Need a roof box and bars for this years euro trip!

Yeti_Man

Well, I'm finally admitting defeat and looking to purchase one of those unsightly big plastic grey boxes for the roof of Beti! After just about managing on the previous couple of euro trips (by packing the car to the gunnels) this year we will need to take even more with us and will be carrying an additional passenger (so two adults, one five year old and a thirteen year old) plus luggage for almost four weeks away.

Now, as you can guess by my description of a roof box above :p I'm not keen on the idea but I see it as my only option (other than trading in and buying a bigger car)!

Having said that, during the last couple of nights of researching the topic - some of the boxes certainly look nicer than others and there appears to be a fair bit of development taking place in terms of lowering the wind resistance of these things.

So, I figure I need two things; a set of cross bars and a roof box? Is that it or am I missing anything else? :wonder:

I prefer the look of the official Skoda bars that finish flush with the existing roof bars but wonder if they are the best bet in terms of wind resistance? I hate the idea of having something a few inches above my head that's going to make additional noise so really want to minimise this as much as possible by investing in the right kit.

I also need to look for the right box obviously. I want something that's going to offer as much additional storage as possible but still look 'right, on the car. I've seen ones that look way to long for the vehicle - maybe I'm just being an aesthetics tart but they bug the life out of me!

Any suggestions on the right box would be greatly appreciated. It will store soft bags and a suitcase mainly. If there was one on the market that suited the shape of the car and even matched the grey colour of the vehicle it would help me get over having to go this route... :rofl:

Once we arrive at our destination, I'd like to remove the box and take it into our accommodation; mainly so we aren't driving around for the three weeks with it still attached! I'm guessing this is feasible and easy to achieve ie taking it on and off whilst away? Also, I'm going to miss the additional light from the roof whilst the box is in place but that I'm going to have to live with that of course - at least for the duration of the drive there and back!

So if anyone can offer any general or specific advice to this moaning old man I'd greatly appreciate it. :thumbup:

Thanks in advance.

Well, I'm finally admitting defeat and looking to purchase one of those unsightly big plastic grey boxes for the roof of Beti! After just about managing on the previous couple of euro trips (by packing the car to the gunnels) this year we will need to take even more with us and will be carrying an additional passenger (so two adults, one five year old and a thirteen year old) plus luggage for almost four weeks away.

Now, as you can guess by my description of a roof box above :p I'm not keen on the idea but I see it as my only option (other than trading in and buying a bigger car)!

Having said that, during the last couple of nights of researching the topic - some of the boxes certainly look nicer than others and there appears to be a fair bit of development taking place in terms of lowering the wind resistance of these things.

So, I figure I need two things; a set of cross bars and a roof box? Is that it or am I missing anything else? :wonder:

I prefer the look of the official Skoda bars that finish flush with the existing roof bars but wonder if they are the best bet in terms of wind resistance? I hate the idea of having something a few inches above my head that's going to make additional noise so really want to minimise this as much as possible by investing in the right kit.

I also need to look for the right box obviously. I want something that's going to offer as much additional storage as possible but still look 'right, on the car. I've seen ones that look way to long for the vehicle - maybe I'm just being an aesthetics tart but they bug the life out of me!

Any suggestions on the right box would be greatly appreciated. It will store soft bags and a suitcase mainly. If there was one on the market that suited the shape of the car and even matched the grey colour of the vehicle it would help me get over having to go this route... :rofl:

Once we arrive at our destination, I'd like to remove the box and take it into our accommodation; mainly so we aren't driving around for the three weeks with it still attached! I'm guessing this is feasible and easy to achieve ie taking it on and off whilst away? Also, I'm going to miss the additional light from the roof whilst the box is in place but that I'm going to have to live with that of course - at least for the duration of the drive there and back!

So if anyone can offer any general or specific advice to this moaning old man I'd greatly appreciate it. :thumbup:

Thanks in advance.

Haven't bought roof bars for Betty yet, but I've got a roof box sitting in my garage. I've had it for many years, and it's one of those long thin ones - for carrying skis. The mountings will be pretty much standard. Mounting kit comes with the box, and you usually get a choice of two methods, depending partly on the design of the bars.

1. Most modern roof bars (the better ones) have a 'rail', ie there's a gap in the top. The roof box is attached by bolts with square ends. The bolts slide into the rail from the end, heads inside the bars, and you locate the box onto the projecting stud of the bolt (a choice of holes is pre-drilled into the box so you can choose more 'forward' or 'backward' locations). You then simply screw on washers and nuts inside the box to secure it.

2. Alternatively you can secure with 'u' shaped bolts, the 'u' fits around the rail, again the bolts project upwards into the box, and washers/nuts as before.

It's a bit of a faff the first time you fit one, and the unwieldiness of the box means it's better if you have two people on the job (though I have done it solo). With practice you can have the box on or off in 10 minutes or so. They're pretty bulky though (otherwise what's the point) so you'd need to think about where you stored it.

You gets what you pay for with the boxes; the better ones are more sturdy, the cheap flimsy ones flex in the wind and are more noisy. With a well designed and relatively aerodynamic box you shouldn't notice too much extra noise. Thule are one of the best, but the German/Swedish brands generally are reliable. Some of them make colour co-ordinated boxes for your car, or glossy shiny black that looks a bit more 'up market' than dull grey if you're worried by that kind of thing. I settled for grey - not that proud :giggle: I've not yet looked at the Skoda boxes so can't say anything about their relative quality.

I reckon on a 10/20% worse fuel consumption with the box on, but that might be partly due to extra weight inside the car as well as aerodynamic issues. I only use it in circumstances like you describe - car load of people. If it's just me and 'her' I get the skis inside the car.

Hi I bought Thule roof bars ( Silver,sculpted) for mine circa £160 not cheap but they do lock onto the roof rails and look quite good as roof bars go, I did have a hard time trying to fit them first time and gave up after 1/2 an hour I went out later (hour or so) a don't know what the problem was? One thing i did was to put the hex key fixing tool into a battery drill/driver on a low torque setting and this makes life easier for solo first time fitting. It may be worth paying (Halfords in my case) to fit them first off because it was a bit of a fiddle.:dull:

On a different thought.

Maybe a little more expensive, How about a towbar and small trailer?

I guess you are going on a European trip, so traveling at speed won't be an issue, ie France you can tow at 80mph.

Then when you get to where you are going un hook and car looks like normal, plus it won't damage your mpg fig, like have a brick on the roof.

LOL. I got there some time back with my A2. Look up the Autoexpress tests and you will find Kamei normally wins. So that is the only box to go for. I have a Kamei Delphin 380litre with Škoda roof bars. You are welcome to borrow these if you want to try them out first.

Look at this guy. He had the same dilema:

http://www.in-a-tent...os%20and%20Cons

But in the end he got a trailer anyway:

http://www.in-a-tent...g%20a%20trailer

For me:

Box:

1. Not a huge influence on fuel
  2. You need bars (though they are MUCH cheaper than a towbar)
  3. You can only pack light things up there (max load 100kg)
  4. You can park where you like
  5. You drive at normal speed

Trailer:

1. Not a huge influence on fuel (my consumption was the same since my trailer weighs 75kg, and it is short so I suspect it does not affect aerodynamics greatly)
  2. You need a towbar (expensive!)
  3. You can pack as heavy as you like (my baby trailer can take 400kg)
  4. Parking en route is a problem
  5. You are limited to 60 (but most people do 70 - from the forums I've read)

The grey Kamei also colour matches our Steel Grey cars perfectly!

164043_475806336323_671901323_6252470_8314950_n.jpg

167082_475812006323_671901323_6252602_7338067_n.jpg

248445_10150187580981324_671901323_7268760_8071300_n.jpg

Three great posts - thanks very much guys. :thumbup:

mdk1 - I had considered a trailor but I came up with a few negatives:

The cost of having the car prepped - the only option I didnt spec from the factory was the tow bar prep. :( I think the cost came out at something around +60% for the trailor and fitting compared to the roofbox plan.

We usually do our first stint of the annual euro trip by boat to Santander. This and the general manouvering of a trialer ladened Yeti gave me a nervous stomach! :rofl:

Storage at home. I can much more easily store a roofbox compared to a trailor.

Storage away. The two main places we go to have no allowance for leaving a trailor. Whereas both places are big enough to move a roofbox into for the duration of the stay.

Security. A roofbox just feels more secure to me compared to a trailor when you arent around?

If you disagree with the above, please say, as I dont have first hand experience of either of the above scenarios; roof boxes nor trailors - the above negatives are me just thinking it through.

Bobdog - a very valuable 'real world' post. Ive genuinely learnt something there so thank you :thumbup:

I think I'll start looking at actual roof box models online later today. The Thule Excellence stands out as a nice design (told you I was a tart!) and the Kamei Corvora 390 seems to get good reviews for the price - especially as it happens to be available in a 'titanium' finish which is supposed to be very similar in appearance to the colour of my Yeti. :)

I just really dont want to be stuck with something that creates a lot of noise - I guess I wont know for sure until its purchased though!

Also thinking about roof bars and such, as likewise were off to Europe later in the year for two weeks with four adults. Borderline regards whether we will get all the kit in the boot (spare wheel option fitted).

Considering Big Husky's set up of thurle bars and a 'bag box' as I've that much clutter in the garage theres nowhere to store a rigid box :S

TP

We usually do our first stint of the annual euro trip by boat to Santander. This and the general manouvering of a trialer ladened Yeti gave me a nervous stomach! :rofl:

I just really dont want to be stuck with something that creates a lot of noise - I guess I wont know for sure until its purchased though!

To be honest you don't notice the trailer at all. The Yeti is powerful enough that it disappears and you don't feel it. And on a ferry you only go forwards - just like the big trucks on there - so no worries. And to reverse hold the steering wheel at the bottom only. Then you move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go. Easy. So want the trailer to go left, move your hand left thus turning the car's wheels to the right - job done.

As to roofbox noise: it is white noise and you get used to it within a mile or so!

The other option is a roof 'bag'. We have used this Thule Ranger 90 roof bag (340 litre) with Thule Aero bars, on a couple of holidays. The advantage being it packs away easily into it's own tubular bag, bit like a sleeping bag, so you can stowe it in a cupboard or whatever when you reach your destination. Very easy and quick to attach and take off, in fact a 2 minute job! Water proof and didn't really seem to make much noise, hardly noticed it was there to be honest.

173b69f5.jpg

67a503dd.jpg

Edited by BigHusky

The other option is a roof 'bag'. We have used this Thule Ranger 90 roof bag (340 litre) with Thule Aero bars, on a couple of holidays. The advantage being it packs away easily into it's own tubular bag, bit like a sleeping bag, so you can stowe it in a cupboard or whatever when you reach your destination. Very easy and quick to attach and take off, in fact a 2 minute job! Water proof and didn't really seem to make much noise, hardly noticed it was there to be honest.

173b69f5.jpg

67a503dd.jpg

Hi Big Husky, interested in this bag thing, I've not seen one before. Would there be room, do you think, to squeeze a cycle carrier either side of that? I'm thinking camping gear in the bag.

Johann - great posts - VERY useful to me so many thanks.

The point I missed with the trailor idea regarding the boats and eurostar etc is that I *think* that the cost goes up if the car is over something like 4.8 to 5 metres? We usually pay around £600 for the boat as it is (its nearer £640 this year just having checked!) :doh: and Im keen not to pay an additional charge everytime.

The more I think about it, the more I think Im happier with a roofbox over a trailor but its an interesting discussion and its good to think outside the (roof)box! :giggle::rofl::D

Johann - great posts - VERY useful to me so many thanks.

The point I missed with the trailor idea regarding the boats and eurostar etc is that I *think* that the cost goes up if the car is over something like 4.8 to 5 metres? We usually pay around £600 for the boat as it is (its nearer £640 this year just having checked!) :doh: and Im keen not to pay an additional charge everytime.

The more I think about it, the more I think Im happier with a roofbox over a trailor but its an interesting discussion and its good to think outside the (roof)box! :giggle::rofl::D

Check also the 'height' of the car on the ferry. Usually on your booking form it says "car height up to 1.8m". With the box on a Yeti you'll go above that. On some ferries (and on the tunnel shuttle) with more than one vehicle deck there are height restrictions on some decks, so you have to go on with the camper vans etc. From memory there is no extra charge, but you need to mention it when booking.

Check also the 'height' of the car on the ferry. Usually on your booking form it says "car height up to 1.8m". With the box on a Yeti you'll go above that. On some ferries (and on the tunnel shuttle) with more than one vehicle deck there are height restrictions on some decks, so you have to go on with the camper vans etc. From memory there is no extra charge, but you need to mention it when booking.

Thank you. Yes, Brittany Ferries iirc charge more for the length of vehicle (so more with trailor) but not the height increase. As you say, its just so they put you on the right deck, not to rip you off for even more cash for it! :giggle:

I like that roof bag idea,

As for a trailer, yes it will be more expensive on the ferry so that is a downside.

As for towing, it's a easy once you have done it and can relax with it on the back, as for reversing, worst case you unhook and push it to where you want it to be and re hook, couple of mins to do the whole thing, but you will soon get the hang off reversing.

But on a balance if you are more comfy with the roof box idea that's fine as the last thing you want when on a holiday is to worry about something new.

As for towing, it's a easy once you have done it and can relax with it on the back, as for reversing, worst case you unhook and push it to where you want it to be and re hook

No... Worst case is reversing and forgetting the trailer is there. Very easy if you can't see it out of the back window!

tom

I use the Thule Atlantic roof box bought second hand off e bay along with Thule roof bars aero style 127 cm and the Thule foot pack for the Yeti also bought brand new off e bay at a saving of about 33% from dealers such as roof racks.co.uk or skidrive .co.uk who are very good to deal with.

The box is shaped so as to cover the bars and as such wind noise is reduced to quite low levels. I found that fuel consumption was affected but only about 3 mpg on my diesel.I have used mine to travel to France and found that it's better to pack the roof box with holdalls rather then suitcases as the bags can be squashed slightly to fit, and the clamp controls do stick out a bit. I have the 200 model as I got this when I had my Octavia so I could have fit a larger one on the Yeti which would have more space. With the weight limit of 100 kgs that's quite a lot and as I said earlier use holdalls as these also save on weight. If you gon the Thule website they have the full range on there, and remember most manufacturers use Thule to make their own brand boxes so you can be assured of the quality.

As for storing in the garage you can get Paddy Hopkirk roof box holders. These fit to the garage wall and are foldable arms, lockable and telescopic arms to allow different size boxes to be stored. Available from skidrive or roof racks uk for about £25 great investment.

You might consider hireing a roof box - just Google 'roof box rental' there are pages of them - and they seem to use some decent kit too!

You might consider hireing a roof box - just Google 'roof box rental' there are pages of them - and they seem to use some decent kit too!

Now there is an idea! Especially after I spent last night looking at the proposed holiday costs.... :S Thanks very much.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Hapro Probox 460 box mounted on Yeti bars. The Hapro box is about 185cm long so long enough for skis up to 175cm in length. We do use it for long summer holidays as it means we can put all our kit in the box leaving just overnight bags in the boot.

Wind noise? Very little and it soon fades into the background.

I have also used a Thule Ranger 90 when we had our Roomster. That was a fabric "box" made out of an extremely heavy duty waterproof material. It locked onto the bars and you could padlock the zippers. We did in fact remove that at destination. Clearly it's not as secure as a hard roof box but any thief worth his or her salt knows it's only going to contain clothing and not valuable items.

As an aside, we also have Thule holdall bags for our box including one that's shaped for the nose of the box. These are worth looking at. You can get cheaper ones elsewhere but in two years of use, these have proved very strong and convenient.

IMG_1491.jpg

John

Now there is an idea! Especially after I spent last night looking at the proposed holiday costs.... :S Thanks very much.

Seems you missed my offer in my first post...

Jst - thanks for the post, to me that box looks perfect on the yeti and would offer me enough space to take the whole family away together :D

Johann - pm sent :-)

What are they? It's not a direct link. Thanks :-)

The link appears to be correct but requires the viewer to enter a post code or just click Continue.

Once you have moved past that page look at Aluminium Roof Bars under the Travel Essentials menu. :thumbup: