Electric Windows weird Behaviour Update

Lorenzo

Source: Quattroruote Skoda Owners Forum (Italy)

http://forum.quattro.../225/52538.page

----------

As to the faulty behaviour of rear (and less often front) electric windows on a good number of latest roomster models, Skoda Italy's technical personnel has inspected one of the most serious cases, piece by piece.

As to them, the most likely explanation is a defective windows control electronic unit. Since (they say) this chip cannot be re-programmed, Skoda-VAG engineers are preparing a modified chip or thinking of an equivalent solution. No mention about production times.

Stay tuned emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Many thanks for keeping us up to date with this. I may have an issue with the rear drivers side window (opening and closing behaviour is not consistent) so it will be good to have an official response before I go to the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

Took it in today and they ran a diagnostic, which showed the windows had been playing up. There is a software update available which they are going to do for me :thumbup:

I also asked about the kangarooing which its done 4 times in the last month and some rough running like a mis-fire. They said the diagnostcs says everything is good and that its probably the DPF regen, Ill keep an eye on that as its surely not that bad to cause such poor running?

The electric windows in my wife's Roomster don't work when the weather gets cold or heavy rain for a few days. she is reduced to driving through the winter without the use of her windows and having to open the door if she needs to speak to anyone. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure?

Took it in today and they ran a diagnostic, which showed the windows had been playing up. There is a software update available which they are going to do for me :thumbup:

Can you tell us something more about the update? It is recent? It is meant for this particular issue or for other purposes? Can you ask the service guys?

THX emoticon-0100-smile.gif

This could be the issue I have , been driving me mad ! Drivers window does not work on auto up or down, also neither front windows will operate if the drivers door is open even when the engine is running . The passenger electric mirror now won't work, and the red light for the alarm in the drivers door does not work, and finally the button to de activate the interior alarm is on red all the time and will not re set !!!

I brought a skoda as I had lots of trouble with electrics on my scenic ...... It's not like I live in a rainy place, only sunny Essex !!

Are my probs linked at all ? Gonna book it in but don't want to get stung by a dealer as its now 4 yrs old and out of warranty .

This could be the issue I have , been driving me mad ! Drivers window does not work on auto up or down, also neither front windows will operate if the drivers door is open even when the engine is running . The passenger electric mirror now won't work, and the red light for the alarm in the drivers door does not work, and finally the button to de activate the interior alarm is on red all the time and will not re set !!!

I brought a skoda as I had lots of trouble with electrics on my scenic ...... It's not like I live in a rainy place, only sunny Essex !!

Are my probs linked at all ? Gonna book it in but don't want to get stung by a dealer as its now 4 yrs old and out of warranty .

Your problem sounds very similar to the one I had and it turned out to be the wiring loom in the door had been fitted too tight and had partly disconnected. My dealer said it was a known problem and fixed it under warranty.

I took mine back as the rear windows especially wouldn't come up sometimes and never with one-touch (car was built May-11), which they resolved completely (for now at least) by simply lubricating the window runners. Maybe deeper problems are lurking.

Hi fellow Roomsters, :wonder:

I have had this same problem for a number of months. With our Roomy (which has front electric windows only) we are now nervous to open the driver side window at all, as some times it will stick in the open position (which at this time of the year is no joke) and despite repeated switching of and restarting it does not close or it will stutter a few times then stops again.

With the upate/software issue that Lemon Vrs refers, is that for the new 1.6 Roomster only or does it refer to all Roomsters. With regard to replacing a window electronic control unit, would appreciate if one of our knowledgable members could confirm what is actually required for replacement (with possibly a part no/s.) and what is involved in the replacement (or if its a wiring loom issue does it need to be taken into a Skoda garage).

Eddie :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, mine are now fixed and I have some info that should help everyone.....

There is a software update available now to sort the issues of the remote not operating the windows and the failure of the one touch. This was done to my car and the diagnostics said in principle the windows should work! They however did not :giggle:

The dealer then said that a service bulletin has been issued in September 2011 and refers to the actual window runners. Apparently these can become dislodged or even break and appears to be a manufacturing issue that affects the rear windows. The fix is to remove the window and check the runners, if they are fine then they have to lubricate them with a detergent solution and replace, ensuring they fit properly especially towards the B pillar. If broken then replacement is needed.

Anyway this issue can cause the windows to stick, judder or even go down when theyve gone right up. I think the fronts would benefit from similar treatment as they arent as smooth.

Mine are now working perfectly and run up and down both smoother and quieter than ever, well done Skoda and my dealer for sorting this.

The electric windows in my wife's Roomster don't work when the weather gets cold or heavy rain for a few days. she is reduced to driving through the winter without the use of her windows and having to open the door if she needs to speak to anyone. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure?

I have experienced exactly this problem. Sometimes going on a long journey and running the air con to dry things out helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Front windows now fixed for the third time in 2 years on my 56 reg roomster. New control unit and motor fitted by local garage cost £222 a lot less than main agent would charge this is the second motor in just on 2 years.is it time to change car brand? I wonder

Just got a 10 plate Roomster, windows work fine but I'm getting nervous. Reading this thread it seems they would benefit from a little detergent solution in the runners, plus removing the driver's door inner trim and squirting a little WD40 at the connectors etc.

Any thoughts please?

Just got a 10 plate Roomster, windows work fine but I'm getting nervous. Reading this thread it seems they would benefit from a little detergent solution in the runners, plus removing the driver's door inner trim and squirting a little WD40 at the connectors etc.

Any thoughts please?

If ain't broken, don't fix it emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Well a bit of detergent and lubricant on rubber rings hardly killed anyone....emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

• 1 month later...

My 10 plate roomy had new control boards on both rear windows(or something similar). Plus a new motor on the drivers side rear window. this has sorted all the issues with my windows. Hope it lasts. At least now i am confident that the rear windows no longer have a mind of their own.

My 10 plate roomy had new control boards on both rear windows(or something similar). Plus a new motor on the drivers side rear window. this has sorted all the issues with my windows. Hope it lasts. At least now i am confident that the rear windows no longer have a mind of their own.

Getting back to the software fix, I just had serviced my '11 tsi 105 Roomie and the Service Boss confirmed there are no software updates for my MY. Moreover, he added software updates to the main ECU do not affect electric windows behaviour, since they have their own control units and sensors.

@LEMONVRS

Is your Roomster a MY '10? It could be the reason why it received an ECU update.

BTW, when you UK friends write '10 plate', do you mean your car has been registered in 2010 (and so on)?

Cheers!

Edited by Lorenzo

BTW, when you UK friends write '10 plate', do you mean your car has been registered in 2010 (and so on)?

Cheers!

Yes, that's right. 10 indicates the first half of 2010, 60 is the second half of 2010.

11 is 2011, 61 is second half 2011.

That is the second half of the registration year is 6 plus last digit of the year.

Before 2010 it was different. 05 was 2005, second half 2005 was 55 and so on.

Edited by bryanb

Lorenzo, my Roomy is registered in 2011 and was built in April 2011, so must be an MY11? Ive seen the service update for the window ECU and the possible problems with the runners so it does exist! All windows have been fine since.

Lorenzo, my Roomy is registered in 2011 and was built in April 2011, so must be an MY11? Ive seen the service update for the window ECU and the possible problems with the runners so it does exist! All windows have been fine since.

Yes, it should be a MY11, just as mine. I have no reason for not believing what you write, I must therefore think the workshop boss was not well informed about it. And, I did not insist on further explanations, it is months since the last time I noticed the rear window problem. If it happens again, I will surely ask for more information and for that particular update.

What you write could be indeed good news for other roomster owners with bigger problems. Actually, I have already quoted this thread several times. emoticon-0105-wink.gif