Detailing.

Wanting to take advantage of my nice paintwork so currently reading a lot about detailing. I dont have a huge budget so was thinking:

Meguiars Clay Bar

Autoglym Super Resin Polish

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Wax or Zymol Carbon

Does anyone have any experience with these products and if so please share?

Also I have been reading up about applying the hard wax by hand, this is apparently a bit of a gimmick, has anyone tried this and if so if there any benefit over and above an applicator pad?

Cheers in advance,

Danny

For a relatively budget set-up it sounds good enough. :thumbup:

I would say though, save your cash and don't bother with the expensive waxes.

I bought some Raceglaze 42 (approx. £50) when our new Octavia arived as I wanted a more 'special' wax than what I had been using.

A detailer mate came round to protect the interior for me while I sorted the exterior and as a test he applied some Zymol Carbon to the rear quarter and some Blackfire Midnight sun to half of the bonnet while I applied Collinite 476 to the middle of the bonnet and the Raceglaze to the rest of the car.

To my eye there is zero difference in looks between all of the waxes. And after a month there is still no difference in beading or performance between them.

Save your cash and get some Collinite 476 for £15- just as good and probably more durable than the more expensive waxes :thumbup:

i use:

meguirs gold class shampoo.

meguirs clay bar kit (either the stock quick detailer or the meguirs NXT gen speed detailer for lub)

autoglym super resin polish

meguirs nxt gen 2.0 wax

i highly rate all of the above.

would also consider the autoglym HD wax as an option as ive seen and heard good things.

Thanks for the feedback guys, after speaking to a detailer friend of mine, Im giving the dodo juice blue velvet a go as hes getting me a sample tub (30ml)..apparently it gives a much deeper shine than the AGHD as its designed for darker colours (and has a tint in it) where at the AGHD is designed for all colours. Both great but will get some pics up onces i've done the above...will soon see eh lol. :thumbup:

I'd strongly recommend some Chemical Guys EZ creme glaze with acrylic II which you apply before the wax, it'll further enhance the depth and also and this is why I bought it, has some anti static abilities so it repels dust (I live down a farm track so dust is a major issue for me).

Everybody has their personal preference and waxes do differ in application, effect and longevity. Although some of the Dodo range is a 'coloured' wax' it in no way makes it unsuitable for other colours.

My routine is: snowfoam as a when necessary (Valet Pro), rinse, wash (using a Meguiars lambswool wash mitt and Chemical Guys shampoo), rinse, clay (Sonus Green ultra fine and Sonus lube), wash, rinse, dry (Uber drying towel), Glaze (CG EZ creme (above), seal (Carlack 68 NSC), wax x 2 or 3 coats.

That's for summer and I have a variety of waxes that use depending what look and longevity I am after, if I had to choose a favourite wax it'd be Victoria Concours which I apply by hand rather than applicator

In winter I use either FinishKare 1000p or Colinite 476S wax for super longevity, fine protection and great beading.

Probably comes as no surprise that I use ONLY the finest "Happy Shopper" washing-up liquid and a scourer so that I get those guaranteed "camouflage" streaks. Seriously though, anything more than washing and rinsing is over my head, but there's a forum somewhere here for you guys who like to lather up and get anal talking about your cosmetics. :D They should be able to help too...

I'd strongly recommend some Chemical Guys EZ creme glaze with acrylic II which you apply before the wax, it'll further enhance the depth and also and this is why I bought it, has some anti static abilities so it repels dust (I live down a farm track so dust is a major issue for me).

Everybody has their personal preference and waxes do differ in application, effect and longevity. Although some of the Dodo range is a 'coloured' wax' it in no way makes it unsuitable for other colours.

My routine is: snowfoam as a when necessary (Valet Pro), rinse, wash (using a Meguiars lambswool wash mitt and Chemical Guys shampoo), rinse, clay (Sonus Green ultra fine and Sonus lube), wash, rinse, dry (Uber drying towel), Glaze (CG EZ creme (above), seal (Carlack 68 NSC), wax x 2 or 3 coats.

That's for summer and I have a variety of waxes that use depending what look and longevity I am after, if I had to choose a favourite wax it'd be Victoria Concours which I apply by hand rather than applicator

In winter I use either FinishKare 1000p or Colinite 476S wax for super longevity, fine protection and great beading.

interesting, I may have a look at that ez cream glaze too... guessin ive opened a can of worms here, as a lot of it is down to personal opinion and preference for everyone.

Thanks for the feedback though :) - some useful info.

Probably comes as no surprise that I use ONLY the finest "Happy Shopper" washing-up liquid and a scourer so that I get those guaranteed "camouflage" streaks. Seriously though, anything more than washing and rinsing is over my head, but there's a forum somewhere here for you guys who like to lather up and get anal talking about your cosmetics. :D They should be able to help too...

lol detailers world???

you know its also good for prolongin paint, so keeps rust at bay and what not... :)

Last weekends work on my wifes new van, applied as follows:

Halfords basic shampoo

Meguiars Clay Bar

Autoglym Intensive tar remover

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

Zymol wax

Result B)

Boris.jpg

guessin ive opened a can of worms here, as a lot of it is down to personal opinion and preference for everyone.

You've hit the nail on the head there I think.

It's very easy to get swept up in reviews on Detailing World and think X,Y or Z is the best product and you must have it (I've got a few hundred quids worth of stuff in my garage to prove that).

The point I was trying to make was that to you or I, (i.e someone who does know about swirls and holograms and really cares for their car but just does it as a hobby) there really isn't any discernable difference between the proven low cost durable waxes at £15 a tin (Collinite) and the low-end 'premium' waxes at £50-ish quid a pop.

There was even a wax test on DW a few years back where Dave KG and some others prepped 6 or 8 identical black brand new Corsas and waxed them with everything from £10 waxes to £1000 waxes.

DW members then attended a meet and judged the appearance of each one without knowing which wax was on it.

I can't remember what won but I do remember that there was very little difference between the best and the worst with lots of people unable to pick differences. The most expensive waxes did not come top and the cheapest did not come bottom.

In my head I really knew that buying a £50 wax wasn't going to make much of a difference over the Colly I already had but I did expect a slight improvement and most of all I erally wanted to 'treat' the new car. In hindsight I wouldn't bother so I thought I'd give you a heads up if money could be better spent on something else :thumbup:

Last weekends work on my wifes new van, applied as follows:

Halfords basic shampoo

Meguiars Clay Bar

Autoglym Intensive tar remover

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

Zymol wax

In that order? :wonder:

In that order? :wonder:

Yes, but a day and a rinse between the gloss protection and the wax to allow it to cure. Did not see much point in putting a semi-perminant protection on top of a less perminant wax. Really the wax was overkill. Probably could have done the clay bar and the tar remover before the polish, but it was only after the polish I noitced how bad the bottom panels were.

No doubt someone will disagree with the above, but works for me.

Yes, but a day and a rinse between the gloss protection and the wax to allow it to cure. Did not see much point in putting a semi-perminant protection on top of a less perminant wax. Really the wax was overkill. Probably could have done the clay bar and the tar remover before the polish, but it was only after the polish I noitced how bad the bottom panels were.

No doubt someone will disagree with the above, but works for me.

Gotcha, it was the clay and tar remover after the polish that made me raise my eyebrows but if you only did that on the lower panels and not all over the van then it's not doing much harm.

I'd have done the wax after the EGP too if I was doing both- whether you need both is another discussion as you mentioned :yes:

Dont take this the wrong way, I'm not being pedantic, it seems you're starting to get into the detailing thing, so I've included some pointers I think may help here.

The megs clay bar is super easy to use, just remember to keep it lubed up and you should be fine. Not so sure on the price though. Clay bars could be had for less money if you buy a few things online. Bear in mind, clay removes all the layers of protectant you've applied on the car too as it strips contaminants and everything else with it so dont use it every time you wash the car, it'll be a wasted economy. Plus you dont need to use the whole bar in one go. Cut it up into strips.

Autoglym SRP is great but it isnt really a polish, there's next to no abrasive agents in it.

Saying that, it is good though, and is full of fillers which is why it appears as if you've removed your scratches. Be wary though, as soon as you wash it again, the fillers would be removed and you'd have to apply it all over again. I'm not sure if applying a layer of wax would remove it too though.

I've got a panel pot of dodo supernatural and the stuff is really good but not cheap. I also use natty's paste wax too and at £13 a big tub, it's great value for money and gives a great finish to my corrida red paint, it doesnt last so long though so given the choice I'd opt for collinite 476 which lasts forever, or fk1000p. I've not tried Autoglym HD so I cant comment, but I've only heard great things about it. Wax though is a very subjective can of worms. If I wanted to splurge out cash, I'd probably get a pot of dodo for around £30 for the summer months and then collinite for the winter months.

If you fancy a quicker easier job than laborious waxing, and buffing, then it's worth considering spray sealants. The stuff I've used before is Jeff's Werkstatt Acrylic sealant. It's amazing and literally spray on and rub into the paintwork. Give it about 30mins between layers and the finish is great. Dont be stupid like me though and use too much of it, one spray per panel is enough, I was overly zealous with the application and I just wasted the product. It aint cheap though and undeniably a pot of wax would last much longer.

I start with a traffic film remover, then wash with meguairs gold class, rinse, dry then de tar with tardis and then clay with Bilt Hamber soft clay. Then put a coat of Bilt Hamber Auto Balm on followed by a coat of Collinite 476. Good for a few months then.

If you fancy a quicker easier job than laborious waxing, and buffing, then it's worth considering spray sealants. The stuff I've used before is Jeff's Werkstatt Acrylic sealant. It's amazing and literally spray on and rub into the paintwork. Give it about 30mins between layers and the finish is great. Dont be stupid like me though and use too much of it, one spray per panel is enough, I was overly zealous with the application and I just wasted the product. It aint cheap though and undeniably a pot of wax would last much longer.

+ 1 on the Werkstatt sealant. Very easy to use and don't have to worry about overspray on trim. Just a couple of layers gives my race blue vRS a really sharp, defined look :thumbup:

+ 1 on the Werkstatt sealant. Very easy to use and don't have to worry about overspray on trim. Just a couple of layers gives my race blue vRS a really sharp, defined look :thumbup:

A cheaper alternative to the Jeffs stuff is

Chemical Guys P40 polish to prep the paint

topped off with a couple of coats of Chemical Guys Blitz.

OK well I spent most of today on it, I used : Megs Clay bar, Mer polish as my new polish hasnt arrived, and dodo juice blue velvet...quite happy with it...

228369_10150614275615584_569460583_18779179_4896258_n.jpg

250019_10150614275965584_569460583_18779184_4183264_n.jpg

231118_10150614276930584_569460583_18779194_4318901_n.jpg

230238_10150614277625584_569460583_18779204_6624533_n.jpg

looks good mate, i recommended a friend to buy the carlack 68 kit and to top it off with a coat of collinite 476, he was amazed with the results especially when it was still beading like crazy 6 months later!

cheers guys, my first time using a hard wax, must say i was impressed with how easy it was to apply and buff off, may give it another coat tomorrow to see if I can get anymore shine! :)

Looks great Danny :thumbup: love the race blue on these. Mine's Corrida red, ideally would have gone for blue but at 24k miles when I bought it just over a week ago I couldn't resist!

Also nice touch on the colour coded grille, it transforms the front end!

Do you use a piece of clay once and then dispose of it or can it be used again? Obv I have no idea about these things.

It's dependent on how bad the clay gets. You dont have to dispose of a piece of clay as soon as it's used. You should keep kneading it when using it so that there's always a clean smooth surface so that it can pick up the contaminants. After chatting to one of the dodo guys at a car show, the general consensus seems to be that so long as the kneaded surface is free from lumpy bits of grit etc then you can keep using it, but obviously as soon as it's looking worse for wear and you can feel hard bits in the clay then it's time to chuck it otherwise you could do more harm than good. Hope that helps :)