Dissapointed

A6TDH

No complaints from me either on trim rattles and ride issues, The car seems to get better after the first 10000 miles, engine certainly feels zippier now it's well run in, ride has not been an issue either, although I only have experience of 16" wheels, what I did notice is that my Conti wintercontacts felt even smoother than the summer Goodyears.

What happened?

I got some wheels and trims from you - all good there :thumbup:

I have having an on going problem with my towbar electrics Towbar Thread

On the last service the dealer changed the service interval from variable to fixed without asking or telling me.

When my other half dropped the car off to have the doors resprayed she said she was made to feel like she was a nuisance rather than a valued customer.

Ian

I got some wheels and trims from you - all good there :thumbup:

I have having an on going problem with my towbar electrics Towbar Thread

On the last service the dealer changed the service interval from variable to fixed without asking or telling me.

When my other half dropped the car off to have the doors resprayed she said she was made to feel like she was a nuisance rather than a valued customer.

Ian

dealers vary, same with all brands. I have four possible dealers within easy reach of here. Three I wouldn't touch, one I even take my VW and my wife's Audi to.

No complaints from me either on trim rattles

Count me as another owner with no trim rattle complaints.

As for the ride: I did think when I first got it that it was a less compliant ride than my old Scooby. I certainly have to take some of the speed bumps around here a tad* more gingerly in the Yeti than I did in the Impreza. Having adjusted to that, I never notice it now.

I did suspect that it might be because the Yeti's wheelbase is shorter but in fact it's more than two inches longer. I now put it down partly to the 17" wheels (so I'm expecting it to be better when the winter tyres on 16" wheels go on, probably this coming weekend). My_Yeti's comments about lack of body roll made me think that that might have something to do with it as well. One thing I always liked about the Impreza was the absence of drama in that department when cornering enthusiastically. That the Yeti manages to be almost as good despite sitting a lot higher suggests to me that the chassis has to be that bit more robust in the degree of control it exercises on the sprung weight. If that's the case then I'm more than happy to accept that slight trade-off.

I had an Octavia 2l petrol estate as a courtesy car the other week. The first thing I noticed was that, with the engine idling, the thing was damn near silent. The next thing I noticed was that, once I was moving, there seemed to be noticeably more noise than in the Yeti. And no, not trim rattles ;) but engine and road noise, which I found surprising.

* One tad = one third of a smidgen - except in the US where it is seven nineteenths

• 2 months later...

Well after 3 months of hoping it would grow on me I finally gave in & swapped it for a Vrs Octavia TDI Estate. Really pleased with the new one & so far, sorry, but don't miss the Yeti.

Edited by fordfan
for sale reference removed - please join Freedom if you wish to sell.

Well after 3 months of hoping it would grow on me I finally gave in & swapped it for a Vrs Octavia TDI Estate. Really pleased with the new one & so far, sorry, but don't miss the Yeti.

Wouldn't it be a dull world if we all liked exactly the same things? Sorry your Yeti experience didn't give you the same pleasures many of us have enjoyed, but hope you go on to have great times with the Octavia.

Theres really no need to apologise. :rofl: We are all different and for me, having come from a VRS estate, the Yeti is the better car by far, in fact its the simply the best all round car Ive owned (and Ive been lucky enough to own some nice ones). Good luck with the VRS. :thumbup:

Thread drift - I can't understand why anyone would want a Merc. aka Turkish Taxi. They're not particularly well put together (or is that just the beige ones favoured by german Taxi Operators) and they're not strong. I had a coming together with one a couple of years back with my old Volvo 245 tow-car. He turned across in front of me and I whacked the area of his back wheel. Merc removed from scene on roll-back, much sucking of teeth and "total loss" being muttered (it was!!) All I had to do to the Volvo was push the rubber bumper trim back in.

Looking forward to picking up Skoddy on WSednesday; just waiting for the alarm installation.

BTW when I did the test drive I took the car over a selection of roads i drive daily and it compared well with the Renault Vel Satis it will replace - and much better than my '63 Chevy pick-up.

Besides a 1.8 TSi Yeti, I drive a £60,000 BMW and a Mini. The Yeti, which is on 17" wheels, has the best ride of the three cars in some (not all) respects. The Yeti's build quality is better than that of the Mini and in some ways as solid as that of the BMW, though it can't compete with the quality of materials of the BMW (which, after all, cost three times what the Yeti cost). The Yeti, from March 2011, has no rattles.

So I don't find the weaknesses that the OP finds in the Yeti at all. I have, however, encountered some unreliable electronics; some of the dealers and Skoda UK are very unprofessional compared to BMW in particular; the seats are nowhere near as comfortable or well designed as those of a luxury car; the fuel consumption of the 1.8 petrol engine is not great. Otherwise, I'm content.

Like others, I haven't had the trim rattles on my 59 reg 140 Elegance. Luck or whatever, I'm extremely happy with my Yeti who's second birthday was yesterday.

We had a BMW Mini a few years ago. Build quality was so bad that my wife returned to the Daewoo Matiz that the Mini had replaced. .

My wife has an M-B A Class which rides much better on the road. A far different matter on ice, snow and dirt tracks.

One man's meat is another man's poison in cars as in everything else in life.

John

Back on topic, if the OP had had a CR170 Elegance then his experience might have been different as mentioned earlier.

The vRS estate is a great car and I would be tempted if the Yeti didn't exist.

I personally like the higher driving position (I miss my old RR) yes there are one or two squeaks or rattles, but it is not of the same quality as my previous BMW's. You pay £40,000 you would expect better quality than if you pay £20,000.

I also like the Yeti because it is small. I can park it in tiny (or rather it can park in tiny) spaces, which the Octavia can only dream about :lol:

For me, the Yeti has surpassed all expectations.

But I'm glad we are all different. The world would be a very boring place if we were all the same or all drove Yeti's.

I like the exclusivity the Yeti has. :D:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a PM.

Sorry to hear someone was so disappointed with the Yeti.

Apart from a couple of teething problems I'm satisfied with mine, my expectations were realistically lower than with previous cars considering its half the price. I made the purchase with my eyes open and have been nothing but pleasantly surprised. The car is a pleasure to drive, quick and economic and still quite rare around my parts which is a bonus, in the last two weeks I've only seen one other.

Early days yet but things look good.

Looking forward to picking up Skoddy on WSednesday; just waiting for the alarm installation.

BTW when I did the test drive I took the car over a selection of roads i drive daily and it compared well with the Renault Vel Satis it will replace - and much better than my '63 Chevy pick-up.

You do know that Skodas have alarms fitted already?

Sent from my motorola xoom using tapatalk

Unfortunately it's only a basic one. My insurance reqires a Thatcham Cat. 3 due to the spec.

Good grief, they must be VERY strict in Holland.

I'm intrigued to know why they think the Skoda alarm is only "basic".

Have you checked with Thatcham's on what they list it at?

My insurance reqires a Thatcham Cat. 3 due to the spec.

Are you sure it's a Cat. 3 that is required, as that is just a mechanical immobiliser such as a specific steeringwheel lock available for £35-50?

:dull: :dull:

Are you sure it's a Cat. 3 that is required, as that is just a mechanical immobiliser such as a specific steeringwheel lock available for £35-50?

Yep, got a letter to prove it. Normal situation here. my other cars have it. Standard alarm seems to be only Thatcham class one according to the Thatcham site. Mechanical immobilisor also refers to fuel/ignition shut-off

Standard alarm seems to be only Thatcham class one according to the Thatcham site.

Maybe it's a different spec in the Netherlands but according to http://www.thatcham.org/nvsr/index.jsp?page=200 (note not a UK specific site) the 2010 onwards Skoda Yeti is ***** for "theft of" and **** for "theft from" for all models.

Maybe it's a different spec in the Netherlands but according to http://www.thatcham....ex.jsp?page=200 (note not a UK specific site) the 2010 onwards Skoda Yeti is ***** for "theft of" and **** for "theft from" for all models.

I wondered what swear words you were hiding with the asterisks until I looked at the link and realised it was 'stars' awarded for how good/bad the alarm system is graded :giggle:

I wondered what swear words you were hiding with the asterisks until I looked at the link and realised it was 'stars' awarded for how good/bad the alarm system is graded :giggle:

Just to make it completely clear: five stars is the best score achievable.

I always thought that Thatcham Class 1 was the top of the tree, and Class 3 at the bottom (ie worst).

Have the Dutch got it the wrong way round?

I think you are right. I put a Cat 1 alarm on my Impreza back in 2000 as it was the highest spec available. It behaved very similarly to the way the alarm does in the Yeti eg re-locking the car if it was unlocked with the remote but no doors were actually opened for a certain time (30 seconds? can't remember). It also had a separate dongle that you had to use to disable the immobiliser before starting the engine, but of course that functionality is coded into the key on the Yeti.

It does sound to me as if MacFadyin's insurers might have got their star ratings (which AIUI apply to the vehicle as a whole) and alarm categories confused.

I've checked back through my info. I'd been a bit too quick, It is an SCM approved system, based on the Thatcham standard. However they class 1 as the lowest and 3 as onlyone step below sat. tracking.

Totally irrelevant anyway and nothing whatsoever to do with the price of fish. If a Dutch insurer chooses to insist on this alarm, and I think they all do, then if you don't fit it you're not insured against theft.

Apologies for confusing you

Back on topic, if the OP had had a CR170 Elegance then his experience might have been different as mentioned earlier.

The vRS estate is a great car and I would be tempted if the Yeti didn't exist.

Yup, wise words ....... there is so much variation in the Skoda range with engine types & specs across all models. A generic I came from a VRS and am dissapointed with the 110 etc is not how many 140/170 owners of both engined VRS/SM feel.