Pipercross panel filter servicing/cleaning?

i was told when i ordered mine they are a dry filter and dont need oiling just clean it with warm soapy water and let it dry for 2 or 3 days. make sure its completely dry before re-fitting

I've had a pipercross for 3 years and I clean it every year. I bought the pipercross cleaning kit which comes with cleaner fluid and the oil stuff to reapply.

Haven't had a problem with it. Always made sure it was really dry, but only let it dry naturally and applied a minimal amount of oil (don't go mad).

Iirc the oil is what catches the dirt and not the actual foam. Foam is to hold the oil in there.

It's a really effective system to catch dirt imo if done correctly.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I was under the impression that the pipercross panel filter was a "dry" foam filter?? What do i do? Oil it or leave it dry!!?? :|

I thought all foam filters are oil based? would be good to get a dry foam one if it exists for the car :thumbup:

Chuck it away and fit a Mahle paper filter for complete peace of mind, clean hands and clean engine internals :p

Ermmmm, thanks for the superb help there mate!!! So back to the question in hand....

the bottom of this article says

*Please only use approved Pipercross oils on our foam laminate filters as directed. Do not oil Pipercross "dry" foam

http://www.pipercross.net/competition/technical.asp

Ermmmm, thanks for the superb help there mate!!! So back to the question in hand....

*Please only use approved Pipercross oils on our foam laminate filters as directed. Do not oil Pipercross "dry" foam

'Cleaning Instructions' liked to on the vRS panel filter page mention using the Oil (cleaning additive) though. So I'd assume it's a foam laminate filter for the Fab, not a 'dry' one.

What I understood from the last sentence is: don't use normal oil for our filters but use our special cleaning additive which is 'dry oil'..

However..

When the time comes that an air filter has reached it's full dust capacity, all of our foam air filters can be easily washed with plain water or our cleaning solution and then re-oiled where necessary.

Does this mean its not necessary to re-oil everytime you wash it or does it mean some products do not use oil? Mine came with oil when bought new (but mines a cone filter).

On the flip side, there is no explanation of 'dry' and 'wet' filter so I assume they're all the same 'wet' ones.

I was in same query so i emailed pipercross. Basically to clean the panel filter use warm water and then let dry naturally. This is because they say the oil they told people to use sometimes damaged the maf on vag vehicles. So basically you run it dry

I was in same query so i emailed pipercross. Basically to clean the panel filter use warm water and then let dry naturally. This is because they say the oil they told people to use sometimes damaged the maf on vag vehicles. So basically you run it dry

If the oil that was an integral part of their design to filter air (or why would it exist) is missing, entirely due to issues found on certain cars. I personally wouldn't trust the filter to do it's job properly?

It's like saying you can miss out the G12 in the coolant and just run water. It's not being used how it was designed to be used? It may work, but not to the specifications you're paying for/expect?

Morts got it.

THESE FILTERS DON'T WORK, some of you just aren't listening, why won't you listen?

Chuck it away and refit a nice new paper one, some decent test results and the terrible truth is here:

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/intake.htm#highflowreplacementairfilters

Since most of you have a turbodiesel any notion of intake restriction is rendered ridiculous by the fact that you have a highly restrictive intercooler between the airbox and the engine.

The filter is there to do one job only and that is to remove potentially harmful contamination from the fresh air it sucks in, compromise that filtration and you risk damaging your MAF, turbo and engine internals.

You don't need to be an Engineer to understand this:

Your entire intake can only flow as much air as the most restricted part of the system, that part is the intercooler so this means that NO amount of tinkering elsewhere will make ANY difference to the net gasflow for that entire system.

The sole function of the intercooler is to reduce the inlet air temperature and it cannot do this without forcing all that inlet air to interact with a very large surface area in order to conduct the heat away quickly, that interaction induces DRAG and therefore restricts flow.

Fitting a much larger intercooler will usually actually INCREASE the drag and therefore restrict flow even further BUT it does a better job of lowering the air temperature and so will usually increase available power.

However if you plot a simple graph of flow versus temperature you can find a point at which fitting an even larger intercooler can actually start to LOSE power for a given application, therefore intercooler sizing is important.

Luckily turbodiesels have MUCH lower exhaust gas temperatures (EGT) than turbopetrols and therefore do not require such large intercoolers, unless of course you delete your EGR system and overload your injectors in which case your EGT can rise significantly forcing your turbo to run much hotter and therefore raising air inlet temperatures dramatically, robbing you of power and damaging your turbo and engine internals.

Jeez, this is like exit counselling cult members, stop BELIEVING and start THINKING.

"Every little helps" is the mantra of what I call Tesco Tuners, please tell them to leave the car alone and go back to their day job on the supermarket checkout.

I believe this post is entitled pipercross filter how to service/clean? Not should i buy one or bin it. I got mine because its cheaper than buying a decent paper one every year. As long as it works i dont really care about anything else. As far as i know everyone on here isnt daft enough to fall for the advertising that it improves performance any way. And as for paper ones the oem one that used to be on mine didnt even fit properly.

Think your missing the point as said above.

To add, the link max-boost.co.uk. Have you actually read it? :wonder: Most of his links are broken or close relation to red line and max power stuff, language is like written by a teenager, comparisons are broken and simply too one sided argument.

I believe this post is entitled pipercross filter how to service/clean? Not should i buy one or bin it. I got mine because its cheaper than buying a decent paper one every year. As long as it works i dont really care about anything else. As far as i know everyone on here isnt daft enough to fall for the advertising that it improves performance any way. And as for paper ones the oem one that used to be on mine didnt even fit properly.

+1, its re-usable so I wont need to bin paper filters every 5-10k. Simply wash it out, spray and bung it back in.

I believe this post is entitled pipercross filter how to service/clean? Not should i buy one or bin it.

Since there were so many replies with no real answer forthcoming I thought the OP might benefit from some decent and decisive advice.

I got mine because its cheaper than buying a decent paper one every year.

No it's not, because your valves, valve seats, unit injectors, turbo and MAF are being shotblasted constantly with very fine abrasive particles.

As long as it works i dont really care about anything else.

They don't work properly.

As far as i know everyone on here isnt daft enough to fall for the advertising that it improves performance any way.

Wanna bet lol?

And as for paper ones the oem one that used to be on mine didnt even fit properly.

Get a Mahle filter, more pleats, more surface area, finer filtration, better fit. And no, I don't work for them, I just use their excellent products.

JLneonhug; really and really?

Well done, so after sarcasm could you answer my question. Have you read the article without rose tinted glasses and clicked on the 'links of proof'?

Dont get me wrong, I'm all up for advice and knowledge so long as it looks and sounds credible. To me, that does not.

If you search for 'the world is flat' I'm sure you'll find lots of evidence that is true, its also the same if you search 'pipercross products kill engines'.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...