Yeti wins comparison test in Sweeden

telecaster

Sotch me.

Waiting too long.

... but I have calculated that you are level already in costs with an equivalent petrol version Johann and it can only get better from now on. So no need to wait for 30k miles. (Please don't ask for my calculations; but I have based it upon equal spec. vehicles and manufacturer's data so not real world stuff, although I have used your c.12500 miles p.a. info from another thread).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10% more for diesel here! Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

UK Petrol Prices for

Monday 22nd Aug 2011

Avg. Min. Max.

Unleaded: 134.58p 130.7p 149.9p

Diesel: 138.79p 134.7p 154.9p

Back to school for you! From those figures, diesel is 3% more expensive than petrol, not 10%.

I think I'm right in saying that as fuel prices in general have risen, the percentage difference between petrol and diesel has actually fallen. Checking...yes, according to the AA the UK average prices in January this year were 128.3 and 132.8, making the percentage difference then 3.5%. The AA's figures for July this year make diesel 3% more. Back in December 2000 (after the fuel protests of September that year) unleaded was 80.6 and diesel 85.1, making diesel 5.5% more expensive than petrol. So by that measure, things are actually getting better!

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: Ahem. Mine is spack in the "mid thirties"!

I've always loved a TDI's torque over a petrol.

In a petrol I can't stand how you have to gear down to get the engine in the power range before it will overtake or get you in that gap...

I think you will find the modern turbo petrols are very similar to diesels now - the 1.8tsi has a level torque from about the same rpm as the diesel, and FocusZetec's will just be awesomeemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

The only real differences these days are that the diesel might have more torque, but not as much difference as there used to be, but the petrol will rev much higher and be less economical....generally. But they cost less, have more CO2's, cost less to fill up but more often, cost more to tax, and for a petrol head will be more 'fun'.emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Just come from a Seat Leon Tfsi DSg-200bhp (with a 4 pot alloy brake conversion with big rotors)of VAg's parts bin wrapped in a Spanish overcoat to my first ever diesel. So far so good. What it lacks in outright rush is more than compensated for by real comfort, a great view and lovely, surging, creamy torque. My journey times are comparable (over 6k miles since march) my fuel consumption is more than a third better and my stress levels much less. My licence is in less danger and I look forward to driving my yeti where it used to be just a means to an end.

I may even be a better driver as the Yeti favours long view ahead style planned progress rather than scorching up to the next block of traffic then storming past.

I am a convert and am musing on a 170 with the velux roof for a birthday present to myself.

Just come from a Seat Leon Tfsi DSg-200bhp (with a 4 pot alloy brake conversion with big rotors)of VAg's parts bin wrapped in a Spanish overcoat to my first ever diesel. So far so good. What it lacks in outright rush is more than compensated for by real comfort, a great view and lovely, surging, creamy torque. My journey times are comparable (over 6k miles since march) my fuel consumption is more than a third better and my stress levels much less. My licence is in less danger and I look forward to driving my yeti where it used to be just a means to an end.

I may even be a better driver as the Yeti favours long view ahead style planned progress rather than scorching up to the next block of traffic then storming past.

I am a convert and am musing on a 170 with the velux roof for a birthday present to myself.

+1

:-)

The only real differences these days are that the diesel might have more torque, but not as much difference as there used to be, but the petrol will rev much higher and be less economical....generally. But they cost less, have more CO2's, cost less to fill up but more often, cost more to tax, and for a petrol head will be more 'fun'.emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

If I recall my old 05 VRS 1.8T Petrol, I used to know that I would have to refill the tank every 8 days on average, the CR170 is without a word of a lie 14 days somethimes more, between fills ups. Unless the new TFSI is a lot better at the MPG than the old one? Also when considering on motorway or touring I find the MPG of the CR170 in a different class. Are the petrol & diesel that close in reality these days? for many who watch their funds I'd say not.

I would love to read that report. Can someone scan it and post it on here?

By the way, I'm still waiting for my 170 Elegance; ordered Nov 30th, 2010 and due for delivery last weekend. Now I'm told it is "in transit", but we are off to France for three weeks this Friday and will have to go in our five year old Fabia instead of a new Yeti. Boo hoo.

I would love to read that report. Can someone scan it and post it on here?

By the way, I'm still waiting for my 170 Elegance; ordered Nov 30th, 2010 and due for delivery last weekend. Now I'm told it is "in transit", but we are off to France for three weeks this Friday and will have to go in our five year old Fabia instead of a new Yeti. Boo hoo.

If I recall my old 05 VRS 1.8T Petrol, I used to know that I would have to refill the tank every 8 days on average, the CR170 is without a word of a lie 14 days somethimes more, between fills ups. Unless the new TFSI is a lot better at the MPG than the old one? Also when considering on motorway or touring I find the MPG of the CR170 in a different class. Are the petrol & diesel that close in reality these days? for many who watch their funds I'd say not.

All I'm saying is that the driving characteristics are much closer now, but if you don't do enough miles then the petrol makes more financial sense. If you do big miles, and I don't call what I am doing of about 15-16,000 miles per year big enough, then the diesel will cost me more overall. Otherwise I would have been tempted by a 1.8/2/0 tsi DSG. Will certainly consider next time around if the petrol DSG is available.

Mike, if your diesel DSG does 37mpg and a petrol DSG does 27 mpg then it costs you something like £2563 to cover 15,500 miles in a year and it costs the petrol owner £3410 for the same mileage. With increased residuals and a lower VED, I think you are saving already. Rather like my calculation for Johann really.

See my signature. I can only dream of an AVERAGE of 46,4mpg... and having spoken to Lee his average is about 32 mpg which is not far off mine. Yet I have to fork out more money for every litre of diesel I put in.........

BUT in saying that I do not want a manual 1,8 TSI. No thanks. I'll consider it if they make a DSG.

My Yeti was bought last week of June, I have just now 8223 kms on the speedo (ca 5000 miles)

and my average diesel is 7 liters pr 100 km just over 40 miles pr. imp. gallon.

The Maxidot says 6.7 liters pr 100 km so its a bit nicer than actual numbers from the speedo

and litres from the diesel pump.

I am usually driving hard and fast, with the aircon on, around 100 to 110 km/h on the motorways,

mostly with only two persons in the car.

the lowest average for one single day was this summer when we wnt to my sisters farm in Nothern Norway

on gravel roads and an average speed of around 60 km/h. We went 112 km that day in 28 degrees Celcius,

a really nice summer day and the average diesel used was 5.1 L pr 100 km on the maxidot. 55 miles/gallon

(I have a picture to proove it :-) )

I wonder if Johanns reported average of mid 30´s is because you mostly drive in slow and heavy traffic?

I wonder if Johanns reported average of mid 30´s is because you mostly drive in slow and heavy traffic?

Nope... Most of my 10,000 miles is long distance going camping etc. Twice to Edinburgh and beyond, Cornwall and tons inbetween. And even though I live in London I hardly venture into the worst trafficed areas at all. I use the Tube for that... so not sure why mine is so terrible. Perhaps I need it checked? Or maybe it is just the DSG? And on that note I also hardly ever have it in S either - which raises the revs and will thus use more fuel I guess.

I drive mine around South London every day emoticon-0106-crying.gif, but I still average more than Johann emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

So maybe not heavy traffic but a heavy right foot?

The missus does not drive as fast as I use to do, but she uses a lot more diesel :giggle: due to a heavy right foot !

She brakes a lot more than I do too :D

All I'm saying is that the driving characteristics are much closer now, but if you don't do enough miles then the petrol makes more financial sense. If you do big miles, and I don't call what I am doing of about 15-16,000 miles per year big enough, then the diesel will cost me more overall. Otherwise I would have been tempted by a 1.8/2/0 tsi DSG. Will certainly consider next time around if the petrol DSG is available.

I do partly agree rockhopper, I would rather have the sound of a turbo petrol under the bonnet, but at 20k miles a year it has the diesel.

And to be fair the new CR diesel is not a bad motor.

Also at the same mileage the residuals on a diesel will always be higher.

Mind you plenty of folks around who buy diesels and do a low mileage then wonder why the DPF light keeps coming on. :)

Fuzzy

And to be fair the new CR diesel is not a bad motor.

Fuzzy

The CR engine is very good, specially when remapped, you can play with it like a petrol, up to the 'low' redline (for a petrol) or high for a diesel emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Very quiet and pulls like a train up to the redline.....emoticon-0136-giggle.gif Not that I get the chance very often driving around South London most of the time at 30mph max, average generality about 10mph during the day emoticon-0149-no.gif

Personally, I prefer the diesel engine for it's relaxed driving characteristics.

Change up gear early and use the spread of torque.

When going down hill petrol engines don't have as much engine braking as the diesel and as I tend to drive "off the brakes" I like the way the diesel holds it's speed going downhill.

Especially round here coz they always seem to put speed cameras on or just after a downhill section.

Petrol engines tend to build much more speed until they reach the steady speed balance point.

( does that make sense to anyone other than me? )

Economically, considering all the factors, I would actually save money if I drove a petrol but, as I said, I just prefer the diesel.

( does that make sense to anyone other than me? )

Economically, considering all the factors, I would actually save money if I drove a petrol but, as I said, I just prefer the diesel.

Yes it makes sense and I like that feature too...

And as to the last statement: :thumbup: I don't care about breakeven points and lifecycle cost. I prefer a diesel. Just like I bought a Yeti over a VW Scirocco or any other reason I care to mention. It is just one of those things. I'll never ever buy a red car (on safety grounds) and prefer a diesel in my workhorse. :giggle:

I'll never ever buy a red car (on safety grounds) and prefer a diesel in my workhorse. :giggle:

Funny that. My wife once had a red Fiesta. I got hit 3 times in 2 years and none were her fault. (unless you could blame her for having a red car in the first place) :giggle:

She now refuses to drive any red car just in case.

I just don't like red :doh:

Yes it makes sense and I like that feature too...

And as to the last statement: :thumbup: I don't care about breakeven points and lifecycle cost. I prefer a diesel. Just like I bought a Yeti over a VW Scirocco or any other reason I care to mention. It is just one of those things. I'll never ever buy a red car (on safety grounds) and prefer a diesel in my workhorse. :giggle:

I totally agree with you Johann, after getting used to the diesel torque,

lots of power from low revs, its really hard to adjust to a petrol engine again,

even if it has much more HP.

I totally agree with you Johann, after getting used to the diesel torque,

lots of power from low revs, its really hard to adjust to a petrol engine again,

even if it has much more HP.

I took James from Allams out in Elsie the Helipad today so he could see the difference a quality remap from Shark makes to the CR140. There is just no let up in torque and power up to the redline....sit there at 3000rpm for example in 3rd at 30mph and press the accelerator and off it goes right round to the redline, just like a petrol. Smooth power delivery and all the torque and more than you need at the bottom end. 30mph in 5th? No problem. So I have the benefits of a diesel and a petrol.....emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Love it emoticon-0115-inlove.gif

I took James from Allams out in Elsie the Helipad today so he could see the difference a quality remap from Shark makes to the CR140. There is just no let up in torque and power up to the redline....sit there at 3000rpm for example in 3rd at 30mph and press the accelerator and off it goes right round to the redline, just like a petrol. Smooth power delivery and all the torque and more than you need at the bottom end. 30mph in 5th? No problem. So I have the benefits of a diesel and a petrol.....emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Love it emoticon-0115-inlove.gif

I more and amore feel that I need to take my Yeti for a UK trip and get the Shark treatment :-)

I talked to my dealer today as I collected my winter wheels and he replied to my question about

tuning that as a private person he would do it himself, but if he were to put his dealer hat on

he had to warn me about loosing the warranty. In Norway we have 5 years warranty so it will be

a long wait........

I think I have to start saving up a repair fund and just ditch the warranty :doh: