IsoFix on a 2011 Octavia Estate?

Hey guys,

I have a 2011 11 plate octavia estate (1.6 MPI - Sorry). What i was wondering, is if anyone know s whether the ISOFIX system detaches on side-impact to allow the child NOT to be hit by the offending vehicle/bodywork etc.

Anyhelp would be appreciated,

Stuart

AFAIK ISOFIX is designed to fix a child seat rigidly to the car chassis. It shouldn't break away in the event of a crash, side impact or otherwise. I'd have thought the that risk to a child tumbling at speed through the passenger cell would be worse then being hit by the incoming side of the car while secured inside a good seat.

Some seats, like the Recaro baby seats, have features specifically to protect the child during side impacts.

t should not break on side impact as the child and the seat would fly on the oposite side of the car. Thats why e baby seats at least the decent ones have side impact protection for the head.

As above, I sincerely hope it doesn't detach! ISOFIX will stay in place which is what it is designed to do. It's also impossible for one side to come undone for the seat to swing round (if that's also what you meant due to the very nature of how the isofix system works and how it anchors in.

Guys,

Sorry, I should have explained. We were at a baby faire at the weekend, at were listening to a talk by a car seat safety rep. I think he was a recarro rep, but I'm not sure.

He meantioned that ISOFIX in some german cars, slides (controlled) along a rail in the back side - I was just wondering seeing as our Skodas are VW, whether ours did. I'll have to investigate what the guy was meaning.

As for the 1.6MPI - I absolutely love it - 18k of car for 12k is a good deal, as far as I'm concerned you can't beat it. I just see so many Vrs's etc on here....

Cheers for the replies,

Stuart

My guess is he was talking about the seat unit being able to move a little laterally along it's base (which has the isofix on it).

Probably a seat specific feature.

I have a BeSafe Izi Kid Isofix (or some such) rear facing seat in the back of mine and if a side intrusion of another car managed to reach as high as the main seat unit it would have to be one massive accident.

But if the seat slides sideways, then if the back door is hit on side impact, the baby will slide towards the door that is impacted.

If you have a IsoFix base then the base slides out without being unhooked, helps with hooking initially to the isofix then it goes back fully. The Isofix hooks are probably 1,5 x thicker then the ISoFix base seat hooks so there is a little space for moving sideways but we're talking millimeters.

Guys,

Sorry, I should have explained. We were at a baby faire at the weekend, at were listening to a talk by a car seat safety rep. I think he was a recarro rep, but I'm not sure.

I've got the Recaro Young Profi Plus and the ISOFIX bas system.

It doesn't do any sliding sideways.

It's a good seat and works well with the Octy (it's the recommended seat I read somewhere) even better the colours match the VRS! It doesn't fit so well in other cars. It was a bugger to get in SWMBOs Ibiza.

http://www.recaro-seats.co.uk/child-seats/young-profi-plus.php

But if the seat slides sideways, then if the back door is hit on side impact, the baby will slide towards the door that is impacted.

To be pedantic, the baby would tend to remain stationary while the car is pushed sideways in to him/her. Ye canna defy the laws o' physics Jim.

Edited by gregoir

I would never put my kid in a recaro seat, they dont get that good a review un like the car seats they make. my isofix seat also has the seat belt hold the base down for the event of a roll over, so theres no chance of a sideways movement.

To be pedantic, the baby would tend to remain stationary while the car is pushed sideways in to him/her. Ye canna defy the laws o' physics Jim.

No it would not. The OP asked does the seat slide on the rails i.e goes horizontally on impact which if it did it would go right the way it got hit. Nothing stationary about sliding seats.

I have always been a little concerend about how rigid isofix systems are, having worked in the steel industry for many years, sometime flexing is a good thing.

However, since last Friday when someone ran into the side of me, I was grateful to have the BeSafe Izi combi X3. Did it's job and littlen is all fine. 2 and half and on a trip to drayton manor today was telling us all about the bad man who crashed into her door and set of the airbags :-)

B

p.s. As for sideways movement, this would be rediculous, in a big impact with maybe 2 car seats and a young child in the middle they would be crushed....

Edited by bandrew465

I've seen a Dutch Golf that a seat that incorporates some kind of load limiting. There was a metal frame that attached to the isofix points and the seat attached to that. From what I saw the seat can only move a few inches laterally and forward in a crash.

I asked the owner about it. It cost 400 Euro.