't much better. At least that's using dual core power. Fantastic phone but battery is usually on 30% when I get home. Take it off charge at 6.15am, get home at 6:00pm that is.

I believe Gingerbread gives slightly better battery life too.