Thinking of getting a new octavia.. should I wait though?

Hi all. New around here, and had a little read. Looks a decent forum.

Been thinking about changing my car for a while now (landrover freelander 2) decent enough car, but just not enough stotage space. (the boot is smaller than you might think)

A friend has a 2litre diesel and loves it, and I have arranged a test drive of a 1.4tsi. tempted by this model because of the cheapness of it added to the fact there is currently 20% off. We only do about 10,000 miles a year, so not great savings in going for the diesel against the added cost of that engine I don't think.

Looking at the specs available i think the elegance is probably what we'd go for in an estate body- although it doesn't look like there is a bluetooth handsfree option for a mobile..?

I knwo that there is likely to be a new model Octavia out in the next year or so..anyone think it might be worth holding off for a while unti it is out..? Nothing woring with our current car, othe than it's a bit thirsty and it is out of warranty.. so don't want any expensive bills.

Hopefully someone can advise.

Thanks.

C.

Edited by charlie71

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I believe there is a new model Octavia due out next year, and as this is likely to have an effect on second hand prices of the current model, the head would say wait. However If the price is right now ( plus extra discounts currently available) and you plan to keep the car for a while then why not let the heart rule.

Alternatively take a look at the Superb, it has an even bigger boot.

No definite news on the release date for the Mk3 yet. I wouldn't let it put you off a purchase now to be honest.

As for petrol vs. diesel, it would be a case of seeing what the price difference is between the two relevant models, then doing some fuel calcs over your projected annual mileage - obviously taking into account the more expensive cost of diesel, but offset by the better economy. Then see what the sums say emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Bluetooth should be an option, on all model levels as far as I know. If you look at the online configurator, it should be the last option listed when you get to Step 4, for optional equipment. £465 option. It certainly was this week on an SE Estate, as a work colleague was interested in one and went through the process.

It's actually quite unlikely we will see the Mk3 Octavia next year.

We still have to have the new Audi A3 before they will even consider a new Octavia.

All the information I have points towards an early 2013 release.

I wonder if 2nd values will really be hit that hard though? When the mk3 octy comes along it will be based on the mk6 Golf, although the Tsi engine range will be the same as now. And although the mk6 Golf is seen as having a better chassis to the mk5 (although not massively so), I don't think mk5 Golf 2nd hand values have really suffered markedly. Skodas are quite right seen as solidly sensible 2nd hand buys because of build quality and that won't alter with the Mk3 in a year or two.

You should be very impressed with the 1.4tsi, it has a similar power output to the old 1.6 fsi, and on an annual 10k milage I would definately go for petrol over an oil burner in terms of economy and cost :thumbup:

When the mk3 octy comes along it will be based on the mk6 Golf

Surely the Mk6 Golf is very much a Mk5 facelift, despite the hype to the contrary. A new Octy based on the Mk 6 will not be different enough to be worthwhile. (Unless maybe it has the latest Jetta's extended wheelbase).

Is the Octy 3 not based on the Golf 7 "MQB" platform?

Edited by juan27

I knwo that there is likely to be a new model Octavia out in the next year or so..anyone think it might be worth holding off for a while unti it is out..?

Got to consider that good deals are not really available on new models until 12-18 months after launch, and not all variants are available at launch, so realistically you're probably looking at 2014 for an Octy 3.

Thanks all for the quick responses.

I think it is probably sensible to change our car sooner rather than later.. especially as I am nervy about any repair costs on a 4x4..so will see what the dealer will come down to when I see them on Saturday.

1.4tsi does look good given the discount avaialable, although I would have gone for te 2ltr dieel if it was close in price.

To the poster that recommended the Superb.. lovely looking car, but is about £5k more and cant see the benefit.

Any opinion on he DSG version...? good or bad.. I hve never driven one before, but am a little tempted.

C.

If you're down at a dealer and they have a suitable DSG equipped Octy down there - go out and try it.

It's an impressive system and makes for a very good automatic- but they're not for everyone. Also depends on the type of driving you do too; would be of increased benefit if you do a lot of city driving, stop/start etc.

Agree though, the TSI with the current discount, coupled with your projected annual mileage makes it quite hard to argue against...

I have arranged a test drive of a 1.4tsi. tempted by this model because of the cheapness of it added to the fact there is currently 20% off.

Have you considered the 1.6 MPi?

Older engine, less performance, less efficient but some fantastic deals around at the moment.

My local dealer has three estate MPi's which have been around a while, I'm sure you'd get a cracking deal on what is already a very attractively priced car.

Check out this thread to see what recent owners think...

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/195119-octavia-se-16-mpi-25-off/page__hl__mpi

Surely the Mk6 Golf is very much a Mk5 facelift, despite the hype to the contrary. A new Octy based on the Mk 6 will not be different enough to be worthwhile. (Unless maybe it has the latest Jetta's extended wheelbase).

Is the Octy 3 not based on the Golf 7 "MQB" platform?

Ahh, you may well be right. I was just going on the normal way these things happen where the Octy is a year or two behind the Golf in terms of similar upgrades, and as the current Mk2 octy is based on a Mk5 Golf then I assumed that our next version would follow the current Golf Mk6, but I guess if the Mk7 is due this year then the next Mk3 Octy will follow that, and having read up on the MQB stuff it would seem that this new chassis will be the one used for dozens of VAG models in the future, including the Passat (and also I presume the Superb too)...

Much as I love my VRS if I could go back 4yr I'd get a diesel Scout. I think that is probably the best car in the range and holds it's money very well. If you can get one that is.

Those pictures of the potential Mk are nice. I like the understated classy looks. There is a bit of S60 in there at the rear to my eye.

Edited by Aspman

Not sure that's right, is it? I think that perhaps surprisingly, the Octavia has a bigger boot.

Just looking at the hatch versions there isn't much in it boot wise.

The Superb wins with its increased cabin space and huge rear seat leg room.

SkodaOctavia.jpg

SkodaSuperb.jpg

Ahh, you may well be right. I was just going on the normal way these things happen where the Octy is a year or two behind the Golf in terms of similar upgrades, and as the current Mk2 octy is based on a Mk5 Golf then I assumed that our next version would follow the current Golf Mk6, but I guess if the Mk7 is due this year then the next Mk3 Octy will follow that, and having read up on the MQB stuff it would seem that this new chassis will be the one used for dozens of VAG models in the future, including the Passat (and also I presume the Superb too)...

Don't agree with what you state with the Octy being 'a year or two' behind the Golf. The Mk2 was released around 6 months later than the Mk5 in 2004, and the facelifts around the same time. The current Golf and Octy revisions are also based on the same generation platform.

Just looking at the hatch versions there isn't much in it boot wise.

The Superb wins with its increased cabin space and huge rear seat leg room.

Those are interesting stats. Will bookmark that for future ref :) Wouldn't have thought it was going to be that close.

Don't agree with what you state with the Octy being 'a year or two' behind the Golf. The Mk2 was released around 6 months later than the Mk5 in 2004, and the facelifts around the same time. The current Golf and Octy revisions are also based on the same generation platform.

Totally agree I think its very misleading when the motoring press write about the current FL Octavia being based on the previous generation Golf.

I would be very interested to know how many of the components common to the Golf Mk5 and Octy 2 actually changed when the Golf Mk 6 was introduced, and how many of those have not found their way into the FL Octy.

It's as true as saying the Mk6 is based on the Mk5. Don't have a problem with them being consistent.

The FL is exactly that, a facelift. Not a new model. What's misleading is that the Mk6 should really be badged the Mk5FL or Mk5.5 :)

It's as true as saying the Mk6 is based on the Mk5. Don't have a problem with them being consistent.

The FL is exactly that, a facelift. Not a new model. What's misleading is that the Mk6 should really be badged the Mk5FL or Mk5.5 :)

Hmmm

Quote from MSN Cars on the Octy FL: "Underpinnings donated from the previous Golf...."

http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=147861748

Technically true perhaps, as it is of the Golf Mk6 or even the Scirocco, but try and find reviews of those where they say that in those terms.

The impression given is that the Octy is based on "old" VW Golf bits which have already been superseded. This is surely slightly misleading.

Edited by juan27

The main reason for Golf MK6 was so more profit can be made out of car by using costly german workers than keep using mk5, I read a while back mk6 takes near 17 hours less time to build than mk5.

I’ve had an Octavia Elegance estate for about a year now and I’ve very happy with it. We ended up going for a nearly new model – as such, it has the older PD diesel engine rather than the newer common rail.

I would have preferred the (more efficient and quieter) latter, but I’ve had a few diesels and the PD engine is fine – may be a bit noisier but nothing annoying or anything.

The elegance has some great standard kit, but there are three areas where Skoda seem to had missed a trick and should have put them in as standard:

1) Steering wheel mounted stereo controls

2) Bluetooth stereo capability

3) Electronically folding wing mirrors

Given that the Elegance is one of the premium trim levels I think the above really should be standard, but given the other kit and the price I can’t complain too much! :smirk:

Also, our (very good) Skoda dealer in Reading was selling a batch or nearly new Elegances which had the folding mirrors as standard anyway :)