dsg performance claims

Hi,

I'm am currently in the process of ordering a replacement for my current car and would very much like a new VRS with the tsi engine and dsg gearbox. I am a little confused by the conflicting figures I have been seeing for the dsg box and manual. The official figures for the manual box seem to indicate that it is faster and more fuel efficent than the dsg. Is this correct as this is contrary to what I believed. I was of the opinion that the dsg was quicker and more efficient than the manual. Does anyone have any figures for.MPG and performance that prove otherwise?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mdmay

Hi,

I'm am currently in the process of ordering a replacement for my current car and would very much like a new VRS with the tsi engine and dsg gearbox. I am a little confused by the conflicting figures I have been seeing for the dsg box and manual. The official figures for the manual box seem to indicate that it is faster and more fuel efficent than the dsg. Is this correct as this is contrary to what I believed. I was if the opinion that the dagger was quicker and more efficient than the manual. Does anyone have any figures for.MPG and performance that prove otherwise?

Cheers

Mike

As far as I know the only DSG model that shows an improvement in official figures for fuel efficiency over the manual is the 1.8TSI. All others show a small fuel penalty. Small price to pay for the DSG that is a wonder to behold.

As for the manual being quicker then that is down to the driver - I reckon that a numpty in a DSG (eg me!) will out accelerate all but the best drivers in a manual. Add the flappy paddles and you have the best of both worlds.

Acceleration in a DSG is also much smoother for passengers than a manual - they are not thrown forward as you momentarily come off the power to change gear - it is all smooth and seamless.

Slower on paper but in the real world the DSG probably is a bit quicker, I don't find the manual change particularly cooperative but maybe that's just me (or my car).

You do have to change gear rather quickly in the manual if you're using all the power.

You get audio controls on the steering wheel (MFSW) with the DSG too, and the option of integrated bluetooth - not available as a factory option on the manual (well at least wasn't when I got mine).

Edited by juan27

I believe the performance is all to do with the type of DSG box fitted. There is a 7 speed dry clutch and a 6 speed wet clutch. The oil in the boxes causing drag and causing a loss of performance over the dry equivalent, but the dry clutches can't be used on engines which produce loads of torque.

i mean by take off from the lights and in gear times, i dont care about top end when am i ever going to do more than 90mph in the current climate. I had a manual vrs on a stage 2 and it was very quick I was wondering if the dsg would be as quick

i mean by take off from the lights and in gear times, i dont care about top end when am i ever going to do more than 90mph in the current climate. I had a manual vrs on a stage 2 and it was very quick I was wondering if the dsg would be as quick

You will be well looked after with the DSG then.

Can somebody please clear somthing up for me. As people have said on this topic, on paper the manual is a bit quicker over the dsg, but people are saying the dsg is quicker. The bit i dont get is why would skoda say the manual is faster if this is not true, as saying the opposite could get them more sales for the dsg. Plus using the word faster is a bit much as we are talking about tenths of seconds.

Can somebody please clear somthing up for me. As people have said on this topic, on paper the manual is a bit quicker over the dsg, but people are saying the dsg is quicker. The bit i dont get is why would skoda say the manual is faster if this is not true, as saying the opposite could get them more sales for the dsg. Plus using the word faster is a bit much as we are talking about tenths of seconds.

OK the manual is quicker if you are fully rested race ready etc and brutal with your gear changes.

On a real day when you aren't really concentrating on being fast because you're on the way to work or you have passengers or some mechanical sympathy the DSG is faster.

Road tests don't always reflect real life!

To be frank even old 3 speed slushbox automatics were faster then manuals if the driver was incapable or unwilling to use a manual to best effect!

Edited by juan27

Did I read somewhere that the DSG has launch mode as well, which should ensure that it consistently acheives its reported 0-60mph claim, whereas the manual will only meet its claim if the driver hasn't b0llockeds up all the variables that can go wrong with a 0-60mph run using a manual?

Did I read somewhere that the DSG has launch mode as well, which should ensure that it consistently acheives its reported 0-60mph claim, whereas the manual will only meet its claim if the driver hasn't b0llockeds up all the variables that can go wrong with a 0-60mph run using a manual?

I think you are correct. If an normally skilled driver did (say) 100 x 0-100mph runs in the manual and then repeated in the DSG the average time in the DSG would be better, I have no doubt.

Go for the DSG, its just awesome, my petrol DSG in the VRS is just superb, its a great combo, relaxed refined lazy driving when you want to, then if you want acceleration, performance etc stick it in sport and it always reminds me of the Fabia VRS advert on telly where they have to try and calm it down in the workshop, then you can have the padels as well if you want to change gear manually, but overall it really does offer every combination a driver could want, and lets be honest, why would you want a clutch in this day and age of heavy traffic, stop start driving etc, you can have all the fun you want on the open road with it in sport or on the padels, also the multi function steering wheel and teh bluetooth option makes it such a better car.

Having driven both manual and DSG, the DSG is the way to go without a doubt, but go get a test drive in both, enjoy!

Do you mean Shift times are quicker or the car itself is actually quicker. If its the latter and all things being equal i.e. driver weight etc than I would assume the manual would be quicker as it's gearbox is probably 30kg's lighter. But to be honest you'd be hard pushed to see the difference in performance in real world conditions.

I would assume the manual would be quicker as it's gearbox is probably 30kg's lighter. But to be honest you'd be hard pushed to see the difference in performance in real world conditions.

But shouldn't the DSG make up for that with its dual clutch driven ability to do full throttle changes?

the shift times will be consistently quicker on the DSG, in hindsight, I wish I had gotten DSG for my VRS, but at the same time Im happy enough to save it for later, for some kind of big power Audi 5 cylinder...

Think if i buy another vrs i will be sticking with the big stick to change gears. the cost to me is not is to dear, quotes for repairs upto 6k. then the terms (faster/quicker) is getting used in a way like the 0/60 times are 2seconds apart, not tenths of seconds or half a car. but at the end of the day its each to there own on what they like and want from a car.

But shouldn't the DSG make up for that with its dual clutch driven ability to do full throttle changes?

More than likely it would probably even out with the DSG probably a few tenths of a second quicker.

There are pro's and cons with both systems and I guess personal preference and the size of your wallet is what it will come down to.

More than likely it would probably even out with the DSG probably a few tenths of a second quicker.

There are pro's and cons with both systems and I guess personal preference and the size of your wallet is what it will come down to.

I suspect the DSG is software limited and could be coded to make less smooth faster changes perhaps?