Kia Cee'd

Chris

Well, I've owned by Kia Cee'd for a week now and I thought I would share with you a quick review.

I've come from a 2.0T Volvo S60 with 180(ish)bhp. I had owned it for 18 months, in which time it has cost me several small countries to run in terms of fuel and the engine packed up in December leaving me (my dad) with a 3k bill. Unable to justify it any more I got help from my father in law to hand it back to the finance co and buy a new car.

I worked out I had a budget of around 4k after taking into account the costs associated with giving the Volvo back so I started to research. I needed economy, but a blend of power too as I do about 20k a year. I looked at loads of cars from Hyundai i20's, i30's, Ford focus, Mondeo, Vauxhall Vectras etc etc.

I got a text from my father in law telling me about the Cee'd... I thought why not, I'll go and check it out. I took it for a quick drive and was very impressed with its road holding, power and nimbleness. Did a deal and picked up last Saturday.

Here is my brief review:-

I have a 1.6 SR on a 2007 "57" plate. This model has alloys, air con, electric mirrors and thats about it. Coming from the Volvo it was a bit of a downgrade but it dosen't feel like it!

The build quality is IMO better than the Volvo, or the Superb I havee had previously. Everything feels so solid and precise. The switches are well dampened and the doors close with a almost german "thud." The seats are very supportive and great for someone like me who likes to drive "briskly" and go round corners at speed...something I didn't expect from a Kia. The seats are more comfy than that of my Volvo, again a massive deal as Volvo seats are regarded as some of the most comfortable seats made!

The entertainment system is fantastic! A really good sound, with good midrange and a great bass note. My original plans were to replace the standard kit with a aftermarket unit but having listened to the standard kit I'm very happy. I've made no alterations to the standard setup with no +1's on the bass settings etc and it sounds so sweet...I have USB and Aux in too!

The ride is firm, without being too intrusive. Show it a corner and it goes, with minimal body roll. It's almost like a grown up Citroen Saxo of my younger days! The power isn't quite there, (120bhp) but once going it is quite easy going and if you drop it down a couple of gears it will happily do some back road blasting.

Overall, I'm shocked by the Cee'd. It was a wildcard choice which has paid off. It is honestly one of the best cars I've driven in terms of value, equipment and comfort. From a brand that brought us the Rio etc, the Cee'd is one heck of a car and certainly one that Ford/Vauxhall/VAG should worry about. Plus the 7 year warranty which promises piece of mind for so long!

Overall rating - 8.5/10 (Reasons being I would like cruise control and front fogs...can be retrofitted but hmmm)

They have come a long way, as have all cars Brother-in law has a 3.5 litre petrol Sorento which he tows his double axle caravan ,the new sportage looks really cool as well :thumbup:

Wow 1.6 SR.

Watch your briskful driving!

Make sure you get the fogs! Will make it look more sporty when you have them on with sidelights. When it's not even foggy!

I don't think Ford, Vag or any other manufacturer will be worried by KIA

Thanks for your comments. To the above poster..I live in the middle of no where and as such when it's foggy I do have a need for front fogs.

In regards to the engine, yes it's not stupidly quick but it's not all about how fast it goes is it? It has enough poke to be able to enjoy a brisk back road blast without getting bored of waiting.

I haven't driven one, but after looking at one last week, I have to say the interior reminds me of the Focus II (not been in the latest one yet) and the Golf MKV. Very well screwed together with some nice material inside. Nice dash layout as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow 1.6 SR.

Watch your briskful driving!

Make sure you get the fogs! Will make it look more sporty when you have them on with sidelights. When it's not even foggy!

Wow, I'm glad i'm not as nasty as you :D

If they are not worried then they should be - and I think you'll find they are. The rate of progress at Kia is phenominal - thier products are catching up very fast with the established mainstream and, in some cases, are already exceeding them. They have class leading warranties and are hungry for market share.

If they are not worried then they should be - and I think you'll find they are. The rate of progress at Kia is phenominal - thier products are catching up very fast with the established mainstream and, in some cases, are already exceeding them. They have class leading warranties and are hungry for market share.

If you're in the market for an A-B car then you really have to look at Kia and Hyundai for value for money. 7yrs of warranty gives a lot of piece of mind.

That could quite possibly be illegal unless used correctly.

Yep, very illegal! I only use them when it is foggy!!

I have been hearing an advert for the ford focus with USB connectivity, alloys, cd player, blah blah...from only 13,500 or something..my C'Eed has everything mentioned in the advert apart from "torque vectoring" whatever that is and I paid a lot less than 13.500 and I have the 7 year warranty!!

Yep, very illegal! I only use them when it is foggy!!

I have been hearing an advert for the ford focus with USB connectivity, alloys, cd player, blah blah...from only 13,500 or something..my C'Eed has everything mentioned in the advert apart from "torque vectoring" whatever that is and I paid a lot less than 13.500 and I have the 7 year warranty!!

Kia might even be worth more than the Focus a few years down the line due to the warranty and the massive depreciation you get on Fords (with trade in value anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

I think Kia has done a great job recently, their cars look much better. A few people at work have bought Cee'd's recently.

About the warranty - you keep mentioning 7 years, but your Kia was made in 2007, so 4ish years of the 7 have already passed?

From their website:

All Kia Approved Used cars come with a minimum of a full three year unlimited mileage warranty. Buy with real confidence – buy a Kia Approved Used Car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We bought a Hyundai Coupe brand new in 2003 had it 5 years and claimed warranty twice once for alarm keyfob and other for seized rear calipers that was into year 4 of the warranty infact i could have repaireed them my self .

At the moment we are seriously considering another Hyundai or a Kia

The Octavia we have hasnt been reliable one bit so disappointing.

^^^ You talk some amount of guff man!!

it was many a time described as a great handling car and having personally had one for 5 years was fantastic handling wise.

Ours was just a 2.0 engine certainly not from the 70's that you describe infact it was made in conjunction with toyota using VVTI

• 3 months later...

If all you can do is resort to personal insults and still be wrong then if I were you i'd just say "FML".

Handling was very lacklustre, turn in was sharp but it lacked grip even on wide expensive Michelins. It also felt very unstable at speed.

And I was referring to my 1.6 2008 G4ED engined Coupe as having old tech. And it certainly felt it. Cheap and nasty, the whole car. A pig in a sequin dress. And I may have been using 1970s as just a term to say it was old.

And the VVT system had precisely nothing to do with Toyota (there's many types of variable valve timing you know, the Hyundai CVVT was a propriatory system with technical input sourced from Ricardo and Robert Bosch. It was also very rudimentary compared to Nissan's VVL and Honda's VTEC) The Beta II as fitted to your RD2/GK Coupe was Hyundai's which came out in the years ago and was fitted to the Galant etc, Hyundai up until the late 90s always used older established engines to keep R&D costs low.

I used to work for Hyundai UK's press office.

• 1 month later...

Driven 2 of these of late - both latest model hire cars with only a 1000 or so miles on the clock.

well equipped car, firmish ride and competent handling. Seats could have been better, not uncomfortable but just a bit firm and basic.

1.6 diesel engine was fine, wouldn't set the heather on fire but did what I expected.

1.4 petrol was pretty gutless I have to say. With no bottom end power what so ever it was a constant gear shift job. Car average (measured) 41 mpg over 500 hard worked miles.