Warning: Fabia Door Leaks

I sealed my nearside rear door with the help of self tappers back in March (page 18). Since then there have been many heavy showers and my carpet is bone dry! Thanks to micklecats for acknowledging and using the idea, hopefully others will also benefit.

You are most welcome :)

I reckon a 'sill' on the inside of the carrier would give a permanent fix, as its the water running down the carrier and onto the foam seal that causes the problem - from there it seeps through the gaps.

If the water can drip off the inside face of the carrier before it reaches the seal it will then just run into and out of the door as intended.... but I CBA to strip mine down for no good reason :)

thanks for the link and the advice, just got back from work to find my rear o/s door panel soaked so followed the above link and siliconed it about 5 mins ago gonna wait til tommorrow for the results fingers crossed it dunt **** down ( put bin bag over the windows so it leaks down the door as oppposed to the innner window) cheers again!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys, the wife got it all missing up again today. We are going to try all the stuff out check and get the hoses on the seals. In the mean time ive got some anti misting to put on the windows. The dealer said tobring it in when it happens so if all else fails its over to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought an 02 estate, looks like mine has the same problem so its door strip time......I just see it as an excuse to get to know the car better as theres nothing you can do about a design fault is there SKODA lol

Thankfully this isnt my first Skoda, had a Fabia 1.9SDi about 6 yrs ago which didnt show this problem, then an OctyII which had no probs in four years(what a car) so not too worried about coming back to fabia ownership

Hi, Just noticed my Fabia rear wells are saturated. Found this site, brilliant, but don't have time to read all blogs. Seems the answer is silicone sealant, but just where abouts do you put the sealant around the doors??

Hi, Just noticed my Fabia rear wells are saturated. Found this site, brilliant, but don't have time to read all blogs. Seems the answer is silicone sealant, but just where abouts do you put the sealant around the doors??

Don't use silicone, it won't set when the surface is wet, and you'll struggle with getting the doors completely dry at this time of year! Roof and gutter sealant, or other such plumbing materials are the weapon of choice these days!

Don't use silicone, it won't set when the surface is wet, and you'll struggle with getting the doors completely dry at this time of year! Roof and gutter sealant, or other such plumbing materials are the weapon of choice these days!

I agree, use gutter sealant it is more flexible and will stick to the surfaces (door and carrier) when damp - this is the stuff Skoda uses. Make sure you put plenty on the joint and spread it between the surfaces using a plastic card.

BTW silicone sealant uses the moisture from the atmosphere to cure (set) - it just doesn't stick very well to the damp surfaces.

What Bezzy said, I've had my curtain on for a few weeks now and nothing is getting in. Not had chance to seal the doors yet, hoping to get it done this week.

Curtains = plastic bag and a few clothes pegs - hang from door storage so that the bag gets trapped on the door seal when you close the door. Theres a picture on the forum somewhere, have a search for it.

Guys is this the same for the front doors?

Just noticed mine is leaking on the drivers side when i park up on the car.

front door is exactly the same, except for the drivers side, where you have the switches for electric windows and stuff. This can be a bit of a nightmare to get out without the proper tools. There's a clip at the back which is difficult to release, but it can be done!! Perserverence is the key!

Curtains are on this thread somewhere, but you'll have to search through the pages. Grr666 posted a pic up IIRC.

Just checking folks, do I really need a door trim removal tool or can I just use a large flat head screwdriver?.....and be prepared to buy some door clips lol

Don't need a door trim removal tool, screwdriver will do, but I'd wrap it up first for the sake of the paintwork underneath! Something plastic would be better.

pikey homebrew clip puller i made... lolz

IMG00229-20110825-1923.jpg

Really wish I'd thought of that! I carried out my leak repair last night and broke all the clips when either removing the door card or removing the clip from the metal door itself.

Just need to test it's all water tight and then refit door cards.

Thanks for all for this very helpful topic.

Done mine today, only partly broke two clips using the scewdriver with tape round method. Could see how badly worn the one door seal was, 45 min job in total, least with the current weather the sealant set quick, will wait for the next lot of rain to see if its worked. Cheers for those who have posted advice and it is a useful write up on vrs.com(may be wrong but you know which site im on about lol)

I don't suppose anyone here has managed to get a repair done for free outside of their warranty?

It's clearly a common problem and they're denying that it's a problem so they can apparently charge £100 per door?

I have an 06 Fabia and have had condensation issues since 2009 - been wondering what the problem was since then, it's only recently I noticed some black "gunk" near the rear passenger door, cleaned it off and realised it was rubber or similar. A little more googling brought the problem up clearly.

To me it seems like an inherent problem with the Fabia's seals and surely means anyone with the problem has a case for claim in accordance with the sale of goods act? Just wondering if anyone has tried this and how did they get on?

I'm useless at doing my own repairs so am a little reluctant to try do it myself...

Thanks in advance.

I don't suppose anyone here has managed to get a repair done for free outside of their warranty?

It's clearly a common problem and they're denying that it's a problem so they can apparently charge £100 per door?

I have an 06 Fabia and have had condensation issues since 2009 - been wondering what the problem was since then, it's only recently I noticed some black "gunk" near the rear passenger door, cleaned it off and realised it was rubber or similar. A little more googling brought the problem up clearly.

To me it seems like an inherent problem with the Fabia's seals and surely means anyone with the problem has a case for claim in accordance with the sale of goods act? Just wondering if anyone has tried this and how did they get on?

I'm useless at doing my own repairs so am a little reluctant to try do it myself...

Thanks in advance.

I was quoted by the dealer £120 to do all doors if I had to pay. They said they would decide if to charged me once they saw the car. I did it myself in the end as it was quicker than driving the 20 miles to the garage and I knew it would be done correctly. Cannot really go wrong as the sealant is all hidden by the door card.... just smear it over the joint and spread with an old credit card.

You would need to go to Small claims court to argue that point and I doubt it is worth it especially as the car is almost 6 years old. I was willing to go down that path with my 3.5 year old Octavia and the failed ABS pump but that was going to cost £1500 to fix.

PM me if you are in the Leicester area and I will help you do it.

• 5 weeks later...