SKODA Octavia vRS Hits 200 Mph At Bonneville

ColinD

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the latest entry in Dickie Meadon's blog on EVO;-

"We’ve now completed our fourth active day of running on the salt and what a day it’s been. After exceeding the magic 200mph mark on Monday the Skoda team and I decided we really ought to use the rest of the week to chase our G/SP class record of 216mph.

We made a run late in the day on Tuesday evening to try some new fuelling and ECU tweaks made by Nick Kasberger from Revotechnik, a bone fide genius if ever the was one, and to also try the car without the boot spoiler. To put it bluntly removing the wing gave me the right willies. In previous runs the car had run arrow straight, but without the wing its weaving 10m or more left and right across the course from 190mph through to our eventual 5th mile average of 202mph.

Today we made another run, this time with further fuelling improvements and the spoiler back on. Up until now the car has suffered intermittent fuelling issues as it passes 6000rpm in 5th gear, resulting in me having to shift into 6th at just under 7000rpm (approx 195mph approx). This drops the motor back too far in the revs to hit the ground running in top gear, and with the salt rushing beneath our wheels at a hellish rate we simply run out of course. But not today.

It takes a few full-throttle seconds in 5th gear to I know Nick has really dialled the motor in well. Not only can I pull to 7600rpm in 5th, the motor pulls full boost (approx 24psi) in 6th. This gains us a tremendous amount of speed early in the run, so that by the time I entered the critical final timed section between mile markers 4 and 5 we were already travelling 10mph faster than I’d gone before.

It’s a strange feeling reaching down to pull a parachute release handle (mounted where the handbrake used to be) flat-to-the-boards with 215mph showing on the dash, but nothing compared to the buzz of collecting a timing ticket that shows we ran an average speed over the last mile of 214.756mph. That’s serious speed.

Now that we know the car stands a chance of taking a record the team has work to do on the car to make it comply with the strict Southern California Timing Association rules for cars that run above 200mph. There are also some tech changes required to ensure the Octavia vRS is fully compliant with the G/PS class regulations. Once these have been completed we’ll make an attempt to run in excess of the 216mph class record (late tomorrow afternoon when the air is cooler). If we’re successful we’ll then qualify for an official record run on Friday morning. It looks like we’re set for an unbelievably exciting end an unforgettable week.

We’re so close to a record we can almost touch it."

Go, go, go and GOOD LUCK. :thumbup:

laughed at ne of the yt commentspretty expletive as it's in stages 1of 5, 2 of 5 tsk, no patience. Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed the vid. Well done Skoda

Anyone able to translate this please, or is it just me? :(

Anyone able to translate this please, or is it just me? :(

No; it's not just you.

Perhaps he's got a couple of non functioning keys on his keyboard or its some form of 'txt speak'?

Just read a tweet saying that they not only made it but smashed it! 227mph! If that's true (and I hope it is) then that's a truly awesome achivement! Very proud! :dance:

Wow that would be awesome!

Just read a tweet saying that they not only made it but smashed it! 227mph! If that's true (and I hope it is) then that's a truly awesome achivement! Very proud! :dance:

Nothing yet on EVO's website; hope they update soon .....

And all done with "Greenline" wheels and front brakes,no rear brakes. I dont know about a parachute I`d want an anchor to throw out as well. Whats the Highway Code stopping distance for 220 mph?

Confirmed from Dicke, Record is 228 mph, car clocked 227.08 so Im guessing the next car has to beet 228. To take a record fron 216 up that much in the 2.0 production class is a huge achievement

Motor has stock block, pistons, cams, valves, coil packs etc. On the last run it was estimated at over 600 bhp & the psi figure is eye watering, he said "I'm astonished at how tough the Octavia has been"

vid of the 215 run, listen to the wheelspin, http://www.youtube.com/user/EVOTV

There should be a vid of the reord run on the same channel once the celebrating has stopped & the tapes are edited

And all done with "Greenline" wheels and front brakes,no rear brakes. I dont know about a parachute I`d want an anchor to throw out as well. Whats the Highway Code stopping distance for 220 mph?

Correction if I may.

They ditched the front brakes (as they wouldn't fit within the 15" wheels used).

Wheels were specific (not Greenline) 15" Steelies.

Rear brakes were retained and the parachute was the primary method of stopping; from 200 mph anyway.

Greenline connection was that they used the Greenline's Gearbox with the taller ratios allowing the speed targeted.

Well dione that team. 227 mph is amazing for a 2 litre car.

Now Skoda, let's hear about this on the news and the newspapers. Everybody needs to hear that Skoda produce the fastest 2 liitre car.....(not VW like everybody tells me my car is made by....)

Well done.

Correction if I may.

They ditched the front brakes (as they wouldn't fit within the 15" wheels used).

Wheels were specific (not Greenline) 15" Steelies.

Rear brakes were retained and the parachute was the primary method of stopping; from 200 mph anyway.

Greenline connection was that they used the Greenline's Gearbox with the taller ratios allowing the speed targeted.

Or to quote, traction was hard enoug to achieve so front brakes would have had little effect