Towbar Coding Problem

barnold

Hi All,

First post on the Yeti forum.. have just replaced my Octavia vrs (mk1) with a 170 Yeti & have just had a Witter removable towbar fitted. All went well & looks great quality. However, have just had the car in with Robinsons Skoda in Norwich for the coding to be sorted, but they've been incapable of getting it all to work. They're telling me that they neeed the wiring fitting instructions from Witter to be able to work out what to do, but as I understand it that's nonsense? They were messing around for 45 mins this morning, with no joy. They said they'd changed the setting to tell it a towbar was fitted...

Anyone come across this sort of problem before, or is it just that they don't know what they're doing? Any suggestions would be much appreciated as off on hols at the end of the week!

Cheers,

Ben

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I arranged fitting - the Norwich Skoda dealer doesn't fit themselves.

It's model specific wiring that gets fitted & they did go from front of car to back..

I'd personally say your dealer isn't doing the job correctly. I'd get them to exactly specify what they can't do and then tell them you are going to complain to SUK.

Take it to an independent auto electrician with a box of tricks (can't remember the name of the manufacturer).

Thats how I got mine coded when the local dealer baulked at the idea.

The Witter instructions were for long coding e.g. change block 257 to A rather than B type stuff.

The Auto-Electrican plugged in his touchscreen box of tricks, picked Skoda, then Octavia, then tapped a button for Towing that enabled the TCS additional program and allowed the disabling of the rear PDC when light board plugged in.

Interestingly when I got home the PDC change hadn't worked. Went back and left the car with him for a couple of hours - he took a download of the entire car system and uploaded it to the box of tricks manufacturer, they then analysed it and updated their software there and then. This small improvement will have then been sent as an update to every garage in the country that evening with the same box of tricks! Very impressive.

Niall

Hi All,

First post on the Yeti forum.. have just replaced my Octavia vrs (mk1) with a 170 Yeti & have just had a Witter removable towbar fitted. All went well & looks great quality. However, have just had the car in with Robinsons Skoda in Norwich for the coding to be sorted, but they've been incapable of getting it all to work. They're telling me that they needed the wiring fitting instructions from Witter to be able to work out what to do, but as I understand it that's nonsense? They were messing around for 45 mins this morning, with no joy. They said they'd changed the setting to tell it a towbar was fitted...

Anyone come across this sort of problem before, or is it just that they don't know what they're doing? Any suggestions would be much appreciated as off on hols at the end of the week!

Cheers,

Ben

In short, Yes.

Elsie the Helipad has been to the Skoda dealer twice to get this sorted out. I still don't know how much works yet.....Dealer fitted Westfallia removable towbar and electrics with factory towbar preparation.

Hi All,

First post on the Yeti forum.. have just replaced my Octavia vrs (mk1) with a 170 Yeti & have just had a Witter removable towbar fitted. All went well & looks great quality. However, have just had the car in with Robinsons Skoda in Norwich for the coding to be sorted, but they've been incapable of getting it all to work. They're telling me that they neeed the wiring fitting instructions from Witter to be able to work out what to do, but as I understand it that's nonsense? They were messing around for 45 mins this morning, with no joy. They said they'd changed the setting to tell it a towbar was fitted...

Cheers,

Ben

Welcome barnold............................2 posts in SIX years......................emoticon-0120-doh.gif

That's a TOO low a post count, spend the next 5 months posting 15 times daily please emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Oh, and I hope you get the towbar problem fixed. :yes:

Thanks! Been more of a watcher since I ordered the Yeti in Nov last year...

Anyhow, have just received Atera Strada bike carrier &have attached up. All lights work fine, but no trailer shown on telly & parking sensors go bonkers.

Is it possible for the Witter fitters to do things in a way that means it cant be coded properly, or is it just the local dealers. Very annoying!

Thanks! Been more of a watcher since I ordered the Yeti in Nov last year...

Anyhow, have just received Atera Strada bike carrier &have attached up. All lights work fine, but no trailer shown on telly & parking sensors go bonkers.

Is it possible for the Witter fitters to do things in a way that means it cant be coded properly, or is it just the local dealers. Very annoying!

It is Skoda. They don't yet know what to do to code it properly. Still waiting for mine to be sorted out.

Might have to resort to finding somebody on here with VCDS in the VCDS forum to get it sorted if Skoda can't! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

It is NOT Skoda, it's lazy mechanics at dealers who can't be bothered to read the manuals, plug their equipment in and spend the time to do the job properly, because it takes too long and it affects their bonus.

just been and had mine coded today at my local dealer haysleden's skoda doncaster cost £78 but all working ok picture on telly etc took about an hour to do .

just been and had mine coded today at my local dealer haysleden's skoda doncaster cost £78 but all working ok picture on telly etc took about an hour to do .

I'll have to get Allams to speak to them emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

By the way, does your picture on your 'telly' come one when just the trailer outside lights are plugged in, or do you have a caravan and both plugs need plugging in?

Hi All,

Cheers,

Ben

It is NOT Skoda, it's lazy mechanics at dealers who can't be bothered to read the manuals, plug their equipment in and spend the time to do the job properly, because it takes too long and it affects their bonus.

I'd say a big **** off to that quite frankly. Skoda have changed the BCM and how everything is coded now, even the Westfallia bars are having issues, we are awaiting an update on the next brand disc iirc which is out very shortly.

Same problem here. Had the Westfalia towbar and model-specific electrics fitted by Autoroofs of Leicester, recommended by Listers Skoda of Coventry. Their first attempt was aborted - they brought the generic wiring not the dedicated harness. Second attempt was completed but their fitters had no means of testing the rig - no lighting bar! On the third attempt, a fitter arrived with a lighing bar and all appeared OK but needed coding. Listers Skoda charged £47 for this service but the rear parking sensors remain active with the trailer hitched. I'm now in France until September and not inclined to spend more having the coding attempted again by Skoda in France. I copied the following below from the Westfalia manual which may be of help. My son arrives shortly and will bring his VCDS to try and sort it out.IMHO, Skoda and their dealers couldn't organise a panic. I am appalled at the casual and inept way this was done. I have emailed both the Skoda dealer and Autoroof and, guess what - no response.

Text copied from Westfalia installation download

1. The vehicle’s gateway has to be coded as follows using a service tester to extend its functionality to the use of a towing hitch:

• Address word "19", diagnosis interface for data bus.

• Select function 007 coding (service $1A) “reading/writing long code”.

• Select address word “69“, trailer function.

• Change to “Coded“.

• Continue the coding according to the menu.

• Function “06” Exit output.

2. For vehicles fitted with Park Distance Control II or Park Assist, code the control unit in the self-diagnosis using the VAS tester:

• Address 10 (Park Distance Control or Park Assist)

• 08 Code the control unit

• Change the code value: Byte 0 Bit sample xxxxxxx1 (x: enter the available values in the entry field).

To do this, switch to entry mode [bIN].

I hope this makes wense to someone out there in the ether.

All of the above just explains why I bit the bullet and paid for Skoda to supply and fit the whole installation!!!

Just not worth the agro on my one month old car (at time of fitting).

Little-Brit,

Several of us on here also paid our Skoda dealers to supply and fit Skoda (Westfalia) tow bars to new and nearly new Yetis and have been beset by our Skoda dealers inability and/or unwillingness to sort out the coding.

In my case a chum with VCDS coded my detachable bar in <5 minutes!

Just saying like......

I'd say a big **** off to that quite frankly. Skoda have changed the BCM and how everything is coded now, even the Westfallia bars are having issues, we are awaiting an update on the next brand disc iirc which is out very shortly.

Tech1e,

OK, but why is it that some dealers are having NO problems and doing it right first time, but others can't?

And the time thing was told to me by a Skoda mechanic!

Try these people..

BROADLAND TOWBARS LTD

Unit 5 Mackintosh Road

Rackheath Road

Norwich

NR13 6RJ

01603 722220

www.broadland-towbars.co.uk

VEHICLE CODING AVAILABLE!

They have the vehicle coding kit, takes about 5 mins to do!! (they are the nearest to you)

I'll have to get Allams to speak to them emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

By the way, does your picture on your 'telly' come one when just the trailer outside lights are plugged in, or do you have a caravan and both plugs need plugging in?

when i plug the trailer in and i select reverse it shows a picture of a trailer on the telly i only specified one plug to be fitted. i have also been to someone who had a vcds and was told he would have to email the company because my car was so new the information was not available yet for the coding ,i then went to a specific towbar fitter that advertised coding but after an hour he admitted defeat, i thought can not wait any longer as in three weeks i go to france for six weeks and pick up my caravan that is stored there i'd bite the bullet and go to a dealer anyway it cost me £78 but so far all ok.towbar electrics fitted at the factory then skoda wire loom from the back to the socket on the towbar.

when i plug the trailer in and i select reverse it shows a picture of a trailer on the telly i only specified one plug to be fitted. i have also been to someone who had a vcds and was told he would have to email the company because my car was so new the information was not available yet for the coding ,i then went to a specific towbar fitter that advertised coding but after an hour he admitted defeat, i thought can not wait any longer as in three weeks i go to france for six weeks and pick up my caravan that is stored there i'd bite the bullet and go to a dealer anyway it cost me £78 but so far all ok.towbar electrics fitted at the factory then skoda wire loom from the back to the socket on the towbar.

Can someone (should be Skoda UK, but.....) give a definitive answer to what exactly the coding does?

Is it dependant on;

1.What electrics are fitted

2.Whether 2 x 7 pin or 1 x 13 pin socket fitted

3.Factory towbar prep

When done (correctly) does the Trailer image appear on the display and is it dependant on which radio is fitted?

There seem to be too many variations being reported, and in cost, for what should be a simple recoding job.

Fred

Can someone (should be Skoda UK, but.....) give a definitive answer to what exactly the coding does?

There seem to be too many variations being reported, and in cost, for what should be a simple recoding job.

Fred

emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I can laugh as they still don't know what is happening.......and my car is still waiting to be finished.....emoticon-0106-crying.gif Though I am driving around in it whilst they work out what they should be doing......emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I can laugh as they still don't know what is happening.......and my car is still waiting to be finished.....emoticon-0106-crying.gif Though I am driving around in it whilst they work out what they should be doing......emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I've been following your woes and as mine came from the same source I'm concerned.

Fred

I will reiterate. Go to a local independent auto electrician. Ideally one who has one of these...

Shadow_skewed_product_cropped_webversion.jpg

I was charged £45 (I note someone else was charged £78 by a dealer in this thread)

Admittedly I had to go back, but they got it sorted quickly, and Autologic distibutes the data nationwide so if one of their techs has already cracked a Yeti then all the independents can sort it with a screen tap!

Niall

I've been following your woes and as mine came from the same source I'm concerned.

Fred

They tell me that they have sorted it nowemoticon-0148-yes.gif and they have a Yeti which they have got everything all working....we will see....

Booked in for first service at 9500 miles a week on Monday, to sort this out and replace my dicky n/s door mirror. Elsie the Helipad is on time and distance as I drive her around London too much....emoticon-0149-no.gif

Mike

PS I'm not paying anybody else to sort this out...Skoda made the mess, they can fix it....emoticon-0140-rofl.gif