Warning: Fabia Door Leaks

Hi All,

I had a go at doing my passenger side rear door today. Noticed that it was a bit damp in there a few weeks back. I got a trim removal tool from Halfords which worked a treat.

I then took a little trip to BnQ to get some supplies.

Once I got the door card off, the first thing I noticed was that the fix had already been done before; in fact it had been done on all my doors but this one appears to have failed.

So I set about removing the sealant which was less than fun. Managed to cut out most of it with a knife and flathead screwdriver. Once I had done that I used silicone sealent remover to remove the little bits left stuck on which worked an absolute treat on the bits left over. Then I re-sealed using Unibond Roof & Gutter Sealant. I then re-assembled the door.

A little bit of the carpet had started to come alive with mould so I cleaned it up using vanish oxi-action fabric and carpet clener and borrowed the wives hairdryer to dry out the carpet afterwards. Next I sprayed some Simoniz Trigger Odour Neutraliser And Disinfectant over the carpet (whole car) to make sure any mould stays away.

I then put some insulating tape across the bottom of the Window outside to block any rain from getting in for a few days while the sealent cures.

Lastlly, I bought a Bell Moisture Mate from Halfords which is a very popular caravan accessory that is used to soak up humidity and dampness in your caravan or home. I Velcro'd this to the footwell for now to soak up any moisture left.

Now just time to sit back and see if it has worked! B)

Decided to have a go at my rear offside door this week. It had failed - proof was after pouring a jug of water down the window whilst the door was closed. When I tried with the door open the leak point was less noticeable.

I didn't remove the old sealant put on by Marlborough Skoda, just caked on gutter and roof sealant from ScrewFix. The sealant used by Skoda has a black solid feel to it, completely different to the gunk of gutter sealant!

So I'll see how this goes. What I had noticed was that Skoda had only re-attached the door card with the 2 clips they hadn't broken...I had bought a pack of 10, got 4 left, and will be buying more if the seals go again.

I'm glad i've done it myself as its an easyish job with the right tools.

Also just be careful when prising out the tweeters, its easy to break the clips closest to the door hinge like me..

I left the tweeters in on mine. Left door card propped up on the seat so didn't have to take it off. :thumbup:

You should have cleaned out the old seleant matey. Just putting it over the top will not create a good seal as the water will leak in behind it from the old broken seal.

Luckily only had 1 broken clip so didn't bother getting anymore.

I left the tweeters in on mine. Left door card propped up on the seat so didn't have to take it off. :thumbup:

You should have cleaned out the old seleant matey. Just putting it over the top will not create a good seal as the water will leak in behind it from the old broken seal.

Luckily only had 1 broken clip so didn't bother getting anymore.

Didn't you have to undo the plastic torx screw behind the tweeter?

Maybe I will have to do it again but here's hoping not :S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Skipped to the end of this thread, and im not sure if this has been mentioned. however, VW in the golf IV use butyl rope for the carrier seals. This is the stuff you need to seal them up! The felty rubber shyte is just that, and persihes over time, obviously skoda werent to know that, that area of carrier was going to get wet enough to dissolve it.

Butyl rope is cheap and VERYY sticky, it also doesnt break down, and let's you remove the carrier if needs be.

Ebay linky. Should be enough to do all the doors all the way around.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUTYL-SEALING-ROPE-WATERPROOF-MEMBRANE-4-7M-x-10MM-/130405795029?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e5cca84d5

Aww, if only I'd known! I cheated and sealed mine up with sikaflex lol. I knew it was a risk but it was all I had to hand and I was so sick of the inside of my windows being frozen every morning that winter because the inside of the car was so damp. here's hoping I don't need to get them off any time soon!

I'd suggest that sealant is MUCH easier to apply than that sealant strip mentioned ESPECIALLY if your door carriers are riveted on...

I sealed mine up a year ago but it still leaked. I resealed them the other day and actually found it to be leaking from the rubber grommet on the rear where the bowden cable from the rear handle comes through the carrier. The front also leaked and was found to be coming from the speaker adapters so sealed them up to. Both were sealed with plumbers gold and seem to be spot on now.

Just did the carriers on my new (05 plate) fabia today. They were leaking on both sides at the rear doors. Pretty easy job, and I used the 'use anywhere, wet grab' stuff. Hopefully they're sealed now?, just need some rain to confirm it.

Unfortunately I now need about 8 plastic door card clips! (ordered), and a new door tweeter grille that I broke the tab on! :devil:

I also took it for 2 new tyres today and wheel alignment........ and had to pay 50 quid for a new tie-rod at the same time. Oh well, only had her a few days but still quite happy with her so far! :)

Well, 24 hours later..... had plenty of rain over that period, and all looks good!

Checked the rear doors a couple of times today, and can only see water on the outer sill, not around the door seal bottom.

Happy days! :thumbup:

I didn't think my 2004vRS suffered from leaky doors - because the carpets were always dry - but having now successfully mended the 2007vRS I realise the earlier one DID leak. That one still suffered occasional bouts of windows being steamed up whereas the current one has remained very dry inside since I did the other door in the Autumn. So if you're suffering from moderate to severe condensation I'd suggest doing the doors even if the carpets appear to be dry.

• 2 weeks later...

I did mine with cheap Wickes Roof & Gutter Sealant last year. It seems to have worked. It does not look neat but if you stick loads of the stuff into the recess of the old seal and surrounding rivets it should work. I replaced all the door card clips at the same time with the newer ones, as they have a better plastic seal around them than the older type.