Superb Elegance 4x4

Evening all,

Recently been trawling cars looking for a 4x4, in case we have a winter like last year.

I've looked at Discovery TDV6 ( but the horror stories of costs and problems worry me) to Santa Fe's which are a little bland to look at despite having good write ups.

then I thought why bother, just go for a car with a bit of go but ecomical to i.e a Skoda Octavia vRS diesel......

then I came across a Skoda Superb 4x4 Elegance!!!!!

Seems to have all the toys, cruise, aircon, parking sensors, sat nav, blue tooth, 18 inch wheels.....and the list goes on...... not to mention a 170 bhp diesel engine... same as a vRS, albeit not as sporty.

With it as a 4x4 i'm wondering of its ability?

What are you thoughts on the car?

Anything I should look out for?

I'm new to the forum and appreciate comments!!!

Thanks

I'm currently running a Superb 4x4 estate which I got at the beginning of January. I was impressed with it's traction on the snow we had at the beginning of this year (and where we live in Durham we get more than most of the UK) I haven't fitted winter tyres, it runs on standard 18'' Contis, even so grip was still good enough so it didn't get stuck. With the haldex awd system you can feel power going to the rear wheels when the road surface is slippery to give it a shove once the front wheels start to lose traction. The downside to improved traction is 3 to 4 mpg less than the fwd car (that's with the 170 tdi versions) mine still manages about 40mpg though, usually 4 up and I don't hang about so no complaints there. I'm on my second mk 2 Superb and if I had to replace the car tomorrow I'd buy another one. I don't have a Skoda one track mind either, I've driven and owned many different cars and I speak as I find. Hope that helps.

I recommend some option :

- ventilated seat

- panoramic roof

- electric tailgate

And if you will want 4x4 i think it is necessary "rough road package" (PSW -internal code) it will rise the care from 14 cm to 16 cm - good option in case of winter.

Evenin!

Had a 170bhp 4x4 with essentially "all the bells and whistles" for 8 months now. Living in Norway, so encountered quite a bit of snow as well as temperatures below -15 centigrade.

So far I'm very very impressed and insanely happy :) 4x4 combined with spiky wheels is "da bomb" (sorry I've seen too much American TV-lately).

Strongly advise you to get the "diesel-heater", so you can pre-warm the car before setting off in the winter.

Good luck :)

Mariusx and thnp: re the rough road package and diesel pre heaters: good advice guys and I'm sure these are useful options, I don't think they are available in the UK. Correct me if I'm wrong I won't be offended :)

Woot? Not available... But.. But... It's 2 of the most important things on the entire vehicle! :) Besides the 4x4, the nifty engine, the satnav, the giant boot, the ....

And if you will want 4x4 i think it is necessary "rough road package" (PSW -internal code) it will rise the care from 14 cm to 16 cm - good option in case of winter.

This option is for some reason not possible together with 18" wheels.

i have a 170 4x4... ran it last winter and it got me everywhere, but i did fit Wintrac Xtreme tyres (to 18" rims) - It could accelerate almost as quick on the white stuff, as it could on the black stuff! - Exceptional vehicle!

Al.

Took delivery of my 170CR 4x4 last November. I have a set of winter rims shod with Avon Ice Touring. The car sailed through the weather we get up here in the Pennines.

Get a set of mud flaps. Cheap and worthwhile.

I would have gone for pano roof, but the waiting time was too long.

Keeping some power on through bends does get the 4x4 system to work better. (as on the better half's TT).

10 speaker option worth doing IMO now Skoda have sorted out their speaker soundcards.

Brilliant car! I would buy another without hesitation.

Phil

I have a 4x4 CR170 Superb Combi |ELEGANCE since January and haven't had any frost/snow experience, yet.

As a car, it's absolutely brilliant, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I selected Rough Road Package, it was only about €300 extra. SKODA.ie were not clear what it entailed but I selected it nonetheless (our roads are not great). I was weary of the 225/45/17 tyres, as I had bad experience of pothole damage with a previous car running these, but I've covered 18,000km now and have had no issues so far.

The car gets about 40mpg, as shown on the Multi Function Display (MFD)

If I was you I'd order now, for delivery before next Winter.

Ventilated seats? I don't have them, but they sound like a good option.

Mine is not the 4x4 and TBH I never even considered it due to the extra fuel it uses for 48 weeks of the year (about 18K miles) when 4WD would be pointless (for me).

However I did invest in a set of winter wheels and tyres for it, they are superb and even when provoked they struggled to loose traction in the snow.

They extra I paid for the winters was more than saved for by the increase MPG for the 1st year alone.

Don't buy a 4x4 just for the few weeks of the year we get snow - swap to the correct tyres for the whole of the winter :thumbup:

Why do people equate 4x4 with snow? It's more than that.

Dry road handling and in the wet is so much better for such a heavy car, IMO.

I still get 500 miles per fill-up so I don't think I get a huge penalty for having 4x4.

Phil

I drive (well) within the limits of my car, which incidently is all on made roads, so do not have the need for the extra traction that a 4WD sytem gives you on an unmade road surface or muddy field etc, so the only time I would benefit is in the winter - but I now have the correct rubber for those conditions as well so IMO for me it is an extra cost and load on the drivetrain that I can live without.

I did also say:

Don't buy a 4x4 just for the few weeks of the year we get snow - swap to the correct tyres for the whole of the winter :thumbup:

Now obviously if your regular driving routes take you off the made roads then your needs may well be different to mine.

Personally, having had both FWD, RWD and 4x4 Vehicles, i will NOT be without 4x4 on my every day car (I'm excluding toy / weekend play cars etc here)

The 4x4 system does not hinder too much on the MPG - 51.7mpg (MFD) on a run to Gatwick at around 63mph (on the cruise; 52 average) was achieved a few weeks back (325 miles approx) and if i hadn't of flogged it to get home, then i would have made it home on one tank, in reality, it averaged 45.8 mpg and around 75mph on cruise(69mph average - from 2am) on the way back, i had to add a mere 8L's of fuel.

The safety that the system gives in both wet, dry and ice conditions is excellent. - It's a worth while investment for any vehicle. - I've never crashed a car in my time driving by the way.

There was a few comments on here a month or so ago, about a guy with a 170 TDi having issues pulling out of his street with a 2wd vehicle (incline to main-road + quick acceleration to join traffic) meant that he was almost being caught-out by the front wheels spinning and refusing to give any grip - this in a 4x4 Superb would NOT happen and it would make him, plus other road users safer.

Just my 2p of course,

Al.

ps.

Official Skoda Figures:

44.8 MPG 4x4 170

46.3 MPG DSG 170

48.7 MPG Manual 170

Edited by ukcruiser

Thanks for the great replies. Your enthusiasm is catching.

I'm trawling through ads for the right car.

What's everyone's opinion of the Rosso colour?

IMHO Rosso brunello looks good on the hatch but less impressive on the estate. I've posted pics of mine on here before if you care to do a search. I think it looks particularly smart with Ivory leather/ black carpets. Personal choice of course. When I had my Rosso car lots of people commented on the colour, not one negative comment.

Been running a octavia scout 4x4 for 3 years was amazing in snow only let me down once ( turned out I had a puncture ) but was a little wobbly, loose on fast bends in good dry weather. Don't take that the wrong way it was a great car I loved it but it sat quite high so we now got a superb 4x4 expecting same great car in snow but better handling in dry good weather fast days.