Isofix passenger seat retrofit?

Is it possible?

My 2008 (58 plate) has Isofix seat fixings for the front passenger seat. I don't think Isofix is provided for front passenger seats on current models. You could buy a secondhand seat and perhaps have it retrimmed to match your existing upholstery.

That said, a child is probably safer seated in the rear of the vehicle, rather than the front.

Edited by veloplus

My 2008 (58 plate) has Isofix seat fixings for the front passenger seat. I don't think Isofix is provided for front passenger seats on current models. You could buy a secondhand seat and perhaps have it retrimmed to match your existing upholstery.

That said, a child is probably safer seated in the rear of the vehicle, rather than the front.

I know in Oz no children are allowed in the front seat due to the action of the airbags. I can imagine an airbag would not do a young child any good at all.

I know in Oz no children are allowed in the front seat due to the action of the airbags. I can imagine an airbag would not do a young child any good at all.

If a child seat is placed on the front passenger seat, the passenger seat airbag can be disabled to prevent such a scenario.

• Like 1

What about airbags in rear side doors? Couldn't them blow and kick in the side of child seats mounted there?

I was going for the extra rear airbag options thinking it would gain extra security for my children, but eventually my dealer told me it was then essential using Skoda child seats.

So this airbags was more for adult passengers, and it's not possible to switch them off.

I then removed them from my spec, but I don't really know for sure...

What about airbags in rear side doors? Couldn't them blow and kick in the side of child seats mounted there?

I was going for the extra rear airbag options thinking it would gain extra security for my children, but eventually my dealer told me it was then essential using Skoda child seats.

So this airbags was more for adult passengers, and it's not possible to switch them off.

I then removed them from my spec, but I don't really know for sure...

I was told the same thing by my Skoda dealer, except the part about Skoda child seats. So I didn´t go for the extra rear airbags either...

If a child seat is placed on the front passenger seat, the passenger seat airbag can be disabled to prevent such a scenario.

That is the difference as you can't disable it in Australia and in fact no child is allowed to ride in the front seat under a certain age. How is the airbag disabled anyway, surely it would be a dealer only job and then if it is not reversed the front passenger has lost that protection. Sorry for going offf topic here but I am curious as to how it is done.

That is the difference as you can't disable it in Australia and in fact no child is allowed to ride in the front seat under a certain age. How is the airbag disabled anyway, surely it would be a dealer only job and then if it is not reversed the front passenger has lost that protection. Sorry for going offf topic here but I am curious as to how it is done.

Key operated switch inside passenger glove box. I believe only available in certain countries. If disabled, a warning light illuminates, located just below ICE head.

Edited by BillyJim

Ok, talked to my dealer and it is possible. Rather expensive though, nearly €250 as opposed to €50 when ordered from the factory. I can turn off the airbag with the key in the glove compartment.

Had a volvo v50 before and the isofic mountings were €40 and I could fit them myself. With the skoda you have to take out the seat and strip it...

Edited by doby

• 3 weeks later...

So ordered the Isofix fittings. Decided to install it myself. Had to take out the seat and strip it from the upholstery....took me an hour. Installing isofix on the Volvo took me 5 minutes. Something for skoda to think about...

• 3 years later...

So ordered the Isofix fittings. Decided to install it myself. Had to take out the seat and strip it from the upholstery....took me an hour. Installing isofix on the Volvo took me 5 minutes. Something for skoda to think about...

I'd think about not putting a child in the front seat under any circumstances TBH, but each to their own.....

I'd think about not putting a child in the front seat under any circumstances TBH, but each to their own.....

If the child is in a car with isofix in the front seats, they are securely strapped into a quality car seat and the airbags are switched off, where is the problem?

Independent testing as well as statistical analysis of crash data has shown that 2-6 year olds sitting in a normal seat with a normal seatbelt are as safe as they would be with a car seat. The whole child seat industry is based on companies convincing governments to make seats a legal requirement unfortunately :(. If they really wanted to stop people dying in cars they'd make crash helmets mandatory, but instead you'll more than likely be stopped by the police if they see you wearing a crash helmet in your car :/...

Here's a paper replicating the results of previous work showing child seats to have negligible safety value.

http://www.laurenedenjones.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Jones_et_al-2015-Journal_of_Applied_Econometrics.pdf

If the child is in a car with isofix in the front seats, they are securely strapped into a quality car seat and the airbags are switched off, where is the problem?

Just my personal preference, nothing more.

• 3 weeks later...

I won't put any of my kids (both under 10) in a front seat unless the back seat is unavailable. Stats vary, but from my research the increase of injury and death for kids in front seats is higher than in the back seats. I had a great road trip with my oldest boy with him in the back, and the seat in front (headrest removed) partially reclined. He had the benefit of a great view and the safety of being in the back. Maybe I'm just odd.... ;o) 

http://blog.esurance.com/safest-seat-in-the-car/#.VZsZnvmqpBc

I won't put any of my kids (both under 10) in a front seat unless the back seat is unavailable. Stats vary, but from my research the increase of injury and death for kids in front seats is higher than in the back seats. I had a great road trip with my oldest boy with him in the back, and the seat in front (headrest removed) partially reclined. He had the benefit of a great view and the safety of being in the back. Maybe I'm just odd.... ;o) 

http://blog.esurance.com/safest-seat-in-the-car/#.VZsZnvmqpBc

Yes, like me, you're as odd as two left feet....
  • Like 1

Independent testing as well as statistical analysis of crash data has shown that 2-6 year olds sitting in a normal seat with a normal seatbelt are as safe as they would be with a car seat. The whole child seat industry is based on companies convincing governments to make seats a legal requirement unfortunately :(. If they really wanted to stop people dying in cars they'd make crash helmets mandatory, but instead you'll more than likely be stopped by the police if they see you wearing a crash helmet in your car :/...

Here's a paper replicating the results of previous work showing child seats to have negligible safety value.

http://www.laurenedenjones.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Jones_et_al-2015-Journal_of_Applied_Econometrics.pdf

The paper doesn't seem to compare forward facing and rear facing car seats, but since it's an American paper, I presume all or most car seats are forward facing. I don't know about the UK, but here in Sweden almost all children ride in rear facing seats up to at least four years of age.
  • Like 2

The paper doesn't seem to compare forward facing and rear facing car seats, but since it's an American paper, I presume all or most car seats are forward facing. I don't know about the UK, but here in Sweden almost all children ride in rear facing seats up to at least four years of age.

Correct - I believe nearly all children here in the UK sit in the rear of the car.

Correct - I believe nearly all children here in the UK sit in the rear of the car.

I'm talking about whether the car seat is rear or forward facing, not whether it's placed in the front or back seat.

I'm talking about whether the car seat is rear or forward facing, not whether it's placed in the front or back seat.

Ahh, right. Do they sit in the front or rear of the car?

Ahh, right. Do they sit in the front or rear of the car?

That's optional, but most probably sit in the back, depending on how many kids you have :)

The passenger side airbag can be disabled with a key switch, so it's safe to have a child seat there too, even though the back seat us probably a bit safer.