DRONING BACK END

Mate thought noise in his 2009 octy was from front end but its a consistant drone from rear of car even when coasting etc, any ideas? and no, its not from a back seat driver

hasnt got the wife in the back has he ???

Seriously probably Tyres or wheel bearing

Swap tyres front to rear, if nothing changes it rules out the tyres

Edited by Stuart_J

changed tyres over and now gets noise from front when turning so it must be tyres ie directional type,, he always gets car checked over and fixes faults asap so he was baffled.thanks for advice

Suspension alignment/geometry needs adjusting on the back, otherwise it will start to happen again now that the tyres have been swapped.

As said, plenty of info already on the forum for this issue.

Also some brands of cheap tyre make a sound when nothing is actually wrong. I bought a Sunny, and noticed a drone straight away.

Put it on the rear and the sound went with it, but "further away" so not a nuisance.

Also only noticeable at slower speeds.

Actually, though many will sneer at the brand, it is proving pretty good - no slip, or any bad behaviour, wet or dry, and under £50 fitted. Don't know how long it will last but my mileage is so low it probably doesn't matter!!

Edited by ednmra

Also some brands of cheap tyre make a sound when nothing is actually wrong. I bought a Sunny, and noticed a drone straight away.

Put in on the rear and the sound went with it, but "further away" so not a nuisance.

Also only noticeable at slower speeds.

Actually, though many will sneer at the brand, it is proving pretty good - no slip, or any bad behaviour, wet or dry, and under £50 fitted. Don't know how long it will last but my mileage is so low it probably doesn't matter!!

I also have experience of "Sunny". My dad had a set fitted on his Focus and now it sounds like his boot is full of Tibetan Monks "Mmmmmmmmmmm". Very intrusive around the 40ish MPH.

The tyres are pretty good otherwise as you say. He has done about 8K on them so far and they still look like new. Tread patern is very similar to the old Goodyear Eagle F1's (which I had fitted previously)

I also have experience of "Sunny". My dad had a set fitted on his Focus and now it sounds like his boot is full of Tibetan Monks "Mmmmmmmmmmm".

Well, Sunny tyres ARE Chinese !

Edited by ednmra

I also have experience of "Sunny". My dad had a set fitted on his Focus and now it sounds like his boot is full of Tibetan Monks "Mmmmmmmmmmm". Very intrusive around the 40ish MPH.

The tyres are pretty good otherwise as you say. He has done about 8K on them so far and they still look like new. Tread patern is very similar to the old Goodyear Eagle F1's (which I had fitted previously)

Probably a hard compound so will wear well, lets just hope they grip well in an emergency situation as thats more important than wear rate !

I was offered some Chinese winter tyres last year & trawled for test reports, concluded they were excelent in snow but deathrtraps in the wet so obviously didnt proceed

One last question, when you said he changed the tyres over, was that from rear to front, or right rear to left rear etc.?

Rears to Front, says its little bit noisier at front end on smoother road surface.

Edited by GBLAF

Well its obvious as earlier member has stated, that it is tyre related and not mechanical, so remedy simple, replace tyres.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

And sort out the geometry so it wont do it again

+1

No point just swapping the tyres. As the issue has been caused by incorrect rear suspension settings, the car will only chew through the next set of tyres as well, if the setup is not altered!