Is about 430 miles to a tank of diesel about right?

Robbocop

If you are hitting a fair bit of traffic or driving enthusiastically It's OK.

I'd expect it to be nearer 500 myself though on mixed driving where you are getting a bit of open road.

mines about the same, very good compared to 260 miles for £72 in my A3, I'm not going to complain =D, but i know what you mean i would expect about 500, but i'm doing a lot of town driving, and sometimes get a little giddy (only some times) :)

I got 460 miles from my last tank (about 53 mpg) on a mixture of A-road cruising, some town and one or two spirited overtaking runs.

I think that my MAF sensor is on its way out, though (similar symptoms on previous VAG TDIs), so would expect it to be a bit better normally.

I've only had my vRS a couple of months, but the best I've got is 500 on a tankfull (55mpg). I used to be able to average over 60mpg on the same driving in my old (pre-PD) A4, but find it hard not to enjoy driving the Fabia!

Edited by gjw397

Jeeez...

I can get 380 miles out of 50 quids worth of petrol in my mpi... And that's a combination of dual carriageway, motorway and town driving (and that can be pretty lead footed - for an mpi!)...

Maybe the little thing isn't so bad after all - but definitely not as fun as doing the same mpg in a VRS of course hahaha

Mine's still rubbish - I'm returning an average of 39.1mpg driving like miss daisy most of the time. I brim the tank with around 50 litres every time but still only eek out 420 miles to the fuel light. I feel the rear brakes are still rubbing a bit though and will now look at getting a new pair of calipers for the rear :wall:

Mine's still rubbish - I'm returning an average of 39.1mpg driving like miss daisy most of the time. I brim the tank with around 50 litres every time but still only eek out 420 miles to the fuel light. I feel the rear brakes are still rubbing a bit though and will now look at getting a new pair of calipers for the rear :wall:

Hi mate, I think my brakes are sticking on too, my Dad works for Skoda and has asked me to look at the brake sensor (nder the pedal?) what was your problem?

I get 420-460 a tank, heavy right foot and alot of town driving for me.

What sort of A3?! I was getting the same in my old Focus ST2.

Hi mate, 1.6 R reg 1997, small engine trying to move a heavy car i guess?, darent put my foot down in it, just gupled fuel, does the same in my mates 1.8,

As the title suggests, thoughts please?

400-500 including the bit left in the tank when the light comes on. The number of cold starts and the length of journies drastically affects the MPG. My MPG ranges from 47-52, typically.

Hi mate, I think my brakes are sticking on too, my Dad works for Skoda and has asked me to look at the brake sensor (nder the pedal?) what was your problem?

This comes first if you already haven't:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/137832-handbrake-cable-issue-on-my-vrs/page__pid__2508142__st__140#entry2508142

I generally get 330 miles from a full tank to until the fuel light comes on, at which point the computer idicates there is a further 45 miles left... driving at no more than 2000rpm or no less than 2000rpm makes little difference :)

Edited by xxzantrix

I get about 500 miles to a tank out of mine pottering to work and back with the occasional blast. I mostly tend to drive like a granddad though, coasting up to junctions etc which will be why it is quite high compared to most. If I go on a long journey, I can get that up to 600 or more... Or if I go through a bit of a loony phase, it will soon come down to 300-400.

I only got 400 miles on the last tank-full which worked out to a calculated 45.33mpg - the fuel computer was as usual WILDLY optimistic suggesting I'd achieved over 55mpg! The problem was I'd been driving pretty economically so I don't know why it's so poor.

Edited by DRJ

For anyone working out MPG, be careful as I made the mistake a few times of converting the litres at the pump into US gallons rather than imperial gallons, which gives you a much worse read out. When I realised and did it properly, my trip computer was actually quite accurate (to within +/-5mpg).