Realword mpg figures petrol and diesel vrs

Hey Guys, not been on here for a while, I am soon going to be in the market for a new car and after enjoying my mk1 ocy vrs I am seriously looking at the mk 2 VRS version now, just wanted some "real world" figures of peoples mpg's, in both the petrol and diesel versions, averages, how much you get on so much fuel etc etc, both are possibles for me so this may help me decide ..........

The car would be a main family car and used for commuting not great distances tho.

cheers

James

Hi,

I've only had my petrol VRS for a couple of months so it's still running in, I found after my first refuel I'd averaged 26 mpg and after the second its now averaged 37 mpg. I'm hoping that I will get nearer the second figure as the car loosens up it's only on about 700 miles at the moment.

Dedders.

Just ignore lol's ludicrous MPG claims in his glorious TSI!

Best bet is to browse here:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/octavia

You will get some mildly accurate figures then.

Around 45-50 in the CR and around 35-40 in the TSI.

Depends on the type of journey - the CR is terrible on short runs if the engine isn't warmed up...This is what lets mine down as i never get below 50mpg going to work and back (got 63mpg on an airport run the other night) but if you do short journies you are looking at low to mid 40's and it takes ages to warm up! I don't hang about either :giggle:

42235.png

Edited by jrw

Hey Guys, not been on here for a while, I am soon going to be in the market for a new car and after enjoying my mk1 ocy vrs I am seriously looking at the mk 2 VRS version now, just wanted some "real world" figures of peoples mpg's, in both the petrol and diesel versions, averages, how much you get on so much fuel etc etc, both are possibles for me so this may help me decide ..........

The car would be a main family car and used for commuting not great distances tho.

cheers

James

I thought long and hard about this and ended up with the an 1.8 TSI DSG L&K.

Performance is mid way between the petrol and wiesel VRS and so is the economy. The 7 speed DSG is an absolute delight and the L&K touches make it a nicer place to be than the VRS which we have too (petrol of course). Slight negative is the handling is less sporty but still good. Could have gone for the 18 inch Neptunes and lowering kit but since I do 1000 miles a week rather have the comfortable ride.

We get around 35 mpg on the TSI VRS and about 39 mpg on the 1.8 TSI which shows up as 37 and 41 mpg on the computers. But that is doing balasts that the diesels can only dream about unless mapped and even then you get the nothing-all-nothing power band where with the petrols it starts at the same revs but goes on to rev 2K higher.

Petroleum prices have crashed on the international exchanges so hopefully cheaper fuel on the way, if only ConDems would lower the VAT to a reasonable level it would help fill up. Thankfully have a fuel card for the 1.8 TSI so it works out about 50p a litre, hurray!

PS you can get ludicrous fuel figure if you drive like the diesels have to. Best seen on the TSI VRS computer 570 miles, 650 miles in the 1.8 TSI but that was driving with the diesels (lorries) but just shows it can be done. But computer does overread by about 5% of course.

Edited by lol

I thought long and hard about this and ended up with the an 1.8 TSI DSG L&K.

Performance is mid way between the petrol and wiesel VRS and so is the economy. The 7 speed DSG is an absolute delight and the L&K touches make it a nicer place to be than the VRS which we have too (petrol of course). Slight negative is the handling is less sporty but still good. Could have gone for the 18 inch Neptunes and lowering kit but since I do 1000 miles a week rather have the comfortable ride.

We get around 35 mpg on the TSI VRS and about 39 mpg on the 1.8 TSI which shows up as 37 and 41 mpg on the computers. But that is doing balasts that the diesels can only dream about unless mapped and even then you get the nothing-all-nothing power band where with the petrols it starts at the same revs but goes on to rev 2K higher.

Petroleum prices have crashed on the international exchanges so hopefully cheaper fuel on the way, if only ConDems would lower the VAT to a reasonable level it would help fill up. Thankfully have a fuel card for the 1.8 TSI so it works out about 50p a litre, hurray!

As if by magic! Funny how your MPG figures are coming down and down the more you post - you were getting nearly 50mpg last year i am sure :rofl:

You have also successfully managed to get in how great the 1.8tsi is even though the OP is enquiring about a VRS.......and not only that you have also made it a politically based labour fanboy troll!

Also....all or nothing power band....obviously haven't driven the CR then.

Have you got an Android or iPhone? Download Speedview or dynalicious and post up your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times....should be interesting. :D

Took my new 06 plate Fsi Sport on my regular 40 mile commute today. Got 39mpg on the way there (Right foot like a feather) and 34mpg on the way back (with a slightly heavier right foot)

Only downside was the emissions light coming on so a trip back to the dealer needed!

This thread is making me think two things. The first is that I really glad I ordered the diesel vRS and the second is I wish it would hurry up and arrive!

I placed my deposit on Friday last week and was told that it would be with the dealership either the end of this week or beginning of next.

Why is it when you are waiting for something exciting it always feels like it is taking an age to arrive???

Regards

Mark

As if by magic! Funny how your MPG figures are coming down and down the more you post - you were getting nearly 50mpg last year i am sure :rofl:

You have also successfully managed to get in how great the 1.8tsi is even though the OP is enquiring about a VRS.......and not only that you have also made it a politically based labour fanboy troll!

Also....all or nothing power band....obviously haven't driven the CR then.

Have you got an Android or iPhone? Download Speedview or dynalicious and post up your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times....should be interesting. :D

Surely a simple phone App for a crude accelerometer, surely the samplying rate is too slow? (well for a petrol).

I have a HTC Touch Pro 2, Windows I think? I have a Blackberry but I do not think that will do such things. Was thinking about a G-Tech device but did not get any feed back on it on this site.

Edited by lol

Surely a simple phone App for a crude accelerometer, surely the samplying rate is too slow? (well for a petrol).

I have a HTC Touch Pro 2, Windows I think? I have a Blackberry but I do not think that will do such things. Was thinking about a G-Tech device but did not get any feed back on it on this site.

(well for a petrol) - cheap shot.

HTC is a Windows phone so don't know if you can get it.

The Apple app has been tested back to back with a g-tec unit and it was more accurate than it!

It doesn't use an accelerometer, it uses GPS.....It also measures the altitude so you can see if you have been cheating by going down hill.

Haven't tested it on mine yet but will post a thread up when i do. :D

This thread is making me think two things. The first is that I really glad I ordered the diesel vRS and the second is I wish it would hurry up and arrive!

I placed my deposit on Friday last week and was told that it would be with the dealership either the end of this week or beginning of next.

Why is it when you are waiting for something exciting it always feels like it is taking an age to arrive???

Regards

Mark

Cancel the order, change it to a petrol, any petrol.

VW-Audi do not want people to buy diesel unless they are 3 litre or above. They do everything to discourage people, long lead times, poorer deals you can get. Most VAG R&D is in to direct injection, turbo-charged petrol hybrids. Diesels they have left to BMW to sweep up the market.

Just look at the Vienna International Engine awards - http://www.volkswagen.com.sg/sg/en/metacontent/company/news/engine_of_the_year_award.html

1.4 TSI (180 hp) and 2.5 TSI (340 hp) win petrol catergories. Diesel Engine awards won by BMW for their fabulous twin turbo diesel (2 litre - 204 hp) but the cost is high and so is diesel prices in the UK compared to the continent.

If you are going to keep it and drive 150,000 miles then maybe you can put up with it but I would rather drive it for 60K, ie when the manufacturer's warranty runs out, why should I have confidence if their product when they do not, and then change to the next wizzo machine, which is about 18 months for me. Do get through a lot of Skodas though, 1 Felecia, 2 Fabias, 1 Superb and 8 Octavias.

VW-Audi do not want people to buy diesel unless they are 3 litre or above. They do everything to discourage people, long lead times, poorer deals you can get. Most VAG R&D is in to direct injection, turbo-charged petrol hybrids. Diesels they have left to BMW to sweep up the market.

Just look at the Vienna International Engine awards - http://www.volkswagen.com.sg/sg/en/metacontent/company/news/engine_of_the_year_award.html

1.4 TSI (180 hp) and 2.5 TSI (340 hp) win petrol catergories. Diesel Engine awards won by BMW for their fabulous twin turbo diesel (2 litre - 204 hp) but the cost is high and so is diesel prices in the UK compared to the continent.

If you are going to keep it and drive 150,000 miles then maybe you can put up with it but I would rather drive it for 60K, ie when the manufacturer's warranty runs out, why should I have confidence if their product when they do not, and then change to the next wizzo machine, which is about 18 months for me. Do get through a lot of Skodas though, 1 Felecia, 2 Fabias, 1 Superb and 8 Octavias.

What? Shut up talking nonsense.

Performance is mid way between the petrol and wiesel VRS and so is the economy.

It's a shame that any thread about economy brings lol out of the woodwork to spout his nonsense and ruin it.

I'd still like to know how a 1.8TSI can be quicker than a CR VRS when it has less power, less torque, but similar weight and gearing?

On the point about diesels nothing-all-nothing' power delivery, that shows how ill-informed you actually are.

Lots of people who were used to the old PD power delivery (which was a bit like that) loved the delivery and are a bit disappointed that the new CR engines do not retain that type of power delivery. They are very linear in their delivery with little noticable lag, much like the TSI engines.

And waiting times for diesel engines are long because VAG don't want you to buy them?

Have you ever thought that maybe the waiting times are long because people like them and therefor buy lots of them? And people like them because they are good engines? And because people want to buy them there is no need to incentivise purchase with special deals?

Seriously, your anti-diesel/pro 1.8TSI stance is really beginning to grate on a large proportion of us :dull:

Basically, the petrol will cost you ~20p per mile in fuel, the diesel ~15p.

Depends on your projected mileage ofc, I bought the petrol based on doing only around 7k per year, and as a main family car, which it's perfect for. I'm constantly amazed by what the boot will hold, and for a compromise of cost/build quality/interior/power/fuel economy it's peerless.

I got 36 out my cr and now get 29 out my tsi. I am quite heavy footed and both were remapped. Personally for the vast superior performance when remapped compared to the not so massive difference in mpg its a no brainer for me.

I'd still like to know how a 1.8TSI can be quicker than a CR VRS when it has less power, less torque, but similar weight and gearing?

far be it from me to defend lol but I believe he is quoting Skoda's figures that show the 1.8TSI to be 0.5 seconds faster 0-62mph than the VRS TDI CR (7.8 vs 8.3 seconds) with top speed just 1mph slower (139 vs 140mph)

The VRS TDI CR is in fact almost 10% heavier than the 1.8TSI (kerbweight 1395kg vs 1275kg) and the gearing will be significantly different as the 1.8TSI revs to 6500rpm vs the TDI 4500(?) rpm.

Those figures are all for the hatchback from skoda.co.uk

Seriously, your anti-diesel/pro 1.8TSI stance is really beginning to grate on a large proportion of us :dull:

:thumbup: +1

Remember this feature chaps :)

As for the thread question, my calculated MPG works out at around 42-45 around town, 48-52 on a longer A-road/mway run. My mway pace typically being 80 on cruise. I can get into the upper 50s if the route is more single carriageway A-road, or where pace is between 50-60mph. Mapped PD140.

far be it from me to defend lol but I believe he is quoting Skoda's figures that show the 1.8TSI to be 0.5 seconds faster 0-62mph than the VRS TDI CR (7.8 vs 8.3 seconds) with top speed just 1mph slower (139 vs 140mph)

I think we all agree though that 0-60 times are an irrelevance.

In-gear times are the real benchmark and with significantly more torque the diesel is always going to be quicker.

Getting back on topic;

Chris Taylor has hit the nail on the head I think. It will cost 5p per mile more to run the petrol, so that's £500 at 10k miles a year.

Judge yourself if the extra running costs are worth it for the miles you do, but coming from a petrol mk1 you may be happy enough with the TSI economy.

Whichever engine you choose, Chris is spot on with this;

as a main family car, which it's perfect for. I'm constantly amazed by what the boot will hold, and for a compromise of cost/build quality/interior/power/fuel economy it's peerless

P.s Wardy- cheers for the link :p

Well if I can add to this; my TFSI is a family car and used for small commutes. It is also used for fortnightly 200 mile round trip to visit parents. The econopmy on mine was so so until it was remapped, now I can get up to 30 around town (4 mile commute) and 38 MPG on the motorway with the car fully loaded (previously 27 and 34 mpg). I'm more than happy with this given the level of performance that the car has.

I also wouldn't consider anything other than a VRS as I consider the looks mundane, tbh if I didn't buy the VRS I would have just looked at a completely different car. If you've come from another VRS or a sporty car background you'll probably agree (no offence to anyone else here). You've also got more midrange punch in either VRS model, but I actually come from a diesel to my petrol and prefer it. Whilst you can still get good mpg from short commutes in a diesel, you don't get anythiong like the claimed figures, throw in a few diesel problems and all your economy savings are out of the window. Unless you do high mileage, stick with the petrol IMHO. There are also some bargians to be had out there, whereas the diesels still seem to suffer from sky high pricing at some places (again losing any savings).

Thanks guys some really good replies, the wife has a 8 miles commute, only one part of it is a 3 mile bypass the rest is rush hour stop starts, and unless we are away visting anyone it will be all local start stop trips, from my experience too it seems you need to do a lengthy journey to get the best out of a diesel - then its the toss up for the extra 1500-2000 ( which it seems ) for a simialr age spec car, hhhmmmmm decisions decisions.......

Thanks guys some really good replies, the wife has a 8 miles commute, only one part of it is a 3 mile bypass the rest is rush hour stop starts, and unless we are away visting anyone it will be all local start stop trips, from my experience too it seems you need to do a lengthy journey to get the best out of a diesel - then its the toss up for the extra 1500-2000 ( which it seems ) for a simialr age spec car, hhhmmmmm decisions decisions.......

You'll probably get around 30mpg from the (TSI)petrol under those circumstances.

I wouldn't buy a diesel with your usage because of the DPF issues.

Looks like a petrol for you then ;)

Don't forget you can get the glorious 1.8tsi pipe and slippers edition, sorry L&K, stick a 'fin' on it (whatever one of those is) and it looks exactly like a VRS... :notme:

You'll probably get around 30mpg from the (TSI)petrol under those circumstances.

I wouldn't buy a diesel with your usage because of the DPF issues.

I have been reading of these dpf issues ? dont wish to start another thread on that but are they that common and from a standard car or just a remapped one ?