Antenna/aerial removal

I tried to search the forums for something on this but got so many results when I searched using "aerial", that I gave up looking through them.

Just wondering if it is necessary to remove the FM radio antenna/aerial if you intend to run your MK1 Superb through an automated carwash. Had a look in the owner's manual also, but found nothing there.

Edited by Kowalski

to be honest mate, wouldn't use one of these anyway but if you want to i would recommend removing it on any car !!

Guess you're right. Bought car last week and in addition I purchased a few microfibre cloths, sponge, wax, shampoo, polish and that from Halfords. The thing is I just know there'll be an odd time when I just couldn't be bothered with doing a proper job.

On those occasions you'd think - just use one of the pressure washer systems. Thing is I'm afraid of them ever since one of them melted the rubber surround on the window of an old Mazda I used to own. :doh:

Phrased the original question wrongly though - what I need to know is how you remove the aerial or otherwise deal with it before taking the car through one of those much-maligned brush washer systems.

I tried to search the forums for something on this but got so many results when I searched using "aerial", that I gave up looking through them.

Just wondering if it is necessary to remove the FM radio antenna/aerial if you intend to run your MK1 Superb through an automated carwash. Had a look in the owner's manual also, but found nothing there.

I used to always hand wash/polish but must admit now the car and me have got to a certain age I've started driving through car washes. On my Octavia I can easily remove the aerial but can't seem to do this on the Superb.

I've had no problems with the aerial attached though but you can see brush marks on the paint at times. On my next car I'll probably use a drive through hand wash site.

• 8 months later...

Little bump to thread. Does somebody know, if it's possible to remove the antenna from the holder? It just unscrews and folds against rear window but doesn't come apart. I want to change the antenna, as somebody broke the upper part of mine.

You have to take the roof lining off the roof inside and then it unbolts.

And as above the arial does not detach, just lets you have it flat.

And as above the arial does not detach, just lets you have it flat.

Mine does! exactly the same way my Octavia did, unscrew it so it flops about and then give it a quick sharp tug and presto its in your hand. Reffitting it just a little push to get it back in place and then screw it back up tightish

Mine does! exactly the same way my Octavia did, unscrew it so it flops about and then give it a quick sharp tug and presto its in your hand. Reffitting it just a little push to get it back in place and then screw it back up tightish

Ok. Will try that. Thanks.

Hi. how did you get on with this? I've always been scared at teh 'tug it' bit, but am desperatet o change my antenna as teh radio reception is rubbish. Even something as basic as Radio 2 struggles, especially in slightly bad weather.

Cheers...