SPEED LIMIT TO BE RAISED TO 80MPH

Octoplus

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be interesting to see how this develops, and crucially when it will actually come into force.

It's particularly relevant from a roads policing point of view. For example, will the revised limit be more strictly policed? That was always the underlying tone when this has been discussed previously. However, I can't see how they can deviate from the 10%+2 rule though, meaning it would only be possible for an offence to be committed if the driver were caught at a minimum of a verified 91mph...

I'm not sure those three arguments really stack up, in actual terms. They're soundbites and if you look at the issue in real-life terms, in actual fact a sizeable percentage are doing this speed already. It's become to 'unwritten' limit, it could be argued.

So to say that accidents, pollution and revenue will automatically rise as a result is a little far-fetched...

I'm not sure those three arguments really stack up, in actual terms. They're soundbites and if you look at the issue in real-life terms, in actual fact a sizeable percentage are doing this

Exactly and when the limit becomes 80MPH those people will just raise the bar again ..........

it wont happen same as all 30 zones wont become 20 zones !!!

the idea is to police it more to stop people then doing 90mph lol they are getting rid of thousands of coppers and as it stands there understaffed to police it now let alone anymore lol

as for above comments about it will kill more people and will cause higher fuel consumption lol that doesnt add up read that stats

Doing 80mph on a road designed for it or even one designed for 70mph will NOT increase the deathtoll.....I wish people would properly look at the accident results. I read alot of papers/car mags etc all with different "views" but the basic data still shows that the main M ways are safe........Inaproprate speed for the conditions no matter the speed limit or road type is the second biggest cause of accidents......main cause is not driving well/paying attention

P.S. will try to find link to this but the report was in a paper earlier on in the year!

P.P.S......the "extra" over the speed limit recommended before a ticket is issused is 10% plus 2mph.......but if the Police officer who books you is an ~~~~hole he will do you for 64mph in a 60mph zone even if the ACPOS recommendation is = 68mph!

110 it is then, super :thumbup:

On a lighter note, the M6 toll road is a private road in theory so why is the Speed limit limited to the National Limit surly they can make the speed limit what they want.

you pay for the privilage of driving on it

Nope sorry, it is a public road as it is open to the public.

The 10%+2 rule is only suggested best practice and each force can just apply the 10% if they like. I believe it should be raised to 80 as it's been 70 for too long now but I'll believe it when I see it!

On a lighter note, the M6 toll road is a private road in theory so why is the Speed limit limited to the National Limit surly they can make the speed limit what they want.

you pay for the privilege of driving on it

Not quite. Just because it's been privately financed, that doesn't make it a 'private road'. It's subject to the same regulations and policing as other motorways in the UK. I'm sure that myth helps them catch more people, and collect more fines. Each time I've been on it I've seen an unmarked car on the hard shoulder, having pulled someone up.

Do they want people to go faster to use more fuel?

All helps with the tax collected. :thumbup:

That's true, although I travel at 80 already and I'm perfectly happy with the fuel consumption at that speed :yes:

If they do, then they should drop the speed during rain, fog or hazardous conditions to 60 as they do on the continent.

As they've just said on the news, some inexpensive feel good news for the people. So when will we find out the catch or the negative news brewing?

<cynical mode>

Just seen this on the news.

Road safety groups are up in arms about it......In the US they raised some freeways from 65mph to 75mph and the death toll rose 30%. What exactly has this got to do with the UK? Firstly, US standards of driving is far far lower than the UK and secondly undertaking is legal.

Funny how they didn't mention accident rates in Germany compared to the UK on the Autobahns. Love how the news is impartial.

Then we have the 'green' groups, increased pollution etc etc. What about all the variable speed limits when i am forced to do 40MPH on a motorway when there is 'congestion ahead' when in truth it is 8PM and the only traffic is 3 lanes of everyone doing 40MPH. At least with 70MPH, HGV's are doing 56, trailers and caravans 60MPH etc etc so there is a variety of speed so people in the overtaking lanes are actually overtaking.

Sorry for that, rant over.

Bring on 80MPH limits!

If they do, then they should drop the speed during rain, fog or hazardous conditions to 60 as they do on the continent.

As they've just said on the news, some inexpensive feel good news for the people. So when will we find out the catch or the negative news brewing?

<cynical mode>

ChRis Huhne (who knows a thing or two about speeding) has already blurted out the catch - urban 20 mph zones. Which is a shame as my car just does not like doing 20mph and I'm used to having to do it on industrial sites.

<cynical mode>

This is something that shouldn't need to be done but should be done due to the amount of stupid people on the roads. I think that the police should be concentrating on the lack of or incorrect use of lights on cars. This time of year is worse than ever. From no lights, to side lights, side lights with fog lights on.....when in fact it is quite simple, DIPPED BEAM IS REQUIRED WHEN IT IS DARK OR RAINING! :doh:

This is something that shouldn't need to be done but should be done due to the amount of stupid people on the roads. I think that the police should be concentrating on the lack of or incorrect use of lights on cars. This time of year is worse than ever. From no lights, to side lights, side lights with fog lights on.....when in fact it is quite simple, DIPPED BEAM IS REQUIRED WHEN IT IS DARK OR RAINING! :doh:

Or the drivers side dipped bulb gone. I mean how can you NOT notice FFS?

But then I did follow some bint for 50 miles of unlit roads last winter and she had no lights on at all!

Or the drivers side dipped bulb gone. I mean how can you NOT notice FFS?

But then I did follow some bint for 50 miles of unlit roads last winter and she had no lights on at all!

And you flash them and/or flick your lights on and off and they think you are some sort of insane maniac! :no:

Tbh I'm against this new limit. Reason being, more people I think will try and drive past their skills therefore having accidents. That and tbh, I'm a tight arse and sometimes trundle along at 60mph on the motorway to save money.

Tbh I'm against this new limit. Reason being, more people I think will try and drive past their skills therefore having accidents. That and tbh, I'm a tight arse and sometimes trundle along at 60mph on the motorway to save money.

You don't have to do 80mph. You will still be allowed to do 60mph. TBH most people do 80mph nowadays. When i am overtaking (2 lane motorway on my route to work) doing 70-75, people usually come up my backside pushing me out the way.

DIPPED BEAM IS REQUIRED WHEN IT IS DARK OR RAINING! :doh:

I know it's stupid but it isn't, only side lights are obligatory if it's a 30mph and there is street lighting.

I think it should be mandatory for dipped lights whenever the car is moving like Sweden.