"Different" Driving School Cars...?

curleybar

Around Folkestone there's a MK1 vRS Ferbi, in Gillingham ther's a MK 2 Monte Carlo Ferbi and I've seen several Citroen DS3's,

We have a few odd ones round here

A mk1vRS

A BMW 1series, which replaced the instructors ageing 3 series

A couple of Audi A3s which are run by a posh driving school after the private school pupils of the 6 private schools around here.

About 3 years ago there was an instructor, now retired, who used a Land Rover Freelander and taught lessons in all weathers.

His pupils still didn't get to take tests in the snow though.

Oh, and you're right. DSG is counted as auto for licensing purposes as it has no clutch pedal.

When I was in Lund, Sweden, a few years ago I noticed a driving school was using a fleet of 3-series BMWs. You can see some of them on Google Maps streetview at the back of the railway station, (pan left to see another three), and I've just found their website, (view using Google Translate - makes for interesting reading).

• 4 years later...

Thread revival!!

Normally i see Audi around as 'Bill Plant' Driving instructor cars.

http://billplant.co.uk/driving-instructor-cars.php

I have seen today 2 x 65 plate BMW Series 1 with Bill Plant Roof Identifications,

no idea if this is a change over or just individuals preferences.

(no idea if petrols or diesels as i never managed to spot that.)

EDIT.

Now i see about the BMW's

http://billplant.co.uk/BMW.php

Anyway,

What do you use as an Instruction car, or do you see that might be out of the ordinary as a Professional Instructors car?

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

One chap near me has a Prius.  I wonder if he is trying to get his students to drive so it runs on electric for the majority of the time, if that's even possible.

Like above we get a lot of A1s from Bill plant. I learnt in a standard 1.4 Corsa, I've seen a Fiat 500, and another from Bill plant was a big Audi, either a Q3 or Q5, can't remember. JSM use Mk 2 Fabias as their learner cars for both normal licenses and trailer licenses.

Fiestas and corsas are standard fair around our way, though my first couple of legal lessons were from a guy using a 1.4 civic (2001). He still uses them, changes it every couple of years. Its a good idea - the civic appeals to the bulk of the wannabe boy racers... so he tends to get a lot of the "i just did my theory test can i have some lessons please" business

So all of the driving lessons ever taken?

Bad phrasing... shouldve been more specific..

"I iz a 17yr old lad what thinks a standard civic is the greatest car ever made coz i can put a body kit on it and drive around town all day, gurlz wil tink iz a pure legend.... can i learn in yours?" You know demographic to whom i refer :)

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 1

Bad phrasing... shouldve been more specific..

"I iz a 17yr old lad what thinks a standard civic is the greatest car ever made coz i can put a body kit on it and drive around town all day, gurlz wil tink iz a pure legend.... can i learn in yours?" You know demographic to whom i refer :)

Wanna be boy-racers that haven't thought it through :D

• Like 1

Way back when I learned to drive( somewhere just after the red flag was abolished I feel now), my driving school had a mix of cars, as looking back now, I suspect they taught after the test. Normally it was a mini 1000, but occasionally they let me loose in a Lotus Cortina ( MK1).

At the bottom my my MIL's road is a bloke who does driving lessons in a R class Merc.

Not the same thing but on my way down there on Wed and shortly after I came off the M11 there was a 2014 Range Rover Evoque with "L" plates on?

Not the same thing but on my way down there on Wed and shortly after I came off the M11 there was a 2014 Range Rover Evoque with "L" plates on?

Yeah, i know its really just a freelander, but i have seen L plates on some cars over yrs that i cant help thinking that is a ridiculous car to learn how to drive in..

The thing is people that have driven for years can display L plates.

Say they passed their test or have not passed a test abroad and do not hold a Full UK / EU Driving licence, 

only a Provisional Licence.

I know of people that have moved to Scotland and only ever driven Left hand drive Automatics and have taken driving lessons and sit a UK test

because their company required them to before they got to drive company vehicles.

I also see young and older people driving some rather nice cars with L plates on because that is what the family or they own.

Young people can have plenty of dosh of their own or parents with it.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Yeah, i know its really just a freelander, but i have seen L plates on some cars over yrs that i cant help thinking that is a ridiculous car to learn how to drive in..

It could be used by instructors to do Towing Lessons as you don't automatically get towing entitlement when you pass your test these days( not sure when they changed the rules...)

In the Netherlands I used to only see driving instructors with larger cars, mainly BMW and Mercedes etc Not sure if perhaps they have a requirement to display ability to drive in something of a certain size rather than the smaller more easily manoeuvred vehicles? Interestingly in the Netherlands officially a learner can pay (if 18 or over) with sexual intercourse. Gotta love the Dutch, imagine doing your tax returns for that one  :thumbup: