VRS Burning oil

James I

I would get that changed then.

On a lighter note, I have been using the Fabia all day today as the Yeti is out on loan to a friend in need, I must say I have had a really enjoyable day, a few traffic light moments, steady cruise on the motorway and some twisty lanes in between, all in done 166 miles and averaged 40.4 mpg, I know when I get the Yeti back though I will be forgetting to change gear.

My left leg keeps looking for the clutch to press when I am starting the Fabia :think:

I had few embarrassing moments when I drove my 520d manual over the weekend-lost some street cred with SWMBO lol

• Like 1

I have done 500 miles now since the breather mod and just topped up with oil, dipstick had orange ball covered this morning, when it left the dealer 500 miles ago it was on the top of the hatched area, I will run another 500 miles and see if it reads the same.

Not a new thing with VAG engines - old dear's Polo (1.4 100PS) needed regularly topped up (from new). I had the same engine in a Lupo Sport and never even had to pop the bonnet to check.

Keeping an eye on oil usage is my problem. I rarely have time or somewhere flat. Topped up today for the first time in over a month to find it needed 500ml. At first I thought it was using less but since it's started getting colder it's used a bit more. Seems to be the same as this time last year. These oil threads really are depressing reading

Dammit, I wasn't aware your motor had a drinking problem as well... Insist on CTHE motor and not a reconditioned CAVA one!

I asked SUK for the new CTHE engine and the line went quiet, I was asked to hold for best part of 15 minutes to hear the reply "we were not aware of an engine code change or upgrade but we can confirm this engine will not be retrofitted to older models"

Large company communication is great.

Keeping an eye on oil usage is my problem. I rarely have time or somewhere flat. Topped up today for the first time in over a month to find it needed 500ml. At first I thought it was using less but since it's started getting colder it's used a bit more. Seems to be the same as this time last year. These oil threads really are depressing reading

I don't find the issue depressing, it is informative for all those single voices who are being fobbed off by VAG to print off the info and actually get something done, I was in this situation until I kicked off this thread that is now well over 500 posts, I have a hard copy too and every time I visit the dealer I have a copy in my folder, any suggestion of this being an isolated case, I disagree with proof, I have even got to the point where I have threads off Seat and VW forums printed off too (it is a very thick folder!)

Listen up VAG, you will have to do something sooner or later.

Mines in bits at the moment at the dealers. i was told by the dealer that my replacement is the new CTHE. Skoda rang me yesterday and confirmed with me a possible collection date and also stated this was a new engine with new parts apparently. Im not all that bothered as long as the new engine doesnt burn oil.

The oil breather mod does not work!!!

Had mine done on 8th November. I topped up oil afterwards so that oil level was 3/4 the way up hatched area of dip stick when hot. Have since driven 372 miles. Last night it took 0.625 litres to top up oil to same level, again when hot. That works out at 595 miles per litre of oil. This is actually worse than my consumption rate before the modification :sweat:

Next step is another letter to the dealer and an email to SUK. I will be expecting a new engine.

Hi guys. Can someone tell me where to find the engine code on my engine? I have had a replacement engine put in under warranty, and it is using "less" oil so far. Only done around 1300 miles on it so hopefully it will get better. The service manager at the dealer that did the work seemed to know FA about the new engine that went in....

Going to do an oil change this week hopefully to get rid of early run in oil and putting in Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 which should be good till the next service. Anything special I need for the oil change, or any tricky bits?

Mines in bits at the moment at the dealers. i was told by the dealer that my replacement is the new CTHE. Skoda rang me yesterday and confirmed with me a possible collection date and also stated this was a new engine with new parts apparently. Im not all that bothered as long as the new engine doesnt burn oil.

Brilliant! When you get it make sure you run it in for the first circa 300 miles. First 50 miles are the MOST important ones - make or break time!

The way I did it I was using manual gear shift (either paddle or stick). Let's say on 60 mph NSL road without any traffic to stay safe of course. from 30 mph in 4th-5th gear full throttle until it gets to 3.5k rpm. Do it all the time (road safety paramount!) at all speeds i.e. low speed, high gear, full throttle on acceleration. When you want to slow down do it with engine breaking on manual downshifting to keep the overrun revs at the downshift around 4k rpm and keep downshifting accordingly. That is what I did, I did it safely on normal roads without going over speed limit. Difficult bit was slowing down as it can only be done when there is no traffic immediately behind you to keep the smooth'ish progress. So far my CTHE has not used a drop of oil...

The above method is not for everybody as requires a lot of skill to do it safely. Many people here never done it and their engines do not use any oil.

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Jabo, I will now be asking for a new engine since the oil breather fix has not resolved my oil usage problem. I will follow your advice on running in when the time comes. It will probably require a day off work to ensure I don't get stuck in traffic. When did you start to exceed 4,000 rpm and when did you start taking it up to the red line? It is going to take some courage to push a new engine at full throttle from low speeds in high gears, but I get the point. Would you say that you actually did this to the point that the engine was labouring?

I did start taking it to RED line after 300 miles. I went for a drive, rather late so the roads were empty. I was doing my runni in until got 90C oil temp. Then I dropped to S and kept my foot planted through the gears - rather scary experience for the first time resulting in a manic grin at the end of it :).

When I left the forecourt I thought it is going to be difficult doing this running in but it was really simple for me. Yes, engine was labouring really hard. This is the whole point. When in low gear at low speed you open the throttle 100% it creates the max cylinder pressure pushing the rings hard against bores. This very effectively "grinds away" any minor imperfections on the liners (rings are made of harder material than bores) and creates very good seal. Some tuners swear by correct running in can give you 10% more power compared to "normally driven" engine. Not going to higher revs prevents creation of friction hot spots leading to glazing of bores and compression loss/overheating. I was doing this from stone cold engine and after 1000 miles it is perfect.

Again, not for everybody and not guaranteed it will work etc, etc, usual disclaimers :)

Think I'll have to bail out of this forum. Gutted for the people that have an issue but it's making me unnecessarily neurotic about my own car - for me it's like looking up the internet and imagining I've got illnesses I don't have.

• Like 3

Is it me...or are the posts in this thread really OTT ? :@

i agree with you my car is going in for a new bottom end on Monday i have the oil issue but i have give up on this forum ,i understand people have the right to have there say but its just so over the top ,this running it in stuff just drive the car ,the vrs is a great car i love mine it burns a little oil skoda say it is not up to there standards so i let them fix it,i use to like this forum for good tuning information but its turned into paranoid city .any way thats my say ,so everybody with a new vrs just enjoy it :rofl:
  • Like 2

I agree that the discussion on running in appears OTT. Aggressive running in shouldn't be necessary in a modern car. However, there is evidence in the forums that those who drove the car hard from day one have been less prone to oil problems. The case for this type of running in has been proven to benefit modern motorbike engines and results in optimum performance. So I for one was interested in Jabo's comments. My main reason for visiting the forum today was to report that the breather mod does not appear to have worked for on my car. I had oil consumption within handbook limits in the early months of ownership but it got much worse after around 10,000 miles. I still really enjoy the car and just want to get the problem fixed. My advice for anyone who doesn't suffer oil usage issues is not to read the oil consumption topics on the forum! :happy:

• Like 2

Agreed, it is rather reasonable to consider this as OTT, I said it myself :). Neurotic and over reactive? Perhaps yes. Doing running in for few days to have additional peace of mind and a real chance not to have an oil consumption issue - is it worth it? As it costs nothing except fuel cost, YES and YES ! So make your own choices :).

Is it necessary? Debatable to say the least as experiences go both ways.