Oil Temperature?

Been going through my maxidot on the VRS and the oil temperature but just has dash's on it, presume it should show some sort of temperature shouldnt it?

Is this a maxidot setting that needs changing or is it a trip to the dealer for a fault?

Thanks, James.

How long had the engine been running when you looked at it? It will only display a temp when it gets above a certain temp (somewhere around 70oC I think). When lower than this temp you get a couple of dashes.

Are you on fixed or variable servicing?

IIRC a car built for fixed servicing does not have the sensor, but one built for variable servicing does.

When a car built for variable servicing is switched to fixed there is another option, fixed servicing (with sensor).

I suspect that if your car has been switched from variable to fixed servicing, it has been incorrectly switched to the fixed servicing (without sensor) option.

Are you on fixed or variable servicing?

IIRC a car built for fixed servicing does not have the sensor, but one built for variable servicing does.

When a car built for variable servicing is switched to fixed there is another option, fixed servicing (with sensor).

I suspect that if your car has been switched from variable to fixed servicing, it has been incorrectly switched to the fixed servicing (without sensor) option.

Where does this info keep coming from?

It shouldn't matter if the car is on variable or fixed.

I'd just make sure you've ticked the option on maxi-dot, if you haven't got maxi-dot or it is ticked and still not working, I'd get it back to the dealer and have them inspect and test.

It shouldn't matter if the car is set to variable (build code QG1) or fixed (QG2) provided it has the sensor and the instrument cluster knows it's there.

Cars built without the sensor (build code QG0) can only be on fixed service.

When a car built for variable service (QG1) is switched to fixed service it should be set to option QG2.

If it were incorrectly set to QG0, the instrument cluster would think there is no sensor and display dashes.

They all have the sensor, but if the car was set to fixed service VAS will set the oil sensor to off if programmed via GFF on some engines, caught me out a few times.

QG0 is fixed service

QG1 is variable service

QG2 is extended servicing (without oil monitoring)no UK vehicles as far as I know use QG2.

You can set to QG0 10k servicing and turn the oil sensor (TOG) on in dash panel.

9531281e.jpg

Servicing type is irrelevant. My car is on fixed servicing and correctly displays the oil temperature in Maxidot.

When I first picked it up the option to show oil temperature was available in the Maxidot menu and was ticked but the display showed --- permanently.

Had it in for a couple of minor warranty bits sorting out and reported this to dealer. Don't know what he did but it now works, showing --- until the temperature reaches 50C when it shows the value.

As a few have said it just needs the tick in the box via the deeler (or someone with some knowhow) mine changed from variable to fixed servicing and i "lost" the oil temp readout, dealer just turned it back on for me.

Servicing type is irrelevant. My car is on fixed servicing and correctly displays the oil temperature in Maxidot.

When I first picked it up the option to show oil temperature was available in the Maxidot menu and was ticked but the display showed --- permanently.

Had it in for a couple of minor warranty bits sorting out and reported this to dealer. Don't know what he did but it now works, showing --- until the temperature reaches 50C when it shows the value.

I'll explain again.

All cars come from factory set to QG1 (that can run on long life anyhow). if you want it changed to fixed the test plan to do so turns off the oil sensor, it can be turned back on so it's no problem. But some don't realise it has done it so the display doesn't register. So it does have something to do with service regime, but it can function with both.

The oil temperature display option was only introduced about 6 months after the first FLs were made. It might be ticked but not on that build of car.