Are these VRS's overpriced?

Hi,

Since my VRS was stolen back in November I have had a couple of cars but deep down missed the VRS so I'm looking at getting one again.

I have found these two, ideally I'm after the SE this time.

This one is not an SE but has lots of factory options which really appeals to me. Would also need to find out who did the remap, not sure if its someone on here selling it? The main thing is the whatcar.com valuation says £5695 for a private sale so is this really overpriced:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150627455479&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This SE is from a dealer so would come with warranty etc. Has parrot bluetooth and SE leather but apart from thats its not much different from a standard one. Still whatcar.com is showing £6900 for a dealer price?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201128402921438/sort/locasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/price-to/9000/model/fabia/make/skoda/page/3/keywords/vrs/postcode/s817ne/radius/1500?logcode=p

Are these VRS's just going for more money these days? Also which one do you think I should get?

Thanks

I've been looking at that black one as well. If I had the money I think it would definitely be one of the first I go an have a look at.

It has been for sale for a few weeks now so there is probably a fair bit of room for negotiation in that price.

But are they both not overpriced? Especially the black one. I need to find out who did the remap and previous owners etc. Also it doesn't mention the cambelt.

I have always wanted the SE but the black one has all the toys, although Skoda warranty would be good. I got my lastone from Skoda.

Well to be honest, most cars you see for sale will have some room for negotiation. Cambelt is due so perhaps you could negotiate that off the price as well.

Since it's been for sale for a few weeks, I think the best thing you could do is go and see it, then see what the seller is prepared to come down to. You may be surprised how much you can negotiate off, especially if they've been trying to sell for a while.

After market warranties can also be had for not that much. It might work out cheaper buying private then getting a warranty on top of that.

But are they both not overpriced? Especially the black one. I need to find out who did the remap and previous owners etc. Also it doesn't mention the cambelt.

I have always wanted the SE but the black one has all the toys, although Skoda warranty would be good. I got my lastone from Skoda.

I think they are both overpriced.

How many cars are selling for more than 50% of the new price 5 years later?

It seems that the diesel Fabia VRS has a bit of a cult following because of the economy/performance blend, which traders know.

I'd guess that they have added at least £1000 on top of what they paid for these cars, possibly more. So I'd want £500 off either if I was buying.

Hi,

Since my VRS was stolen back in November I have had a couple of cars but deep down missed the VRS so I'm looking at getting one again.

I have found these two, ideally I'm after the SE this time.

This one is not an SE but has lots of factory options which really appeals to me. Would also need to find out who did the remap, not sure if its someone on here selling it? The main thing is the whatcar.com valuation says £5695 for a private sale so is this really overpriced:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150627455479&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This SE is from a dealer so would come with warranty etc. Has parrot bluetooth and SE leather but apart from thats its not much different from a standard one. Still whatcar.com is showing £6900 for a dealer price?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201128402921438/sort/locasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/price-to/9000/model/fabia/make/skoda/page/3/keywords/vrs/postcode/s817ne/radius/1500?logcode=p

Are these VRS's just going for more money these days? Also which one do you think I should get?

Thanks

I have an 07 VRS with when advertised 39,000 miles on the clock. When I looked around for a guide on the price,dealers were selling them for around £9500. Mine has all the extras that Skoda fitted to the car including 17inch Alloy wheels, so OK I expected to get a better deal. I put the car on Autotrader and received one bogus response.

When I bought the car in 04/2008 it was ex Skoda with 7,500 miles on the clock, I bought it for £15800, I notice that cars with lesser speck recently and a year old with similar mileage on sale at £18,500-£19,500, car prices have not gone up, in fact some seem to have come down with all the deals that have been around.

After receiving some really poor trade in deals I have decided to keep the car and enjoy it.

Good luck guys

I have an 07 VRS with when advertised 39,000 miles on the clock. When I looked around for a guide on the price,dealers were selling them for around £9500. Mine has all the extras that Skoda fitted to the car including 17inch Alloy wheels, so OK I expected to get a better deal. I put the car on Autotrader and received one bogus response.

When I bought the car in 04/2008 it was ex Skoda with 7,500 miles on the clock, I bought it for £15800, I notice that cars with lesser speck recently and a year old with similar mileage on sale at £18,500-£19,500, car prices have not gone up, in fact some seem to have come down with all the deals that have been around.

After receiving some really poor trade in deals I have decided to keep the car and enjoy it.

Good luck guys

Correct car? (this is the Fabia I section)

The prices you are quoting sound like Octavia money to me, not Fabia. So is not really relevent due to the old diesel VRS staying popular before the new VRS petrol only came out.

Even a brand new Fabia VRS now costs less than you are quoting.

Due to a combination of not being switched on (poor night's sleep) and over-keenness to get back on the road I over-paid for mine - it still annoys me to this day (not the money, as we're not exactly talking vast sums, but the fact that I let a car salesman take me for a mug - even paid for a cambelt change on top of the price as it was due).

Haggle hard is my advice - there are plenty out there.

The SEs always make good money. Whenever one appears on our local dealers forecourt it's always gone within a couple of days. There are plenty of folk on here that would tell you that these cars are overpriced, but the fact that they sell and sell quickly suggests otherwise. If you want the SE then move fast before it goes.

Personally speaking I think the black one with xenons and leather looks like better value than the SE.

Edited by JulieD

The only difference between the 2 is the xenons and the black one says many extras but the only extras it has over a standards vrs is leather, xenons and cruise control everything else is standard the blue is a nicer colour personally but like has been said I'd be looking to get at least £500 quid off and about the cambelt if it isn't been done get them to do it or knock the money off for that 2

Well black one has had two new doors in the past on one side so could be on vcar, also 4-5 owners and no cambelt done.

SE is too far and local dealer unable to get it so only option there would be to buy it over the phone. Other options are Leon Tdi 170 FR which cost lots more money to buy and run or the Golf GT Tdi 170.

Well black one has had two new doors in the past on one side so could be on vcar, also 4-5 owners and no cambelt done.

Aye, black one sounds well sus - don't trust these 'working from home' traders. Can't even be specific about the no. of owners - five would mean changing hands on average once every 12 months - I'd go for one that the previous owner has had for a reasonable length of time - at least two years.

That black one is a very very good spec. Needs £1k knocking off the price with that many owners and cambelt being due IMO.

"every possibe extra" err no! There was Sat Nav, sunroof and CD changer available too.

I nearly bought one with Sat nav and leccy roof but was put off by the nav being faulty and extremely costly to replace.

I am considering buying the SE from the dealer over the phone and having it delivered. Just wondering how much to ask off.

Start with, "what's your best price?", then aim for another few hundred off that.

I am considering buying the SE from the dealer over the phone and having it delivered. Just wondering how much to ask off.

Start with, "what's your best price?", then aim for another few hundred off that.

Don't start with "what's your best price?" as my reply to that is "whatever your highest offer is", and a dealer won't take you seriously with that as your opening gambit. Make an offer that you feel embarrassed to make e.g. 20% off the price and ultimately aim for 8-10% off the price, but a round bag of sand off would be a decent result.

They just called back. Gave me lots and lots of talk about various people have called about car, one bloke wants it but is waiting on funds etc etc.

So far they will not budge on the price, sticking at £7995 for the SE, plus £150 delivery and £79 admin fee. Has tax till Oct and 2 previous owners. They said cambelt will be changed IF it needs doing which I think it does.

They just called back. Gave me lots and lots of talk about various people have called about car, one bloke wants it but is waiting on funds etc etc.

So far they will not budge on the price, sticking at £7995 for the SE, plus £150 delivery and £79 admin fee. Has tax till Oct and 2 previous owners. They said cambelt will be changed IF it needs doing which I think it does.

A load of old toot, they still haven't sold the car, so no matter how many "enquiries" that is the bottom line here. There is ALWAYS room for negotiation with very, very few exceptions (mint, very rare cars), if you haven't already done so phone them back and name a price you'd be happy to pay leave your details, only a schmuck would pay full price plus admin fees.

For a guide, they will have paid between £5000 (unlikely) and £4000 (more likely) for the SE, although they'll likely give you the old dealers' fanny about losing out over a trade-in :dull:

A load of old toot, they still haven't sold the car, so no matter how many "enquiries" that is the bottom line here. There is ALWAYS room for negotiation with very, very few exceptions (mint, very rare cars), if you haven't already done so phone them back and name a price you'd be happy to pay leave your details, only a schmuck would pay full price plus admin fees.

For a guide, they will have paid between £5000 (unlikely) and £4000 (more likely) for the SE, although they'll likely give you the old dealers' fanny about losing out over a trade-in :dull:

Hmmm, don't think they'll have bought it in for quite as low as £4000, and it is a good mileage so I reckon £6500 would be a realistic price, it's still more than book but at the end of the day a car is worth what someone will pay. There is one at Autosales Suzuki in Bilton, Staffs with 43k miles and its 1 owner too, up for £7495 so thats £500 less and one less owner straightaway. Please don't buy it, I may go and look at it tomorrow and its a 140 round trip for me.

cooliospoolio, I'm in Worksop too. I saw the SE you are referring too. Good luck, I'll try to use that one as a bargaining tool against the SE at the dealer. The last thing I heard when I spoke to the saleman at the dealer he was going to see what the best deal was and ring me back but never did!!! So I'll see what happens tomorrow.

@dxg its a little high on the miles side for me. Thanks tho

Hmmm, don't think they'll have bought it in for quite as low as £4000, and it is a good mileage so I reckon £6500 would be a realistic price, it's still more than book but at the end of the day a car is worth what someone will pay. There is one at Autosales Suzuki in Bilton, Staffs with 43k miles and its 1 owner too, up for £7495 so thats £500 less and one less owner straightaway. Please don't buy it, I may go and look at it tomorrow and its a 140 round trip for me.

Edited by jgm