Roomster has gearbox problems

I've never change the gearbox oil by myself, is it difficult?

A step by step would be very appreciated!!! :rock:

It's very easy as long as you remember the safety precautions of having the car SAFELY raised (axle stands - not just a jack)

Obtain correct spec of gearbox oil from dealer (via TPS in UK, ask for some discount)

Give the car a run to warm up the gearbox oil (aids the draining if it is warm)

Jack up vehicle and insert axle stands.

Locate the gearbox drain plug and also the filling plug. Cannot remember if they are allen sockets or torx sockets but they are a common size (offshore just now and no access to manual or car to check)

Ensure that the filling plug can be removed before proceeding any further (it's a disaster if you drain the old oil only to find you can't get any new oil into the box !)

Remove drain plug - drain old oil into receptacle. There's only a couple of litres in there (from memory)

Replace drain plug.

Refill gearbox with new oil via filling plug until oil is level with filling plug - just starts to dribble out. You'll need to squeeze the bottle to encourage it out as it is quite thick. Refit filling plug.

Don't get any oil on yourself as it stinks like nothing else (and NOT in a good way !)

Job done. Give it a test drive and revel in the newfound smoothness and quietness of your gearbox.

Usual disclaimer applies - the above advice given in good faith (based on my own experience on these cars) but don't come looking for me if it all goes "nipples north" :happy:

Good luck.

• Like 1

It's very easy as long as you remember the safety precautions of having the car SAFELY raised (axle stands - not just a jack)

Obtain correct spec of gearbox oil from dealer (via TPS in UK, ask for some discount)

Give the car a run to warm up the gearbox oil (aids the draining if it is warm)

Jack up vehicle and insert axle stands.

Locate the gearbox drain plug and also the filling plug. Cannot remember if they are allen sockets or torx sockets but they are a common size (offshore just now and no access to manual or car to check)

Ensure that the filling plug can be removed before proceeding any further (it's a disaster if you drain the old oil only to find you can't get any new oil into the box !)

Remove drain plug - drain old oil into receptacle. There's only a couple of litres in there (from memory)

Replace drain plug.

Refill gearbox with new oil via filling plug until oil is level with filling plug - just starts to dribble out. You'll need to squeeze the bottle to encourage it out as it is quite thick. Refit filling plug.

Don't get any oil on yourself as it stinks like nothing else (and NOT in a good way !)

Job done. Give it a test drive and revel in the newfound smoothness and quietness of your gearbox.

Usual disclaimer applies - the above advice given in good faith (based on my own experience on these cars) but don't come looking for me if it all goes "nipples north" :happy:

Good luck.

Thank you tuscan30, great DIY guide!!! :beer:

The hardest part of the gearbox oil change or top up, raising the car all the way around so its level all the way round, so when filling the oil level is correct.

If I remember rightly when I checked the level last year , I raised the front of the car over filled the gearbox slightly , lowered the car to the ground, let the oil find its level, then put the filler plug in hand loose. Then raised the car up again and tightened the plug.

I know what ever I did it was all a bit of a fiddle.

Goes without saying make sure the car is properly supported (as Tuscan said ), you still see people in drive ways risking it under a car with just a single jack.

I use bits of railway sleeper as blocking, heavy but I know the cars going nowhere!

this gearbox problem seems to be on the 1.9 / 1.6 TDIs , has anyone had gearbox problems with the TSI petrol

I have a 1.2TSI with manual gearbox, and done 13500 km. I have no difficult changing gears. No problem from 1st to 2nd.

My previous car was a Octavia 1.9TDI PD, never had any problems with gearbox.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have the same issue changing gear and it turns out the the diff locking pin sheared off. The diff then wore the gear box casing away and this caused the oil to leak out hence the gear crunching from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 2nd. Mine seized up so the car won't go forward.