Fitting Polo/Lupo Twin Cup holders

Hi All,

After searching for weeks now I can't seem to find a thorough guide to fitting these Polo/Lupo cup holders - including where to source parts, fitting tips, and Pro's/Con's.

So here goes!

-----------------------------

The Part -

This is originally fitted to selected Polo's and Lupo's and consists of a this coin tray and two cup holders side-by-side - which is a great alternative to the Skoda cup holder that can be fitted to the left of the Head-unit.

The part fits below your Stereo/Head-unit and replaces the storage tray that sits below.

VW Part Number: 6X0 857 558 A

Where do I get the part?

Either your local VW parts dealer - likely to be around the £30-£35 mark, although some say as cheap as £28 (not sure where!) . Otherwise eBay seems to be a slightly pricey option at the moment.

I ordered my parts from this recommended seller on the Polo/Lupo forums as he manages to get a very competitive price and yet postage is INCLUDED (think I was quoted £29 all in!)!

TraderoftheYear.jpg

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67697

Received in a couple of days all sealed in a Genuine VW part box with genuine part number(s)

IMAG0368.jpg

Note: Don't be confused if the sticker on the top reads 4B0 885 995 - its still the correct part and part number... this number is a mystery to me!

Preparation:

The job takes very little time: 15-30 minutes depending how careful you are! and can be undertaken by anyone who can use a saw/pliers with confidence.

It will be worth getting the following "tools" to help you:

- Small Saw/Pliers for "clipping" a couple of clips from the Cup Holer (explained later...)

- Flat head screw driver and Philips ( X head) screwdriver for removing whatever stereo you may have fitted beforehand - some say this is not essential. I would recommend removing to make your life easier.

- Sandpaper ... if you're after a less "rough/rustic" finish

Before you begin:

This mod is very useful and very effective - however if you are a massive perfectionist then you may find the two following points useful before purchasing/fitting:

- The cup holder is a SLIGHTLY darker shade of grey/black than the dashboard (but so is the average aftermarket stereo surround!)

- The fit is very good indeed but not perfectly flush UNDERNEATH and does involve a slight curved gap due to the shape of the dash

Fitted:

IMAG0380.jpg

The "gap"

IMAG0381.jpg

Now.... to the fitting...

1. Remove your current Head-unit/Stereo.

For this I will not be providing a guide as most units are different. However if you are using a factory Head-unit please ferer to fitting instructions from a Skoda Dealer or someone in the know on here.

2. Remove the "cubby hole" tray from under the stereo by simply giving a gentle wiggle, and a good pull, and it should just slide out quite easily. if in doubt CAREFULLY ease it out with a flathead screwdriver

3. If you now try to slide the dual-cupholer into the place of the freshly removed Tray you will find a notch/clip on either side preventing you from fitting it flush to the dash

IMAG0372.jpg

(Excuse how dark that image tuned out...)

These notches need to be removed and it is up to you how you remove them.

Some have advised removal with some pliers (as they're fairly fragile looking so should "pull" off easily. Whereas, I suggest using a small saw for a defined finish and a confident method that is sure to give you a good edge.

If in doubt sand down to your desired finish.

It should then look like so:

The sawn off edge:

IMAG0376.jpg

The Clip after removal:

IMAG0375.jpg

The finished 'customised' part:

IMAG0379.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

Now for putting it in the dash:

The part should easily slide in and the 'cross' shaped extension at the back of the unit should easily support the fitting placement. Make sure you push the tray fully into the hole and it is flat (the cross shaped part should ensure this).

Slide in your stereo and refit any trim you may have removed in the process.

It should then look like this:

IMAG0380.jpg

It's surprisingly sturdy and holds cans/paper coffee cups very well.

Something I noted from a previous post:

Some have said that the cup holders are "slanted forward" and are not that stable, so I had my own doubts about this and checked.

In my SEAT EXEO there is an identical single cup holder fitted form the factory and it seems to have the same "slant" so this is NOT a defect from fitting a VW part to your Skoda - it's the way they are designed with cans and coffee cups in mind.

After over 30k of miles in my EXEO I found that this is more than sufficient and is clearly not designed for BOTTLES so if you want a Bottle holder then look elsewhere.

If you want to see the images in more detail then please see the album here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/theonlyjest/CupHolderModification?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNaLy83o5KCFiwE&feat=directlink

I hope you all find this useful.

If there are any errors please give me a pm/post and I can amend.

Enjoy!

and can be undertaken by anyone who can use a saw/pliers with confidence.

Thats me out then :giggle:

Very good guide by the way :thumbup:

Thats me out then :giggle:

Very good guide by the way :thumbup:

Lol - same... had my doubts.

turns out that may be my first Guide-error - in fact you can use these tools without prior experience, although previous use of Scissors may be advantageous.

Cheers!

In my SEAT EXEO there is an identical single cup holder fitted form the factory and it seems to have the same "slant" so this is NOT a defect from fitting a VW part to your Skoda - it's the way they are designed with cans and coffee cups in mind.

After over 30k of miles in my EXEO I found that this is more than sufficient and is clearly not designed for BOTTLES so if you want a Bottle holder then look elsewhere.

:thumbup: Thanks for this information, I was researching for this too.. Never realised it was not suitable for bottles :(

I found this:

1267d1127660491-pieaitsch-s-vw-lupo-3l-tdi-dsc01953-small-.jpg

Hmm.. I don't have the actual cup holder, but maybe theres some way of making it stop tilting the 'main bit' downwards?

Had a brilliant idea !!

Empty contents, fill with Vodka.

Invert bottle (turn upside down) fit optic tap, now you can have a tipple whenever.

Good eh. LOLemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Had a brilliant idea !!

Empty contents, fill with Vodka.

Invert bottle (turn upside down) fit optic tap, now you can have a tipple whenever.

Good eh. LOLemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

lol "no officer... its water.."

As for tilting - that seems merely down to the angle of the dash... your pic shows this is at a different angle in a lupo.

OH! i have that lupo 3l wheel................. for sale!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi thanks for this post I have fitted these and they do the job very well.

post-98139-0-48153400-1358550945_thumb.jpg closed

post-98139-0-21264700-1358550957_thumb.jpg open

post-98139-0-50516500-1358550968_thumb.jpg the order numbers

I did order this through VW for 36.80 but worth it in my view.

Thanks again for the topic

John

• 2 years later...

Hey.

Great guide.

I've bought the cupholders and will try to work on getting them in my car asap. :)

unfortunately I can't see your photos from the guide. Can you repost them?

That would be great. I'm not sure about removing the clips.

:)

- Jens.

Hey.

Great guide.

I've bought the cupholders and will try to work on getting them in my car asap. :)

unfortunately I can't see your photos from the guide. Can you repost them?

That would be great. I'm not sure about removing the clips.

:)

- Jens.

Hi,

Unfortunately this posts 4 years old. There may be a more up to date one I you try a quick search.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...